14500 batteries & charger options....

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
I'm ordering a few lights that allegedly can handle AA *and* 14500 batteries.

One of them gets twice the brightness by moving from 1xAA to 1x14500 battery.

Only problem is I don't know if there ary any brands that are safe-bets or any that I should steer clear from.

Do any local retailers actually sell these type of batteries/chargers??

Thanks!

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered this charger, for just under $5.... http://www.dealextreme.com/p/universal-smart-quick-charger-recharges-all-batteries-100-240v-ac-14885 -- charges any ONE type of battery at a time, without needing a switch to move between 1.2 or 3.7 or 4.2 volts.

MORE INFO....

- Of these four flashlights I just bought, one says it can handle 4.5V max, two say they can handle 4.2V max, and one says it can handle 3.7V max.

- Reviews state that the charger will stop charging unprotected cells at 4.23V or less, which I believe includes 3.7V batteries.

MORE QUESTIONS....

- Will 4.23V unprotected batteries be good for a flashlight that can handle 4.2V max??

- Should I just pay a bit more for the protected cells, since the flashlights will NOT likely have discharge protection??

- Is it bad for a 3.7V cell to be charged to (with?) 4.2V, and then dropped in a flashlight designed for 3.7V max??

Sorry for the questions. Never knew I could double my output with a similarly shaped battery, tho. This is all news to me.

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps all the rechargeable 14500s are 3.6V / 3.7V, while all the non-rechargeable 14500s are 4.2V.... similar to the way rechargeable AAs are 1.2V and alakaline AAs are 1.5V.

AmiRight? ... Or AmiRight?

RBWNY

Enlightened
Perhaps all the rechargeable 14500s are 3.6V / 3.7V, while all the non-rechargeable 14500s are 4.2V.... similar to the way rechargeable AAs are 1.2V and alakaline AAs are 1.5V.

:thinking: This is getting confooosing!!

Perhaps it might help if you listed the lights you're buying. It's your last statement though that got me wondering. I've NEVER seen a 4.2 14500. They are 3.7 ... like 16340's. All 14500's are rechargeable. The only relation they have to an AA is their size. Generally speaking you'll be safer with protected cells. Please also DO NOT buy no-name cells from DealExtreme, or eBay for that matter. You'd be only setting yourself up with unpredictable and possibly DANGEROUS equipment.

Next is that charger. Looks like pure junk. Please do some research on here, and be prepared to spend at least $15 - 20. Do a Google search on the Xtar WP II, for starters. You should have a charger that uses correct charging algorithms.

Further clarification needed?-- if I'm not answering your questions clearly or correctly.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Li Ion batteries ca n be a bit more tricky than whatever rechargeables you're used to, and the penalty for mishandling can get as serious as your house burning down. A little knowledge can help you use them safely ... and since the quoted part, and many of your other questions, seem to indicate you're completely new to the technology and don't understand it yet, I'd urge you to:

1. Get a little knowledge. Maybe start with a beginner's primer? http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?329321-Li-ion-beginner-primer&highlight=primer
2. Start with high quality products only, not the DX cells *or* chargers, etc. This is not a technology to cheap out on, particularly if you don't know what you're doing

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
I guess the confusion comes in with people claiming that this charger charges 3.6/3.7 Volt batteries with ~4.2 Volts (give or take ~0.05 V).

If you click the page with all the reviews for that charger, you'll end up here --> http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks/BrowseReviews.dx/sku.14885

I can't really see anything negative against this charger, other than it saying that it charges at 4.2 Volts. Is this a good/bad thing?

Other reviewers state that 1.2 Volt batteries charge at 1.4 Volts [tested]. Is this a good/bad thing?

The lights I purchased were also from DX. Five different ones for about $66 total. But I do have to wait for them, as they, along with the charger are in the "BackOrder" phase.

I'm going to stick with the charger and AW protected cells. Now... should I stick with 3.7 Volts, or is there some advantage to going with 3.6 Volts??

And where would be the cheapest and/or best place to order these AW cells??

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the confusion comes in with people claiming that this charger charges 3.6/3.7 Volt batteries with ~4.2 Volts (give or take ~0.05 V).

3.6/3.7 is nominal voltage; 4.2 is max voltage. Same cells, different voltage depending on whether it's fresh off the charge or in use. It's not a problem.

If you click the page with all the reviews for that charger, you'll end up here --> http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks/BrowseReviews.dx/sku.14885

I can't really see anything negative against this charger, other than it saying that it charges at 4.2 Volts. Is this a good/bad thing?

So, when it comes to this technology, you probably shouldn't use reviews on the commercial site to guide you. You want chargers that are independently tested to use the proper algorithm, which those DX chargers don't. I wouldn't even allow that in my house, lest someone use it by accident -- but I"m cautious.

You really, really want to at least read the primer and do a little reading!

RBWNY

Enlightened
Yes you have :) 4.2V (plus or minus .05V) is max voltage off the charger. 3.7V is nominal voltage. Same cells!

Well yes, charge voltage of course... It seemed he was talking about a 4.2 volt 14500 cell....which again I've never seen.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP is just a bit confused as to the technology in general right now...

Reviews state that the charger will stop charging unprotected cells at 4.23V or less, which I believe includes 3.7V batteries.

MORE QUESTIONS....

- Will 4.23V unprotected batteries be good for a flashlight that can handle 4.2V max??

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
Yup, definitely confused as I slept through Physics 2. :tired:

Anyway, I appreciate the Li-ion Beginner Primer, Joe... but I'm too tired for all that lingo, too. :ironic:

After looking at some reviews @ DX for 14500 batteries, I'm starting to see that they're not completely bad. At worst, I get four batteries w/ 100mAh LESS than the 750 AWs. At best, I get four batteries w/ 100mAh MORE than the 750 AWs.

Think I'll go with one pair of each of the protected TrustFire 14500s I see at DX...

- http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustf...7v-900mah-lithium-batteries-2-pack-blue-19626
- http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustf...h-rechargeable-lithium-batteries-2-pack-26124

Looks like I won't be reading the primer until one of my $10 lights explodes. But it seems like a better bet than one $10 battery. Maybe it's just me, tho... :eek:oo:

I'm mostly just trying this all out with a trial and error process, because I've been able to pick up 5 flashlights, four of which accept 14500 batteries, a charger that works with ANY battery (including 9Volts, too!), and four protected 14500 batteries... all for about $80!!

Last time I came here to CPF, you guys had me spend like $70 on a Fenix L2D Q5. Even if 2 flashlights and 2 li-ion batteries go bust... I'm still coming out ahead, methinks.

Last edited:

RBWNY

Enlightened
Yup, definitely confused as I slept through Physics 2. :tired:

Anyway, I appreciate the Li-ion Beginner Primer, Joe... but I'm too tired for all that lingo, too. :ironic:

After looking at some reviews @ DX for 14500 batteries, I'm starting to see that they're not completely bad. At worst, I get four batteries w/ 100mAh LESS than the 750 AWs. At best, I get four batteries w/ 100mAh MORE than the 750 AWs.

Think I'll go with one pair of each of the protected TrustFire 14500s I see at DX...

- http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustf...7v-900mah-lithium-batteries-2-pack-blue-19626
- http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustf...h-rechargeable-lithium-batteries-2-pack-26124

Looks like I won't be reading the primer until one of my $10 lights explodes. But it seems like a better bet than one $10 battery. Maybe it's just me, tho... :eek:oo:

I'm mostly just trying this all out with a trial and error process, because I've been able to pick up 5 flashlights, four of which accept 14500 batteries, a charger that works with ANY battery (including 9Volts, too!), and four protected 14500 batteries... all for about $80!!

Last time I came here to CPF, you guys had me spend like $70 on a Fenix L2D Q5. Even if 2 flashlights and 2 li-ion batteries go bust... I'm still coming out ahead, methinks.

You can ONLY charge -- rechargeables! 9V ??? WHAT??? :eek:

Anyway, I have experience with the RED FLAME Trustfire. Mine have been fine. Most others on this board WON'T give high marks for the BLUE set. For some reason, the RED flamers are trusted more. Of course you were previously advised to spend $70 on a Fenix. It's a quality light!!! I however wouldn't agree that spending $80 on all that equipment, even if only half work, is coming out ahead. Sorry :shakehead. I can't say however that I always make the right decisions either. But with THIS particular hobby, we learn through our experiences.

Last edited:

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
You can ONLY charge -- rechargeables! 9V ??? WHAT??? :eek:

Anyway, I have experience with the RED FLAME Trustfire. Mine have been fine. Most others on this board WON'T give high marks for the BLUE set. For some reason, the RED flamers are trusted more. Of course you were previously advised to spend $70 on a Fenix. It's a quality light!!! I however wouldn't agree that spending $80 on all that equipment, even if only half work, is coming out ahead. Sorry :shakehead. I can't say however that I always make the right decisions either. But with THIS particular hobby, we learn through our experiences.
I'm definitely trying to learn through my own experiences, alright. FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! :devil:

I am going to cancel my order for the blues and then just get 2 packs of the "flamers".

I don't know if I should or shouldn't be posting links... but I'm having very good results using these batteries here in my 14500 applications

http://www.avidvaper.com/products/IMR14500-3.7v--High-Drain-Li-MN-Battery.html
Cool beans. Another vape site I saw had the cheapest price for some protected AWs.... only problem with the IMRs is that I don't trust myself to stop "over discharging" them.

I've glanced at Joe's n00b guide, and from my understanding.... n00bs should be using PROTECTED cells!!

The charger I got (yes, it charges all types of rechargeables, including 9Vs!!) is best used with protected Li-Ions, and these TrustFIRE "red flamers" are protected Li-Ions.

These previous 2 lines of mine are all a n00b needs to know.... This charger + These batteries = ~$10 for 3 week shipping delay = hopefully functional flashlights that don't burn the house down.

The engineers who shower me with knowledge I cannot possibly use in day to day life need a reality check. People come here because of the free market, not because they want to create or maintain batteries. They want solutions that work. A better "n00b Guide" would be very simple....

- These 10450 batteries WORK in this light #1.
- These 10450 batteries DON'T WORK in this light #1.
- These different 10450 batteries WORK in this light #2.
- These different 10450 batteries DON'T WORK in this light #2.

- These 14550 batteries WORK in this light #1.
- These 14550 batteries DON'T WORK in this light #1.
- These different 14550 batteries WORK in this light #2.
- These different 14550 batteries DON'T WORK in this light #2.

Get the idea? Either they work, or they don't work.....

I only want to buy what works. If you're worried about safety, then make sure you're only recommending protected cells. That seems like a no-brainer for people who want "fool proof" setups.

Perhaps you could even add in conditional statements, like "if you can wait 3 weeks, go protected TrustFire Red from <insert link here>"... "or else go protected AW from <insert link here>".

One more time... n00bs dislike the physics. n00bs dislike the chemistry. n00bs love the flashlights!!! If they're best served with protected cells, then give them a list of websites that distribute protected cells. Bonus points for starting a list of flashlights that can -or- can't use certain cells.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
grandson said:
One more time... n00bs dislike the physics. n00bs dislike the chemistry. n00bs love the flashlights!!!

This might be a "speak for yourself" moment, right? You don't want to learn, but there are lots and lots of folks who do.

If they're best served with protected cells, then give them a list of websites that distribute protected cells. Bonus points for starting a list of flashlights

Resistance to learning aside, you must have figured out by now it's not just about protected cells and what lights take them. It's about high quality cells and high quality chargers ... Not finding low-quality cells at the cheapest price -- at least for a beginner, IMO. Which is why the standard advice is against that charger you have and therefore cells, etc. That said, you've educated yourself a bit, and made your decisions, so that's fine. But not everyone is so resistant to understand the very basics, what makes for a safe combination, etc.

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I am a misfit sometimes.

I'm not exactly "resistant to learning", at least not nearly as much as I am willing and able to learn.

My points, as you'll see at the end of your "Li-Ion primer", are that.... if you're going to spoonfeed people, at least try to hide the spoon.

:)

Have a good one!!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol, I'm going to have to remember that spoonfeeding quote. Thanks for the feedback on the primer, I'll think about your recommendations a bit and respond...