Simple battery question about Jetbeam E3s

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
Eventually, my stupid day one questions will stop the more I learn, I assure you. Lol

I've searched and just don't find much on the Jetbeam E3s on here. Not even a review.

The specs of the light say 155ish lumens on a "standard" AA battery. Assuming that's a regular alkaline.

Is it safe to use any sort of rechargeable in here? I know not a 10440s or anything crazy. But I'm just not sure what's safe when it comes to the different type of AA's out there that are rechargeable.

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Alkalines and NiMH rechargeables as you would find in a store are essentially always interchangeable; in fact NiMH cells don't experience as much voltage sag when driven hard as alkalines do, so you'll find they provide more output over a longer period of time, with much better regulation.

There's a lengthy E3 review here.

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the link. Question, any recommendations on which NiMH batteries would be preferred? Just simple Duracell or Energizers from Walmart, etc.?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Sanyo Eneloops are the perennial best-tested brand; if you happen to be a member at Costco, they sometimes run good deals on starter kits there, otherwise any of your local big box stores.

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
So I just need the regular 2nd gen Eneloops right? Not the 'XX' offerings?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
XXs will give you roughly 25% more runtime, however they only charge ~500 times, standard Eneloops are rated for 1500 recharges. So if you use your light constantly and really need a bit more runtime, as in a professional application, go with the XXs, otherwise the standard longer-lasting Eneloops are a better deal.

Also, if this light is going to be left in a car (the E3 is my current favorite in-car light because of it's durability and simplicity), skip rechargeables altogether and use Energizer Lithiums, which can handle the temperature extremes the interior of your car experiences.

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
This will be a new EDC for me to replace my Microstream. (Purchased the EX11 clip).

So i think I'll just get the regular Eneloops.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It will be quite a change for you mass-wise; the Jetbeam weighs over three times more than the Streamlight, but you can't beat stainless steel durability. Hope you enjoy your serious new tool.

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
I think I will. :)

I had another question.. I'm reading a lot about how complicated it is to manage and upkeep rechargeables... And a lot of people are saying the MaHa C-9000 charger is the best or highly recommended. I already spent $50ish on my Pila charger for my Jetbeam 18650's and it's worked flawlessly for about a year now. Will the supplied charger for the Eneloops work and not give me any issues? I guess regarding overcharging, auto-switch to trickle charging after a full charge, thermo-switch protection, etc.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The basic kit charger doesn't really have any features, you just put your batteries in and wait for the lights to signal completion; this is perfectly fine for everyday use, just make sure that if the instructions tell you to charge in pairs that you do so - most basic chargers can't charge cells singly.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'm not sure how to tell by the packaging, but if you look on the individual cells, the newer version will have the image of a crown on them. Either way, your kit will give you many years of use.

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
Well I'll find out Saturday when they get delivered. Along with my light :)

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
Got the light on Thursday. It's nice. Took a While to get the clip to fit, but finally got it to work. Batteries came in today, a day early as well. Crown on them. Now to read and charge :). Thanks for all your help.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If the threads or o-ring on your light looks/feels dry, be sure to read up on proper cleaning and lube procedure. And remember that the o-ring is like wiper blades on a car, it's meant to be replaced over time or if anything goes wrong with it. With just a bit of care, you'll have the option of passing on your new light to your grandkids one day..

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
I know this is about my E3s but what is a good light with a lot of throw, lumens, on RCR123 or one 18650 that is about 5" long or so for under $125. I have a coupon code to take 15% off so keep that in mind too

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If you can fudge your length and price requirement a bit, a Thrunite Scorpion V2 with the optional Turbohead would come closest to your requirements off the top of my head, it's just over 6" and $160 for both.

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
Is that something that can be had at light junction?

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
Hmm very tempting. I can have the light for like $109. And the head for the $30... But idk