7up XML Light

betti154

Enlightened
Hi,

If anyone's interested I slapped together a new light head using the 7up XML board + optics sold at:

http://www.led-tech.de/de/High-Powe...REE-XM-L-U2-on-round-PCB-LT-1802_120_117.html

I used 3 * RCD-24 1000ma drivers in parallel, powered by two 4S Turnigy Nano-tech 3300mah lipo blocks in series (total 29.6v). I had the batteries lying around from another solution, otherwise would have used something bigger. Burn time was 57min before the light began to flicker, which the RCD drivers tend to do when battery is flat.

Although a pain to get the voltage high enough, this head puts out a serious amount of light and seems to have a lot of punch. The optic in practice produces a ~25 degree beam underwater through a flat 5mm acrylic lens on the housing. My buddy was using an XML triple Cute3 at 2400ma on the same dive, which was largely overwhelmed by the 7up with a wider and very dense beam of light. The Cute3 spot was still a little brighter though when it hit the subject.

I had a gopro mounted on a helmet during the dive, so will upload the footage if anyone is intertested. Was a woeful dive though and wideo isn't any better, poor vis and cold!

No surprisingly this setup produces a lot of heat, though wasn't a problem underwater. I used thermal grease under the board, which is just held against the alloy heatsink/housing by the optic and front lens.
6784640012_7594fd5bc5.jpg

Watt meter reading, wattage jumped between 69.1-70.2w.
6930758019_60abf607b5.jpg

Codiak

Enlightened
Hi,

If anyone's interested I slapped together a new light head using the 7up XML board + optics sold at:

http://www.led-tech.de/de/High-Powe...REE-XM-L-U2-on-round-PCB-LT-1802_120_117.html

I used 3 * RCD-24 1000ma drivers in parallel, powered by two 4S Turnigy Nano-tech 3300mah lipo blocks in series (total 29.6v). I had the batteries lying around from another solution, otherwise would have used something bigger. Burn time was 57min before the light began to flicker, which the RCD drivers tend to do when battery is flat.

Although a pain to get the voltage high enough, this head puts out a serious amount of light and seems to have a lot of punch. The optic in practice produces a ~25 degree beam underwater through a flat 5mm acrylic lens on the housing. My buddy was using an XML triple Cute3 at 2400ma on the same dive, which was largely overwhelmed by the 7up with a wider and very dense beam of light. The Cute3 spot was still a little brighter though when it hit the subject.

I had a gopro mounted on a helmet during the dive, so will upload the footage if anyone is intertested. Was a woeful dive though and wideo isn't any better, poor vis and cold!

No surprisingly this setup produces a lot of heat, though wasn't a problem underwater. I used thermal grease under the board, which is just held against the alloy heatsink/housing by the optic and front lens.
6784640012_7594fd5bc5.jpg

Watt meter reading, wattage jumped between 69.1-70.2w.
6930758019_60abf607b5.jpg

Very nice

betti154

Enlightened
Damien, can you show us more on your goodman?

It's actually a Sartek handle that I pulled off another light. By default they come with a maglite clip which their heads snap into. My mag clip broke a while back so I "made it better" with a few more holes and cable ties. The handle is nice enough, quite adjustable to your hand with or without gloves, etc... Would be easy enough to DIY with a few holes adjustable holes instead of a mill I guess. Down sides are that the open bottom becomes a line trap when not on your hand (ie. it snags on cables, lines etc when clipped off) and its not the most robust thing in the world (e.g. I sat on it once and bent it way out of shape, but it bent back nice enough).

HID10 GOODMAN HANDLE_medium.JPG

betti154

Enlightened
Neat project :D

Yes, I would love to see the video footage ;)

Here you go, but brace your self for some seriously bad footage. I've got the gopro on my head using the 7up, the diver in the video has the tightest cute3 xml @ 2400ma as something to compare to.

PilleLED

Newly Enlightened
OHHHHH Betti , how you can do this to me , LOL just kidding , :thumbsup:

this is exact what i was thinking about to do , your one is great, guess i will overthink my idea again
and do
how about your canister, you open to charge, with the quiksnap
why is it just 57 min that is not sooooo much
shut be more ?????

any way its great done
goooooood job

best regards

Stefan

betti154

Enlightened
OHHHHH Betti , how you can do this to me , LOL just kidding , :thumbsup:

this is exact what i was thinking about to do , your one is great, guess i will overthink my idea again
and do
how about your canister, you open to charge, with the quiksnap
why is it just 57 min that is not sooooo much
shut be more ?????

any way its great done
goooooood job

best regards

Stefan

The only thing I bought for this solution was the drivers, LED and optic. Everything else I cobbled together from a bit and pieces in the spare parts draw. This included an older Dive Rite wreck canister which houses two 14.8v batteries, which I wired in series to get the volts up. The limited burn time is a symptom of this, though about an hour is more than ample for the wreck dives we do (most of the time is spent on deco in daylight). I'd never take this light in a cave as the beam is too wide (making it more difficult to signal) and you'd have a good chance of frying your buddies vison.

In many respects this light is like a 50w HID, only a fair bit wider so its function is limited. For any serious dives I'll be picking up my Cute3 2400ma XML solution, which has 5 hours burn and a much tighter beam. If the optic was much tighter I'd be tempted to build a proper battery pack but as it stands a bit of a toy for me.

2stardiver

Newly Enlightened
little bit next to 7up xml, I am building 5up xml but not sure which driver should I use..
I have allready battery pack 14,8 (nimh) and 13,2 (4s a123) and dont want to buy any new battery kits (lipo 20volts).
iam going to build it with taskleds hyperboost (1.8amps) for now, so is there any drivers which could boost voltage and give 3Amps ? okay 2,8 A is enough :naughty:

Last edited:

2stardiver

Newly Enlightened
Thanks !
I found from manual it could be drive with 3amps :wave:
"The output current can be increased to 3A without further notice. Use a 0.1 ohm / 1% / 0805 size
SMD resistor in parallel to the existing resistance which sits at the 200mA soldered bridge and solder
it on. Unsolder the coil, it is advantageous to work better. "

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pardon my ignorance, but seeing the title, I thought it's something like this .....

mi00086.jpg

:p

Very nice built btw, my diver friends would love to get their hands on this.