My CR123A (GOLSTON) Exploded

Mach.84

Newly Enlightened
Actually I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

My TK35 EXPLODED! Here is the detail:

I bought my Fenix flashlight model TK35 from online service provider, Amazon.Com on 7th Feb 2012. I received the TK35 on the 10th and have been using the wonderful light ever since.

However just yesterday, 21st Feb, the TK35 exploded internally while the light is on high for about 7 minutes. I had read various report on the danger of using industry batteries 18650 on these high power flashlight. So from day 1, I had been using the recommended CR123A batteries and it works fine till yesterday.

Details:
- Setting on 'High'
- Use as stand lamp to bounce off ceiling
- Room temperature around 23 degree Celsius (Air conditioning)
- Batteries: * 4 x CR123A (GOLSTON)

After 7 minutes of use, we heard a loud 'Pop' sound and smell something is burning. To our surprise, the light is still on and the burning smell get worse. The click switch does not work because the white spacer within the rubber boot got expel out through the tear on the rubber boot. So, I had to twist the head of the TK35 to turn off the light.

After the incident, I removed the batteries holder and discover that one of the CR123A battery had exploded and fuse itself to the plastic holder. I begin to wonder if the driver on the TK35 had malfunction to draw such current that it generate such heat that cause one of the CR123A to explode and fuse itself to the plastic holder. I had other LED flashlight which I bought few years back which I am still using with the same brand of batteries without any problem. So sad... I love this flashligh but it failed on me just 2 weeks of using it. :(

Can anyone here advise how or what I should do next. I just email Fenix and hope they will reply soon. Just wondering if I should return to Amazon or Fenix.... Anyway, will post pics soon. Once again, thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

hazna

Enlightened
Re: My TK35 Exploded!

were the 4xcr123A batteries well match? If one of the batteries were more used than the others, as you run down the light, the lower capacity cr123a could be reversed charged.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pictures?

What brand of CR123s were you using? (Note - Golston? Every thread on CPF shows many people saying they are crap chinese cells.)

Were they all brand new and not mixed when installed? How long had you been using this batch of batteries?

It's possible you drained too low or at too high a current.

americanpiegamer188

Newly Enlightened

I begin to wonder if the driver on the TK35 had malfunction to draw such current that it generate such heat that cause one of the CR123A to explode and fuse itself to the plastic holder.

More likely - the batteries weren't at the same voltage and the culprit were the CR123's

Mach.84

Newly Enlightened

Wow, thanks guys.... Those were quick replies. Will post the pic as soon as I compress them.

The CR123A is by GOLSTON I bought few years back with my Surefire C3 and they are all new when I install them into the TK35. All 4 are the same brand. Oppss.... Donch know they are crap. :oops:

I presume they all same voltage when new. Just wondering how then should I know when to replace the CR123A if it start to draw high current? Really confuse now... I thought CR123A is the safest but.... :confused:
Thanks again for ur quick reply.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Quality 123s are indeed safe, the problem is that cheap 123s are not; just off the top of my head I can recall more stories posted here of cheap 123s exploding than Li-ions.

Stick to trusted brand 123s and use a multimeter to check their voltage for pairing/grouping; Harbor Freight has multimeters for $2.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had unused Chinese CR123's read as 0% capacity on my zts tester after 2yrs in storage. Other Chinese cells read at 80%. Mixing the two together in a high power light has disaster written all over it.

Poor quality Chinese primaries are less safe than using good quality LiIon cells. However there are tons of low quality LiIon cells to avoid as well.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I'd say your subject line should really read "One of my 123's melted"

As your light didn't actually explode.

:D

Mach.84

Newly Enlightened

*sigh* how could I use such crap in a flashlight. Funny thing is, when I insert these crap into the C3, it just wouldn't power up. But the instant when I install them into TK35, it just light up! So, I thought is fine to use them.

I do have a multimeter but I donch use it to check capacity, just voltage. These 4 CR123A when new, was 3.26v each and had never mixed with others. I was using it on high for the whole night the day before without any problem till yesterday. I guess if a LED flashlight is voltage driven, this will not happen.

Any suggestion what should I do next? Really miss the TK35.

Norm

Retired Administrator
R : My CR123A (GOLSTON) Exploded

Opppssss.... U are very right on that! Can I change the subject?

Edited for you.

For future reference, click edit post, then go to advanced and edit your title from there.

Norm

Last edited:

Mach.84

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Norm! I tried edit function but didn't venture into advance option. Now I know.
Cheers! :)

Oh btw, anyone have any suggestion what I should do next? Thanks in advance.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a TK35 for a while and I agree its a great light. I think the main problem you had is that the regulation on the light is very good so it was able to keep pulling more current as the cells depleted and really pull that weak one into a bad state (possibly a reverse charge).

Oh btw, anyone have any suggestion what I should do next? Thanks in advance.

Well - leave it to us to be sure to help you spend your hard earned money. :naughty:

First off - sounds like you need a new TK35.

Then, if you want to continue with CR123s I would look into Surefire, Energizer, Rayovac, etc cells. And then you will want, of course a ZTS battery tester to load test the batteries.

Although I would recommend you look into some quality protected 18650 cells. Do some searching on the AW black cells on the site and you'll see that they are very reliable. A good charger, like a Pila charger, will set you back a bit but you'll be guaranteed to be charging you cells properly.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
ps - saw that you had posted over in selfbuilt's TK35 review thread and his answer was very informative and really to the point of what everyone has said here.

Link

Mach.84

Newly Enlightened
Hi Norm, thanks for the questions. Indeed that was exactly what I was thinking how to salvage this light.

Hi shineonyoucrazydiamond, I had replied on that thread and think its better to post the pics here as not to duplicate it. I do have Energizer CR123A but I only use them on my incan C3 because that crap batteries could not even power up my C3. Damn lesson learned!!! :mad: Guess what.... my Pila and panny 18650 (protected) are on the way here and this happend... arrhhh what a luck! Pics intensive.

Edit: Norm, if it is too much I will remove some pics. Cheers!

Click on image for a bigger frame.

TK35_Main_Body_Rear.jpg

Sorry for the small pics as this is my first ever pics posted. Still learning. :)http://postimage.org/image/gyvq4x0en/

Last edited:

Fulaeetoy

Newly Enlightened
Scary... Many users have issues on CR123a. Be careful guys.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow...that light looks like it got 2nd place in an arse kicking contest...sorry to hear. Yeah, buy quality cells. As far as pairing, I just keep mine together by writing "codes" on them. I'll move two cells to another 2-cell light, but never 4 cells to two two cells...they would be used in single cell lights. If you want to get the most out of your batteries, get a nice battery vampire. Hope Fenix or Amazon helps you out...and, yeah, glad no one got hurt.