Battery Junction - Olight

Thread: Nitecore Defender Infinity- get one or not?

Hybrid View

Default Nitecore Defender Infinity- get one or not?

Hey all,
    last year I was about to order a Nitecore Defender Infinity, but it was sold out here and I got a nice Sunwayman light instead. I just found a seller in Europe who still has some. What do you guys think, the light is already a bit outdated, is it still worth it? I like the design and can live with it being less efficient and less bright than some other more up to date flashlights. But there are other lights I could get for the money. Hopefully some of you who have and perhaps still use yours can chime in and share some thoughts. To buy or not to buy?

Thanks.
    UK Q40, Inova X5, Inova X1, Inova T2, Fenix L1, Novatac EDC85, Xeno E06, SWM M20A, SWM C10A, NDI GDP, SWM V20A, SWM M40A, Xeno E03, Fenix E25, Fenix LD12.

Default Re: Nitecore Defender Infinity- get one or not?

I preordered my Defender Infinity from Nitecore on CPFM when it was introduced and had not yet been made. It is true that upon receiving it I had some initial problems which I am happy to say that I could solve without returning the light (very accurate cleaning of the threads + replacement of o-rings). There was a long thread here where many users exchanged tips on the subject. Since then the light has operated flawlessly and is still going strong.

You know that by current standards NDI is comparatively inefficient and the amount of light it puts out is not staggering. NDI is however a true milestone in the story of variable level flashlights and it is for this reason that I still use mine happily and would advise you to get one. It is like having in your pocket a small piece of history and this is quite rewarding for people who like these things. If on the contrary you go for performance or state of the art technology NDI is not for you.

Kilovolt, grazie mille for the reply. You're right, it's not really efficient by today's standards, but the NDI has this "something" that appeals to me. I don't have that often, so efficiency wouldn't matter that much. Since I carry two lights most of the time, one less efficient won't be a problem at all. Lights are supposed to be fun too, not just stats.

NDI may have less lumens, but lumens are not everything.... I have r2 D10 (similar to NDI) and it throws better than Zebralight sc51, though sc51 lights up wider area and is more floody.

if you can catch one at a good price, those are nice lights, especially if you can get the latest version with the xp-e r2 led and it's nice smooth beam.
    it feels very solid in hands : thick walls, square threads, agressive bezel.
    the simple UI with the forward clicky is what i miss the most when i switch to other lights.

however there are some cons:

-the tint on mine was on the uggly blue side of the cool-white, but they are easy to open for a led-swap.
    -the led was not very well centered : doesn't affect the beam and also easy to fix.

Nice and easy to use. Form factor is also one-of-a-kind. Still packs a punch in the dark, especially with a 14500.
    Tip: You can get a D11.2 ti clip and install on the NDI.

Last edited by Zeruel; 02-22-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrakas View Post
    NDI may have less lumens, but lumens are not everything.... I have r2 D10 (similar to NDI) and it throws better than Zebralight sc51, though sc51 lights up wider area and is more floody.
    Exactly how I feel, the mode I use mostly on my fav light is the 4 Lumens low. You have to appreciate the low modes.

Quote Originally Posted by TiC View Post
    if you can catch one at a good price, those are nice lights, especially if you can get the latest version with the xp-e r2 led and it's nice smooth beam.
    it feels very solid in hands : thick walls, square threads, agressive bezel.
    the simple UI with the forward clicky is what i miss the most when i switch to other lights.

however there are some cons:

-the tint on mine was on the uggly blue side of the cool-white, but they are easy to open for a led-swap.
    -the led was not very well centered : doesn't affect the beam and also easy to fix.
    With my luck I'll get a nasty tint. Solid build with thick walls is what I'm looking for. And the bezel looks great too. I'll have to check which version is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruel View Post
    Nice and easy to use. Form factor is also one-of-a-kind. Still packs a punch in the dark, especially with a 14500.
    Tip: You can get a D11.2 ti clip and install on the NDI.
    Can't say what exactly it is, but the formfactor is very good, I really like the look of the NDI.

Thanks for the input guys, and thanks for sharing some pics.

Flashaholic*

If the price is right, I say get it. Great light and not picky about the chemistry of the "AA" that it's fed. It wasn't that long ago that 60 lumens was considered "tactical".
    The NDI easily surpasses that.

Party Re: Nitecore Defender Infinity- get one or not?

I would buy one, if they price is acceptable to you. I had three of them for a couple of years. The latest version, IIRC, used a cool white XP-E, R2 bin. It had a very smooth beam. (There was also a cool white XR-E, R2 bin, with a bit more throw than the XP-E.) The first version used the XR-E Q5 bin, and I had a tough time telling the difference in output between that one and my XP-E R2 version. There were also some made with the Osram Golden Dragon emitter. I never saw one of those, but I've had a couple of lights with that emitter, and they have a great beam with a tight spot and good throw.

My favorite was one with the XP-E Q3 with a 5A or B neutral tint emitter, which had a smooth beam, decent output and throw, and a very nice, almost warm incan-ish tint.

They are no longer the brightest or most efficient lights, but they offer a respectable high, and a second mode you can set yourself, and a strobe which stays out of the way in the UI. This should handle most lighting tasks pretty well.
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

I also would advise you to get one. Great light, small, bright and versatile.
    SureFire UB3T Invictus; TrustFire X6; LumaPower MVP (3xCree) , Sunwayman V11R; 4Sevens Quark AA Tactical, Electrolumens EDC-P7; Nitecore DI (R2, GDP, Q5); LiteFlux LF2XT-R2, LF2X

Thanks again. Still waiting for a response whether they actually have any in stock, or in one case whether they ship to Germany. Hopefully. There's one (I suppose) chinese online store that have them. Supposedly 200 in stock, I doubt it.

@ Mr Moe: I tried to answer your PM but I got this message

The following errors occurred with your submission

• Mr_Moe has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

They show up, although infrequently, on the Marketplace. You should you keep a look-out over there.
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown