Has anyone ever used strobe mode?

idleivey

Newly Enlightened
I just got a new light and its got strobe as one of its mode. Has anyone actually found a practical use for it? I saw it advertised as a self-defense feature, and while the strobe does make me noxious its seems like your better off just shining the high in someone eyes then messing with a strobe. Anyone got any stories were they have actually used it?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hello idleivey, welcome to CPF. :wave:

I have moved this thread to the /LED Flashlights/ discussion subforum.

With regards to the usefulness of the strobe function, this is rather a touchy topic, I would very much recommend using the search function for existing threads on this topic. With regards to self-defense, it has been well-established that this is a poor topic for flashlight discussion, so let's keep away from that or this thread will need to be closed.

Would someone be so kind as to direct the OP to an existing thread on this?

Thanks & best regards,
K

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
Yes...often. I found it to be a very effective tool for dealing with free-roaming aggressive dogs at night. I've found that a high intensity strobe is more effective than non-strobe. This is why I strongly prefer lights that give you instant access to the strobe mode...whether the light is on or off. "Buried" or "Hidden" strobe modes are, IMHO, useless.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use strobe fairly often, as a police officer it comes in handy for several uses. I signal other units who may be looking for a scene or an ambulance. I have used it to dis orient intoxicated persons. I have used it to just annoy people so I can move in with less anticipation. I will not use a light that does not have strobe and have little use if the mode is hidden deep in the interface

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it boils down to preference. I for one do not use it and prefer it to be hidden or not there at all as it's a pain to have to cycle through it just to get to other output modes. Luckily there are more options with the flashlights that are coming out that keep it hidden or make it so that its available but takes a little more effort to activate it. I think there is something for everyone nowadays.

idleivey

Newly Enlightened
Cool interesting responses everyone! I do agree that having to cycle through modes is a PIA, I've got a Coast light that has a hidden low beam (half click to cycle through modes, full click goes straight into full) and I think its a pretty nice compromise. I think ill start carrying my strobe with me on dog walks, I hadn't thought to use it on aggressive dogs. Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses.

Racer

Enlightened
I gave one of those DX (XP-G R5) lights to my daughter with a 14500 she brings back to me to charge every couple weeks. She keeps the mode memory set to strobe since she's in college and has to sometimes walk alone to her car at night. She practices using the strobe and swears it makes her feel a little safer, which makes me feel a little better.

So I think the strobe mode has value in certain rare situations. But most of the time it's just in the way. I don't mind having it as long as it's tucked out of the way. If I have to cycle through it every time I want to change modes then it's a deal breaker for me.

I like how my Thrunite Neutron 1C has it setup. It's there if I someday need it, and it's out of the way when I don't.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I have an older EternaLight which has four 5mm LEDs in row at the front and 3 AA cells powering the unit. It has a rugged yellow plastic case. It has a number of different modes, but one I found useful for riding my bicycle. In addition to the regular front and rear LED lights I had mounted on the frame, I also dangled the EternaLite from a short lanyard from my backpack when I would ride my bike home from work at 1 am; the main beam was pointed down, but there was plenty of 'splash'. I estimate there is about a half-second delay between the brief 'blinks'.

It worked incredibly well for me - drivers would always pass well to my left as I cycled. I imagine it's questionable from a legal standpoint, since it doesn't conform to typical lighting for a bicycle, but I felt that would be ignored if I were stopped, since the light was on my backpack, not mounted to the bike's frame.

wuyeah

Enlightened
I did one time in a big Karaoke party about 30+ ppl. We were drunk and people were dancing.

tam17

Enlightened
Flashlight strobe is great tool for drawing attention of drivers in night traffic if you're pedestrian or a cyclist. But caution must be used b/c you can easily cause distraction and nuisance instead of making others aware of your presence, so I never use strobe to shine directly in drivers' eyes. I usually have strobe mode preset and flashlight ready for immediate use, or fastened on my other gear to shine on the road down my leg, creating a visible reflection. There is a terrifying death rate among bikers, pedestrians and cyclists in my country and I don't want to become a part of statistics.

Cheers,

Tam

PhillyRube

Enlightened
I use strobe fairly often, as a police officer it comes in handy for several uses. I signal other units who may be looking for a scene or an ambulance. I have used it to dis orient intoxicated persons. I have used it to just annoy people so I can move in with less anticipation. I will not use a light that does not have strobe and have little use if the mode is hidden deep in the interface

Same thing.....

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use it (and give strobing lights to others and recommend them) for crossing streets, both day and night.

I have put diffusers on the lights used for this so it's not blinding when pointed in their direction, and it's noticeable from a wide angle, not just where it's pointed.
(Used little plastic domes that contact lenses come in for the diffuser, as they bulge out of the bezel making visibility even better)

The Trustfire Z-1 has been the handiest one to carry and give others, for this, as it has only high, low, and strobe and remembers its setting.

The number of pedestrians, bicyclists and skateboarders hit by drivers is astonishing.

I've also jumped off a city bus one rainynight when I saw a hit-and-run driver had left a pedestrian lying in an unlit crosswalk -- and used my little everyday pocket light to halt traffic in the intersection until the emergency crew arrived (others were making the phone call and seeing to first aid as I got there).

I found people would come up to about a block away, stop, back up and take another route instead of coming on into the intersection where I was standing with the flashlight.

nickbubblehead

Newly Enlightened
I have used strobe quite a bit here in Morocco. It is perfect to signal others to where I am. Especially in Casablanca where it is absolutely chaotic, all the cars, people etc. Sometimes it is difficult to find the other person and there only 50ft from me! Just call them up on the cell and tell them to look for the strobe. Now, the SOS feature? Don't think I will need that. I hope!

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has Anyone Ever Used Strobe Mode?

I wonder how effective that mode is with a traffic cone for directing traffic.

buds224

Enlightened
Re: Has Anyone Ever Used Strobe Mode?

I agree that strobe being hidden makes it more of a utility rather than a self defense tool. I did pick up a Klarus XT11 that has a separate switch for instant strobe which makes it more accessible and still not part of the mode cycle. I also agree that aggressive dogs do not like strobe.

With that said, I rarely use it, but glad I have it available.

Shooter21

Enlightened

strobe is extremely useful since i ride my bike everyday and its useful when you need to stop and fix a flat tire.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

The first time I used strobe was on an aggresive intoxicated subject back when the gladius was state of the art. He needed a bit of persuading and ended up on the ground. Two days later he claims I had tazed him. Of course a check of the tazer showed It had not been used.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast

The first time I used strobe was on an aggresive intoxicated subject back when the gladius was state of the art. He needed a bit of persuading and ended up on the ground. Two days later he claims I had tazed him. Of course a check of the tazer showed It had not been used.

way to go!!!

a possible point to consider is curently most maggots are not that aware of strobe LED lights on flashlights so a moment of confusion in addition to temporary loss of clear vision could be help.

I had a couple spaced out vermin head my direction when their car approached mine at night in a SE Wash DC neighborhood. At that time I EDC'd a Nitecore Extreme set on strobe. I raised the NC EX from behind my windshield pressed the strobe for about 2 seconds and they veered away (no longer laughing :eek:) and headed in a different direction.

Last edited:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened

I've never been a fan of the strobe mode and chuckle at the thought of it being useful in a "tacticul situation". I know many police officers really like it and my suspicion was it is a tool to "annoy" people, rowdy kids, drunks at parties etc. Maybe a mall cop wanted to be taken seriously :)

The signally part is a good point I hadn't really thought of though. If I'm in a situation its ok to use light I would signal someone by just shining on them; however I suppose if there were lots of other lights out there your's being a strobe would set it apart and make it useful for signalling.
I'm a little extra "anti-strobe" at the moment though as my thrunite scorpion is broken and it randomly switches into strobe from firefly which is insanely annoying.

On a similar subject I've always wondered if anyone here has had a situation where the SOS mode has come thru for you?