Need the best hand sized tactical light out there!

Bedforddawg

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

I'm in Law Enforcement and I need to get an upgrade to the current belt carried Surefire 6P. While I have had it for years, I need something similar in size (head can be bigger), and a lot more brightness, throw, spill, etc. Any suggestions? I have looked at several including Fenix TK15, Eagle Tac, 4Sevens, etc.
It can get a little overwhelming with all the data out there. Oh and one more thing it has to be under $90.
Thanks guys, and I'm glad to be on the forums!

ARA

Enlightened
One of the simplest and easiest was would be to upgrade to a Malkoff M60 or M61 drop-in. You retain the same flashlight you've used for years whilst getting far greater runtime, output and legendary reliability that comes with a quality American made product.

Edit: Welcome to CPF

afraidofdark

Enlightened
ARA speaks the truth: keep your 6P and install a Malkoff drop-in. The M61 is a nice balance of throw and flood, and the M60 has an optic for increased throw, still with decent side spill.

I would say (and so would most other folks on this board) that you can't get a better 2xCR123 host than a 6P. The Malkoff is just an amazing upgrade, you won't be disappointed. There's a full selection here.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'd second the Klarus XT11 - Really great handsized light, brighter than those drop ins, longer run times, etc...and under $90, well under with CPF discounts, etc.

Also gives 10 lumen low and 150 lumen medium, with 600 lumens max....its my EDC.

:D

Mag-man

Newly Enlightened
Sir, the best thing out of the box I've seen for Law Enforement is, in fact, the Klarus XT11. But it doesn't use your everyday batteries. It uses 2 x CR123A / 1 x 18650 / 2 x 16340. Google it, you won't be disappointed.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
imho You should stay with the 6P, as You are used to it, and it worked till now, so has proofen its quality and value.

there are 2 modificaions possible:
1st (easy): add a led insert ("P60 Led insert") that can run with the original battery setup
or
2nd: change to a single Li-ion cell and a led insert that runs from its lower input voltage.

Personally, I would opt for the 2nd version, as this means lower running cost, more power in the one cell (longer runtime, less "loose" parts when changing batteries, ...)
For start You use a "protected 17650 cell + one of the cheaper P60 inserts.
Makes from lumens factory, or similar, come to mind (they also have some that can run with the 6 V if stil using the 2*CR123 original batteries).

the mentionned malkoff is already higher/better quality but - my personal view - overrated and no match for the ones CPF member nailbender does.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...cool-white-XPG-S2-XML-U2-P60-modules-(part-9)
imho the three stage one (Cree XM-L led, low-med-high, remember last level) adds so much to the light, that it cant be beat

Finally, when You like the led and the Li-Ion rechargeable cell, the real mod would be to have the 6P run on an 18650 Li-Ion cell. That means boring it out to have enough diameter, or getting a "host" light that is big enough for the 18650.
(this cell has considerably more power than the 17650 ((or 2*CR123)), so this is the "king" in the moment)

Last edited:

shimano

Newly Enlightened
I'm also in law enforcement and I recently bought a Jetbeam BC25. I couldn't be any happier, it's perfect for patrol. It completely lights up the inside of a vehicle during traffic stops. I removed the clip and cigar ring on it, now it doesn't snag on anything. As you know in law enforcement we need to have the ability to get that light out of our light holder asap. Super bright for only $70

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Sir, the best thing out of the box I've seen for Law Enforement is, in fact, the Klarus XT11. But it doesn't use your everyday batteries. It uses 2 x CR123A / 1 x 18650 / 2 x 16340. Google it, you won't be disappointed.

Yeah, with one 18650 (No boring needed, etc..), its a photon torpedo factory right out of the box.

:D

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep the 6P and get a malkoff (or sell it and get a C2 w/ a malkoff), so you can easily pair it w/ your handgun). Stick with primaries in your main light. Don't wan't to go to draw your light and..."nothing".

Flashlight Enthusiast
klarus XT-11

feed it 2xCR123 batts, or feed it one 18650 rechargeable batt

small, wicked bright, instant strobe, nice low level, built well...

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eagletac T20c2 XML would be a great choice though after watching some YouTube videos, the Klarus has a better UI

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The Klarus UI is a real strong point....its my fav of the lights I have.....it just flat out works.

prop

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

I'm in Law Enforcement and I need to get an upgrade to the current belt carried Surefire 6P. While I have had it for years, I need something similar in size (head can be bigger), and a lot more brightness, throw, spill, etc. Any suggestions? I have looked at several including Fenix TK15, Eagle Tac, 4Sevens, etc.
It can get a little overwhelming with all the data out there. Oh and one more thing it has to be under $90.
Thanks guys, and I'm glad to be on the forums!

I'm also a LEO and after the nice crowd on CPF helped me out, I ended up getting a Surefire Z2 with a Malkoff M61 drop-in. I also carry a Surefire E1B as a backup light in my weak-side pant pocket.

The Z2 is carried in the SF speedholster. I'm very satisfied with my light-combo, only downside is the relatively short battery life, which is approximately 2 hours.

These guys know what they are talking about. :D

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
why bother modding when the op wants the brightest and flashlight with great runtimes for under $90. Unless the dropi is providing to be a better deal than other 'working
out of the box' flashlight, modding the surefire would seem pointless me. He can always use it as a backup...
sent from my mob. Excuse misspelling. thanks!

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
Another option so far not mentioned is 4Sevens Maelstrom G5(350 lumens) or X7(480 lumens) if you prefer a larger hot spot and a little less throw.

Just keep the head fully tightened for single mode operation.

Both lights accept primaries or Li-ion. But agree with others, stick with the primaries for duty use.

The G5 is on sale now at Going Gear.com for 76.95.

J.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am also an LEO. I am also a huge fan of the Klarus XT-11. It is very very bright, with no memory mode it comes on at high every time. The mode switch allows adjustment with a single hand. The medium light level provides more than enough light for searching handbags or backpacks as well as vehicle interiors. The medium or low can be used for writing citations or other paperwork. The strobe mode can be accesed single handed also. Pick up an AW 3100 mah battery and charger and you will be pretty pleased. Overall I am not aware of any other import light than can match it for ease of use and performance.

spc smith

Enlightened
Agreed with gilly.. two lights undisputed as duty lights: Olight M20X, Klarus XT10-11. only difference between these two lights as far as performance is the step down feature klarus XT11 inevitably succumbs to after 3 min on high. Im picky, and i dont want to have to turn off turn on my light to maintain max output of my light.. which is what the Olight M20X does do quite well @t 500 lumens. hich is why i got it. but to each to his own liking. this is fact though, the olight M20X doesn't step down.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Olight M-20X and M-21X. Solid and very bright...

I have the M21-X and it is not really a tactical light, It is a nice light but when you need to twist the head back and forth to get a specific mode I wouldn't consider that "tactical".

Of course tactical as a word is used to describe everything these days, even some underwear and socks LOL.