KL6 to C3 Body Adapter

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok,
This thread contains some speculation about the upcoming 5W LED heads/systems from SF so if that gets under your dentures, you might want to skip this post. However, if you suspect that the KL6 head will be the most extreme performance head SF will release in the near term(?), and you would rather not pay a $100 premium for the M3 body tube to use it with, then read on.

The fact that the KL6 is designed or use with the M3 and M6 implies that it will be the highest performing model (speculation alert). The fact that the M3 seems to have a head that is incompatible with the C3 or M2 implies that the threading must be different (speculation alert). The fact that 3 cells is three cells, at least as a power source implies that the KL6 head should work on the C3 or P3 bodies as well as the M3 (speculation alert).

Having said all of the above, what I would like is the ability to run the KL6 head on the C3 body (not too bad looking and suiting my casual torch usage) instead of the way too complicated, clunky and expensive, high tactical functionality M3 body.

So, the simple and not speculative question I ask is this: "What would it take in terms of an adapter to run an M3 bezel on a C3 body tube?

Wilkey

K-T

*Moderator*
This would indeed be an interesting adapter since then the SIS Turboheads used on the M3T, M4 and M6 could be used with the M2, C2 or C3!

Klaus.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Wilkey
It looks to me like the only difference is the diameter. I took the heads off a C2 & a M3. They seem to be the same distance from the batteries, but the head of a C2 will fit inside the head of the M3. I think the adaptor would only be a collar.

K-T

*Moderator*
Yup, an adaptor collar is needed like the E2C adapters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I believe the appropriate adapter would resemble a helicoil or thin wall bushing; threaded both inside (C size) and outside (M3 size)

- Don

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
I believe the appropriate adapter would resemble a helicoil or thin wall bushing; threaded both inside (C size) and outside (M3 size)

- Don

[/ QUOTE ]

How about making it a battery extender also, so you could put it on a C2, M2 or if you don't mind mixing finishes the 6P, Z2 and D2.
oldgrandpajack

[Edited by Size15s so that your question is outside the quote]

Size15's

Flashaholic
oldgrandpajack's suggestion for making the adapter hold an additional 123A could make it easier since I think there isn't much metal to play with if you're threading both sides of a thin metal ring.

Al

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Yes,

This is certainly doable. I had mentioned in another thread that I had designed a similar cell extender/ adapter to step up from the E series to the Classic. This would be the same from Clasic to M3/M6.

- Don

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to see a E1, the new E2C/battery extender, plus a C2M(?)/battery extender, all topped off with a KL6. An E1e, with the clip way at the back end of all of that mess, would look even more unusual.

Or, how about an E2M adapter, with KL6 on an E1 run off of a single cell? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
e1e-kl6.jpg

sigp6

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Damn, that's funny!

Tom

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeez! Now that would be a helluva light for EDC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Looks sorta like a juggling club or one of those WWII handle grenades.

Wilkey

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Point of clarification:

I think such an adapter is doable but I'm not offering to do it myself.

As Tyler has pointed out, with the bezel up pocket clips, these extensions result in very top heavy lights for carry via the clip.

- Don

EDIT: Upon further thought on this, I don't think such an adapter/ cell extender would be so easy to make. If you lay out the pieces and consider the requirements of the bore of the adapter as it mates to the C2 body for instance, the battery would rattle around like crazy without some type of additional centering sleeve.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I remember an E2M adapter idea being talked about awhile ago. I think it was dropped for the exact reason shown by Brad-alike's picture! I think the KL5 on an E2C with UBH II would look funny enough...