Imalent

Thread: LED wiring for motorcycle fog lites

Unenlightened

Sick2 LED wiring for motorcycle fog lites

Friend gave me a pair of TMS ultra bright LED fog lites.....no instructions.....comes with three wires, brown, yellow, and green......he thinks the LED are combination fog/turn signal ....i would just install as fog lights. ....is that a simple two wire hookup?? and if so what to do with the third unused wire.......thanx......

Flashaholic* Alaric Darconville's Avatar

Default Re: LED wiring for motorcycle fog lites

Quote Originally Posted by jajeanquart View Post
    Friend gave me a pair of TMS ultra bright LED fog lites.....no instructions

he thinks the LED are combination fog/turn signal ....i would just install as fog lights. ....

Sounds like these lamps don't conform to any regulatory specifications. Combination turn signal/fog lamps? That's an unlikely combination.

These sound like toys, not roadgoing lights. Probably no safety certifications or approvals. I would not put them on a roadgoing vehicle if I were you. Also, there's no such thing as a combination fog/turn signal. And they likely don't meet the requirements for a fog lamp, a turn signal, or any other category of light.

Haha, these are just the cheapest leds in a housing. Simple tip with LEDs - they're a diode (the D in LED), so if you don't know what wire is which, apply power until they work. That said, what they said, throw away, preferably after you hit them with a hammer.

Just realized 3/4 down the page = months here. Whoops.
    Last edited by Norm; 04-21-2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Language

Quote Originally Posted by Scheinwerfermann View Post
    These sound like toys, not roadgoing lights. Probably no safety certifications or approvals. I would not put them on a roadgoing vehicle if I were you. Also, there's no such thing as a combination fog/turn signal. And they likely don't meet the requirements for a fog lamp, a turn signal, or any other category of light.
    There's your answer. I looked them up and they really are a sort of "novelty" light, I think would be a charitable way to put it. The side lights aren't meant to be a turn signal but more a ring light or side light. They look god awful, and I wouldn't think they would do anything but be very annoying to oncoming traffic, blind you with reflected scatter light in fog and drizzle and just generally be a waste of time to mount or wire.

Here's a link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Mot...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

Flashaholic*

Hmm.... I always like to find some use for things. Maybe these would make handy work lights, under-hood lights, trunk lights, in-bed lights for a truck, or auxiliary backup lights for off road adventures in a 4x4. Or maybe they'd be of some use on an ATV. Too bad they won't be much help on public highways, but there's bound to be a use for them.
    There are two kinds of light - the glow that illumines, and the glare that obscures. ~James Thurber