Pila IBC mod question

Rees

Enlightened
I was wondering if there was a way to add a voltage display for each bay, or if it would even be worth it?

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Probably unless it goes near 10mA at any time, then the display would suck more juice than it would put into the battery. I did this for the Nano:

d83a5866-1d48-43a3.jpg

Rees

Enlightened
I saw your post with that display on it and didnt know if adding one to each back for the IBC would be worth doing or just stick to a DMM?

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Well the display has a cool/neat factor. For $2 each and some soldering it's ok.

Rees

Enlightened
Could addding this to the charger replace checking voltage after charging?

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
That's a tricky question. The problem is the display draws about 10mA I believe. Maybe less. Depending on the charger, it may push past this and actually stop charging at 4.2v. The problem kicks in as the display drains power meaning it may never really stay near 4.2v. Depending on the charger again, it may kick back in to "top off" the battery back to 4.2v after a certain threshold dropped or it may not. I'm not sure how the Pila IBC works so I can't comment.

Rees

Enlightened
How about using a 3 wire external powered voltage display? It would just pull a reading and a 9V could power it for quite awhile i would imagine. Im just wondering if it would be practical or am I wasting my time and just my DMM to check after it comes off the charger?

Norm

Retired Administrator
Or if you want to observe Volts while charging, wire some connection points (banana sockets etc.) and use you DMM to check, that way you won't be loading your charger by drawing current to run an external display.

Norm

Rees

Enlightened
Well good news so far. just got charger and batteries in and charged up my aw2200 for my single cell lights to chew on and cell came in with 3.96 and got 4.20 fresh off the charger :thumbsup:.

Rees

Enlightened
Well, I figured I would try for the sake of trying. I ordered 2 voltage displays with 3 wire for external power setup and a 9v battery box with on/off switch to not waste power. Ill try to keep ya posted, just hoping the displays are accurate.

aimxplode

Enlightened
Well, I figured I would try for the sake of trying. I ordered 2 voltage displays with 3 wire for external power setup and a 9v battery box with on/off switch to not waste power. Ill try to keep ya posted, just hoping the displays are accurate.

Did you get them from cottonpickers in the marketplace?

Rees

Enlightened
Ok so ive got my voltage displays now. I did a search and did not find anything on how to disassemble a pila IBC. So i took upon my self, it has four screws under the little foam feet and the top left one on mine was stripped or some sort of security screw with a smooth concave head like some one stripped out a phillips screw head. I drilled that out and got it apart.

Inside the Pila IBC
content__media_external_images_media_1240.jpg

content__media_external_images_media_1239.jpg

content__media_external_images_media_1238.jpg

Im not super electrical saavy, but im willing to try. I tested the voltage at the plug and it has 6v which was enought in a inital test to power the two displays. Only thing im not sure of is would drawing power before it gets kicked down would affect the charger at all?

Heres the display
content__media_external_images_media_1241.jpg

content__media_external_images_media_1242.jpg

Last edited:

Rees

Enlightened
The displays were kinda bigger that i thought.

dry fitting
content__media_external_images_media_1245.jpg