Recommend me a single 18650 thrower that fits comfortably in pocket, ~$100 USD

igabo

Enlightened
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a good single 18650 that with excellent throw, but without a terribly large reflector that would make it uncomfortable to carry in the pocket of my jeans. My priorities are:

1.Compact
2.Reliable
3.Throw

I had a fenix TK15, which I found to be of appropriate size, but it had problems when running on 18650 cells. Light output was severely diminished on fresh 18650's when compared to running on CR123 primaries. I have since returned the light and am looking for a replacement. Perhaps I should just purchase another one? I found the TK15 to have an appropriate amount of throw, but compared with other lights, the output felt a bit low, especially when on 18650's.

Thanks!

Vesper

Enlightened
ShiningBeam has the "Romisen RC-T601 II XM-L T6 2-Mode LED Flashlight 700+ Lumens". I don't have one but reviews on it are good.

igabo

Enlightened
I actually have the Romisen RC-T601 II from shiningbeam; the throw and light output are amazing, especially for the price, but unfortunately the head on it is just way too massive to fit in my pocket. I think the same goes for the sunwayman t20cs unfortunately. Thanks for your input guys!

aimxplode

Enlightened
I don't have one, but check out the S-mini from shiningbeam. It's very small, and everyone seems to like it.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
with that budget:
* bored 6P host from oveready,
(w. full McKlicky + bezel ring mod)
* P60 XM-L high power three stage insert from CPF Member Nailbender

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Maybe if you tell us what size head, body and length is acceptable we can give better advice. What is a "a terribly large reflector that would make it uncomfortable to carry in the pocket of my jeans" to one person may be a nice compact EDC to someone else (Really ! you should see what some people on here carry around).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
He typed he had a TK15 - imho a bulky, sharp edges, useless an unnecessary features bearing "tactical" light which, together with all his brothers and sisters, let me step away from Fenix' actual makes immediatley (like most of the early adopters of the uselful, small, elegant ECD shaped models they started a revolution with.
:(

So, if that urgly, sharp thing is good for Igabo's pockets, than any P60 host will fit him
;)
a "standard 6P 18650" is the perfect match.

igabo

Enlightened
For me, the TK15 felt acceptable, although maybe it was a little bit large. I'm gonna look into that 6P, but in the mean time are there any other suggestions? I'd rather not have to piece together a light if at all possible. Also, I might weapon mount the light as well, so reliability is important for me.

Thanks.

After looking into the nailbender, 6P, it sounds appealing, could you tell me where I could get the tailcap? I'm having trouble finding it.

Last edited:

igabo

Enlightened
Maybe if you tell us what size head, body and length is acceptable we can give better advice. What is a "a terribly large reflector that would make it uncomfortable to carry in the pocket of my jeans" to one person may be a nice compact EDC to someone else (Really ! you should see what some people on here carry around).

Good point, I'd like to how people carry these crazy things. Maybe someday I will :nana: I looked into the Tk15, and I see that it has a 34mm diameter head, I think that I wouldn't want to go any larger than that on the head

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
lumapower incendio v3u with GT upgrade kit which includes a turbo head and 18650 body.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
as to the tailcap ...
You know the cost for the original SF Klicky tailcap?
then the cost of the McKlicky tailcap explains itself ...
;)

started here in custom and modified, but now have an own shop: www.oveready.com

the cheapest were:
P60 host --> Surefire P Series --> decide
and when ordering choosing the McKlicky upgrade

I would also recommend one of the bezel rings (smooth for me). Fights that thin lip that is bent just by looking at it.

igabo

Enlightened
as to the tailcap ...
You know the cost for the original SF Klicky tailcap?
then the cost of the McKlicky tailcap explains itself ...
;)

started here in custom and modified, but now have an own shop: www.oveready.com

the cheapest were:
P60 host --> Surefire P Series --> decide
and when ordering choosing the McKlicky upgrade

I would also recommend one of the bezel rings (smooth for me). Fights that thin lip that is bent just by looking at it.

After looking into it more, I'm thinking about using a solarforce body as a host. Do you have any opinion on this?

Thanks!

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Well, I have a Fenix PD31 and it really throws beautifully, plus it fits in pocket nicely. Alternatively, you could try the Fenix PD32, which is newer version of PD31. I outfitted my PD31 with a PD32 tailcap - I hate reverse clickies, which is stock on the PD31.

z17813

Newly Enlightened
After looking into it more, I'm thinking about using a solarforce body as a host. Do you have any opinion on this?

Thanks!

I have a number of the solarforce bodies and a number of the oveready modified surefire bodies. IMO the solarforces quality for price is quite high but for me tend to end up as car lights, or in emergency preparedness kits etc. The surefire bodies are pricey but just a step up in terms of quality, particularly the upgraded tailcaps.
For the money solarforce won't disappoint but if you carry it everyday I'd pay a bit extra and enjoy the quality.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
For the best throw in a small package, you'll probably want an XR-E R2 based light. They are hard to find these days unless you do go the P60 route or keep your eye on the marketplace. If you do go with a P60 host I think Solarforce is an excellent value. The L2T is very well made and accepts 18650's. The L2P is another good option. An XR-E R2 drop-in is your best bet for a tight throwy beam. There are a lot of recommendations for XM-L here, but that is going to be very floody unless you have a huge reflector to focus it, which you said you did not want.