6D ROP = Bulb Flash

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the ROP topic has been discussed lots and I did try to search for my specific problem.

I did the ROP build with:

- 6D Mag host
- Pelican 3854H
- FM bi-focal reflector
- Borofloat lens
- 6 Tenergy 10000mah D Cells

I charged up the cells, loaded up the batteries fresh off the charger, and turned it on. I was pretty amazed at how bright it was, but the bulb burnt out in less than 1 minute of use.:(

Did I make the mistake of not letting the cells "level off" its voltage before putting them into the light?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, exactly. The extra .1 volt each allowed too much current, and because bid Nimh d cells have such high capacity, they readily provided it. Happens to many while experimenting.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I charged up the cells, loaded up the batteries fresh off the charger, and turned it on. I was pretty amazed at how bright it was, but the bulb burnt out in less than 1 minute of use.:(
That's normal.

Pelican 3854 HO works hard on 6 cells and works too hard on hot off the charger D cells.

Let the cells settle down and try again.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to know I made a newbie mistake. Thanks everyone!

What's a good amount of time to leave the cells sit after charging before using them?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Another option is changing over to the 3853H. The extra volt of headroom will keep the blowouts in check.