Acebeam

Thread: Need the best hand sized tactical light out there!

Unenlightened

Default Need the best hand sized tactical light out there!

Hi folks,

I'm in Law Enforcement and I need to get an upgrade to the current belt carried Surefire 6P. While I have had it for years, I need something similar in size (head can be bigger), and a lot more brightness, throw, spill, etc. Any suggestions? I have looked at several including Fenix TK15, Eagle Tac, 4Sevens, etc.
    It can get a little overwhelming with all the data out there. Oh and one more thing it has to be under $90.
    Thanks guys, and I'm glad to be on the forums!

Default Re: Need the best hand sized tactical light out there!

One of the simplest and easiest was would be to upgrade to a Malkoff M60 or M61 drop-in. You retain the same flashlight you've used for years whilst getting far greater runtime, output and legendary reliability that comes with a quality American made product.

Edit: Welcome to CPF

klarus xt11

ARA speaks the truth: keep your 6P and install a Malkoff drop-in. The M61 is a nice balance of throw and flood, and the M60 has an optic for increased throw, still with decent side spill.

I would say (and so would most other folks on this board) that you can't get a better 2xCR123 host than a 6P. The Malkoff is just an amazing upgrade, you won't be disappointed. There's a full selection here.
    Last edited by afraidofdark; 02-26-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    "That's why I come here, to be part of that and to learn, and because I can't afford a real midlife crisis, you know with sports cars and boats." -- peskyphotons 2007

*Flashaholic*

I'd second the Klarus XT11 - Really great handsized light, brighter than those drop ins, longer run times, etc...and under $90, well under with CPF discounts, etc.

Also gives 10 lumen low and 150 lumen medium, with 600 lumens max....its my EDC.

Sir, the best thing out of the box I've seen for Law Enforement is, in fact, the Klarus XT11. But it doesn't use your everyday batteries. It uses 2 x CR123A / 1 x 18650 / 2 x 16340. Google it, you won't be disappointed.

Flashaholic*

imho You should stay with the 6P, as You are used to it, and it worked till now, so has proofen its quality and value.

there are 2 modificaions possible:
    1st (easy): add a led insert ("P60 Led insert") that can run with the original battery setup
    or
    2nd: change to a single Li-ion cell and a led insert that runs from its lower input voltage.

Personally, I would opt for the 2nd version, as this means lower running cost, more power in the one cell (longer runtime, less "loose" parts when changing batteries, ...)
    For start You use a "protected 17650 cell + one of the cheaper P60 inserts.
    Makes from lumens factory, or similar, come to mind (they also have some that can run with the 6 V if stil using the 2*CR123 original batteries).

the mentionned malkoff is already higher/better quality but - my personal view - overrated and no match for the ones CPF member nailbender does.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...dules-(part-9)
    imho the three stage one (Cree XM-L led, low-med-high, remember last level) adds so much to the light, that it cant be beat

Finally, when You like the led and the Li-Ion rechargeable cell, the real mod would be to have the 6P run on an 18650 Li-Ion cell. That means boring it out to have enough diameter, or getting a "host" light that is big enough for the 18650.
    (this cell has considerably more power than the 17650 ((or 2*CR123)), so this is the "king" in the moment)
    Last edited by yellow; 02-26-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    when in doubt: buy both

Enlightened

I'm also in law enforcement and I recently bought a Jetbeam BC25. I couldn't be any happier, it's perfect for patrol. It completely lights up the inside of a vehicle during traffic stops. I removed the clip and cigar ring on it, now it doesn't snag on anything. As you know in law enforcement we need to have the ability to get that light out of our light holder asap. Super bright for only $70

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Mag-man View Post
    Sir, the best thing out of the box I've seen for Law Enforement is, in fact, the Klarus XT11. But it doesn't use your everyday batteries. It uses 2 x CR123A / 1 x 18650 / 2 x 16340. Google it, you won't be disappointed.
    Yeah, with one 18650 (No boring needed, etc..), its a photon torpedo factory right out of the box.

Keep the 6P and get a malkoff (or sell it and get a C2 w/ a malkoff), so you can easily pair it w/ your handgun). Stick with primaries in your main light. Don't wan't to go to draw your light and..."nothing".

Flashaholic*

klarus XT-11

feed it 2xCR123 batts, or feed it one 18650 rechargeable batt

small, wicked bright, instant strobe, nice low level, built well...
    posted by jh333233
    Dont cheat me, im expert in using crap light

The Eagletac T20c2 XML would be a great choice though after watching some YouTube videos, the Klarus has a better UI
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

*Flashaholic*

The Klarus UI is a real strong point....its my fav of the lights I have.....it just flat out works.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedforddawg View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm in Law Enforcement and I need to get an upgrade to the current belt carried Surefire 6P. While I have had it for years, I need something similar in size (head can be bigger), and a lot more brightness, throw, spill, etc. Any suggestions? I have looked at several including Fenix TK15, Eagle Tac, 4Sevens, etc.
    It can get a little overwhelming with all the data out there. Oh and one more thing it has to be under $90.
    Thanks guys, and I'm glad to be on the forums!
    I'm also a LEO and after the nice crowd on CPF helped me out, I ended up getting a Surefire Z2 with a Malkoff M61 drop-in. I also carry a Surefire E1B as a backup light in my weak-side pant pocket.

The Z2 is carried in the SF speedholster. I'm very satisfied with my light-combo, only downside is the relatively short battery life, which is approximately 2 hours.

These guys know what they are talking about.

Flashaholic

why bother modding when the op wants the brightest and flashlight with great runtimes for under $90. Unless the dropi is providing to be a better deal than other 'working
    out of the box' flashlight, modding the surefire would seem pointless me. He can always use it as a backup...
    sent from my mob. Excuse misspelling. thanks!

Another option so far not mentioned is 4Sevens Maelstrom G5(350 lumens) or X7(480 lumens) if you prefer a larger hot spot and a little less throw.

Just keep the head fully tightened for single mode operation.

Both lights accept primaries or Li-ion. But agree with others, stick with the primaries for duty use.

The G5 is on sale now at Going Gear.com for 76.95.

J.
    "DUDE!!!! You scorched my retina's!!!!!"

I am also an LEO. I am also a huge fan of the Klarus XT-11. It is very very bright, with no memory mode it comes on at high every time. The mode switch allows adjustment with a single hand. The medium light level provides more than enough light for searching handbags or backpacks as well as vehicle interiors. The medium or low can be used for writing citations or other paperwork. The strobe mode can be accesed single handed also. Pick up an AW 3100 mah battery and charger and you will be pretty pleased. Overall I am not aware of any other import light than can match it for ease of use and performance.
    In god we trust.........all others are suspects
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms
    Too many new lights to list

Check out the Olight M-20X and M-21X. Solid and very bright...

Flashaholic

Agreed with gilly.. two lights undisputed as duty lights: Olight M20X, Klarus XT10-11. only difference between these two lights as far as performance is the step down feature klarus XT11 inevitably succumbs to after 3 min on high. Im picky, and i dont want to have to turn off turn on my light to maintain max output of my light.. which is what the Olight M20X does do quite well @t 500 lumens. hich is why i got it. but to each to his own liking. this is fact though, the olight M20X doesn't step down.

Quote Originally Posted by gilly View Post
    Check out the Olight M-20X and M-21X. Solid and very bright...
    I have the M21-X and it is not really a tactical light, It is a nice light but when you need to twist the head back and forth to get a specific mode I wouldn't consider that "tactical".

Of course tactical as a word is used to describe everything these days, even some underwear and socks LOL.
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by madecov View Post
    I have the M21-X and it is not really a tactical light, It is a nice light but when you need to twist the head back and forth to get a specific mode I wouldn't consider that "tactical".

Of course tactical as a word is used to describe everything these days, even some underwear and socks LOL.

Nerf Tactical

Very good advice given by members above. Welcome to the forum. I would stick with your current Surefire 6P flashlight and do the Malkoff M61 upgrade. Keep all of your current holsters on your belt, and most of all, you are familiar with your equipment that you have. Same flashlight host, with an upgraded LED light inside. It is a tough combination to beat! With the importance of training, and being familiar with your duty equipment that comes as being 2nd nature, stick with what you got and upgrade the light with the Malkoff. It fits your bill, and is bulletproof. Stay safe.

As a LEO myself, I'm going to recommend a Malkoff drop-in for your 6p (or a Malkoff MD2 body, which has a low mode by slightly unscrewing the bezel). I wouldn't touch anything else than Surefire or Malkoff IMHO. Reliability is really important.

However, I'd get the M61W (or M61W first batch, more neutral, which I use) instead of the M61. I started with the M61, then switched to M61W because the colors were way too washed out. The warmer temperature is seriously needed when looking inside cars for drugs or weapons. It also makes a big difference when looking for a suspect hiding somewhere.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more infos.
    [New Malkoff MD2/M61W (neutral) H/L] - [Old Malkoff MD2/M61 219 H/L] - [Fenix TK11 R5] - [4Sevens Quark AA Tactical R5] - [Petzl Tikka Plus] - [Streamlight Propoly 4AA Luxeon]

Flashaholic

madecov,

your dead on point with the Olight M"21"X not being a tactical UI twisting the head to change modes, thus making it a two handed operation in the sense. I completely agree. However, its smaller brother, the Olight M20X-S (side switch), is not to be stamped with having the same UI. Not at all in fact. The UI is genius and fumble proof, as is the klarus XT11. Both superb lights. Both Quick tactical reactive lights as far as the UI goes.

Quote Originally Posted by spc smith View Post
    madecov,

your dead on point with the Olight M"21"X not being a tactical UI twisting the head to change modes, thus making it a two handed operation in the sense. I completely agree. However, its smaller brother, the Olight M20X-S (side switch), is not to be stamped with having the same UI. Not at all in fact. The UI is genius and fumble proof, as is the klarus XT11. Both superb lights. Both Quick tactical reactive lights as far as the UI goes.
    Just for grins, I'm probably going to order an M20X-S

Another recommendation for Malkoff M60 or M61. For LEO, reliability and predictability are paramount. 6P is built like a tank, and Malkoff drop-ins have a reputation as being rock solid, as well.

That is my Go-To Zombie Apocalypse Surefire. It's got a Cryos cooling bezel for improved heatsinking, an aggressive crenulated bezel with which I have subdued several individuals with, Triad tailcap with soft-press McClicky and stainless steel belt clip. Granted, it's not a 6P, but similar configuration can be applied to it since their parts are interchangeable.

Keep your 6P. Modify it, but don't replace it with something else.
    Last edited by enomosiki; 03-01-2012 at 10:31 PM.