Blacklight for a rockhound

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife has recently got into a rock hobby. From searching on her own, to the kinda pay as you go mine where you mine gemstones etc yourself. Some of these look like regular rocks apparently till hit with a blacklight. I see solarforce has one, nailbender has one and I've seen some dedicated lights. Already have the host for a p60, so figured that would be best. Question is, is the SF version enough with the higher nm number, or do we need NB's lower nm rating?

She's just getting started so if the cheaper version will get the job done, then im all for that till she decides to get more into it.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually you might try a halloween store for a little battery-powered fluorescent blacklight. Wal-Mart had some out for $5 each, and I'm kicking myself for not getting any. Fluorescence is wavelength-dependent - ask your wife or google which wavelengths you're looking for responses to.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you want one that runs on 2x CR123As, check out the Inove X5 UV: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045JLAEC/?tag=cpf0b6-20

it's solid (insofar as build quality) and is decently good output.

FYI, though, the 123s go in "in reverse" compare to how you put them in a Surefire or any other light afaik. the positive end/button end, go towards the back of the light (towards the switch)

the switch is also nice in that it's like the Surefire ones, screw all the way down for constant, partially down for momentary on. :)

Latest posts