Source for small robust split rings, and a nice short chain?

mcdj

Newly Enlightened
Wondering where I could find some nice sturdy split rings, possibly Ti. I've seen ones used for fishing tackle...seems like that would do the trick, though I wonder if it the thickness would work with my tiny Victorinox knife).

Also looking for a short Ti or quality steel chain to attach to a McGizmo Sapphire. The ones that come on budget lights with gate clips look ok, but I'm pretty sure they're cheesy chrome plated.

Any ideas?

archimedes

Flashaholic
You've already heard about both of the first two places I thought of :)

Just thought I might add that most Ti split rings don't have the "spring" of steel, and may not be as secure (especially after several cycles of installation / removal) ....

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've already heard about both of the first two places I thought of :)

Just thought I might add that most Ti split rings don't have the "spring" of steel, and may not be as secure (especially after several cycles of installation / removal) ....
+1 my thoughts exactly. After getting some of the titanium split rings i prefer the stainless ones because of the spring effect.....Robert.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm fussy about split rings. My best source for tiny, strong, ss split rings has definitely been a local SALT WATER bait shop. They sell 16 of them in a tiny zip lock bag. Years ago I bought a bag each of two small sizes. They are by far the cheapest, most uniform solution to my ring problem. One or the other of those two sizes takes care of all of my small ring needs.

I just looked at them. The two sizes of rings I use on small things are #6 and #7.

County Comm has Ti split rings in a couple of bigger 'keying sizes'. The price isn't bad but they are kind of big.

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
An excellent source of split rings, including titanium, along with just about any other kind of related hardware you can think of is Berkley Point. The only caveat is that they have a 30 dollar minimum order. On the other hand, they have enough cool stuff on offer that any self respecting flashaholic probably wouldn't have too hard a time putting together an order.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the split rings at Bass Pro Shop with the Bass Pro label on them. You can get nice quality Swivels there too.

No idea on the chain.

BaldGuy45

Newly Enlightened
I was looking for a chain a few weeks ago and came up with a solution. Go to where pet supplies are sold and look at the "choke chains'. I found one for very small dogs ( though why you need a choke chain for a small dog escapes me) and it worked very well. These are welded link chains so you will have to cut the links to get a section the length you want. I took a cutting wheel on a Dremel and made several sections for different lights. Took longer to describe than actually do.

Chicago X

Enlightened
I have acquired a range of split-rings for saltwater use from Melton's, in tests ranging from 8# to 250#

Look under "butterfly jig accessories" for both split-rings and solid rings. I use a solid ring to tie off to the lanyard, then attach the split ring for all removable connections.

They also carry low-profile swivels rated up to 400# !

DM51

Flashaholic
This is an interesting thread, but it belongs in Personal Gadgety, not General Flashlights. I'm moving it now.

Also worth looking up Nitinol split rings - it's an alloy of Nickel and Titanium that is very springy indeed, and always returns to its original shape, however seriously it is deformed. Some spectacle frames are made of it, and you can sit on them etc without damaging them - they spring right back.

Google Nitinol split rings, and you'll find eBay sellers and others. Not cheap, but good if you need that type of flexibility. Not as strong as SS though. Pure Ti is nice, but as stated above, if you bend it even a little, it won't spring back.