Surefire display cabinet in the making

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I managed to find myself a small Surefire display case but as far as a big one goes that's out of the question. It would cost a fortune to get one all the way down here to Australia.

So I am making my own. I started with a second hand display cabinet in very good condition that I picked up for $150.00

displaycase.jpg

First step was replacing the old down lights with some cool new LED down lights. Than I had some brushed alloy "Aluminium" laser cut with the Surefire logo's for the top and one big SF for the base.

I also had some dark red Acrylic cut to size for behind the Alloy for that red surefire look.

I still have not worked out what to do with the white panels around the base "doors and sides" to replace them the whole cabinet needs to come apart. But I think I will do them as well in time.

I am also thinking of having a brushed alloy pieces cut out for the back of the cabinet so you cannot see the wall behind it.

Then I need to work out how to make the racks for the lights. The original Surefire cabinet do not really hold many lights. So I am thinking of doing something different. Like a full acrylic rack from top to bottom taking up the whole width and raking back so it is at the front on the bottom and at the back at the top.

If anybody has any idea's here I would love to hear them. The objective is to have as many lights as I can but still keep that display look.

The four laser cut panels.
SurefireLasercutouts.jpg

More pic's soon.

thanks for looking

strinq

Enlightened
What about those lighted glass panels?
Something in the vein of this:

cgm060208_img01.jpg

I think that would be uber cool especially for a display case that displays well...lights... :)

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about those lighted glass panels?
Something in the vein of this:
I think that would be uber cool especially for a display case that displays well...lights... :)

Hi thanks for the idea. I like the LED's in the Acrylic. I am trying to come up with some type of rack like in the original surefire case but not just a middle post like in the surefire cabinet the whole cabinet being one big rack.
I am just not sure if I should do a rack for each shelf or take out the shelvs and have one big rack. The advantage in having one rack on each shelf I could keep the rack up against the back and still have more room to laying down lights in front of the rack on each shelf.
In typing out this post I think I just found my answer 4-5 racks one at the back of each shelf.

The rack I am thinking of is like the one in Team members post of his cabinet but just wider so it can hold 2-3 lights side by side. "Team members photo below"
If anybody can help me out with what surefire use as the thickness of their acrylic and the gap between the two post that would be great.

Teanmembercrop.jpg

Now that the panels have been fitted it's looking good but I will need to replace the white at the base with brushed aluminium.
I will take some more photos of the cabinet and post them soon

cheers

Last edited:

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, great job with the panels!

Thanks they did turn out good.
Here are two more pics I just took of the complete cabinet so far. Still need to have a brushed aluminium panel made for the back and change the white doors & panels at the base. Than the hardest part the rack system. I am still at a loss with that but will think of something.

Sorry about the colour of the walls in this room it over powers the colour of the aluminium in the photos.

Do you like the only spot in the house the wife would agree where to put it behind a room door. I was pushing for the living room she was pushing for the garage so this was a compromise.

surefirelogofull.jpg

surefirebase2.jpg

will update when I get the next step done.

cheers

duro

Enlightened
why not just a nifty display case? It is nice, but if it's not a surefire, why make it one?

LE6920

Newly Enlightened
why not just a nifty display case? It is nice, but if it's not a surefire, why make it one?

Because he is going to fill it with Surefires! And because he can :thumbsup:

That thing looks awesome!

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude,

outstanding work... worth every second of time invested in it (not to mention money)... keep us posted, please...