SL TL-3 Xenon vs SF 9P

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have revered my old 9P, but time to test against a new one.

75 Yards against an out building; the SL TL-3 is brighter, whiter, and generally superior to my old partner. Both were tested with fresh bulbs, and new 123's.

The SL TL's momentary is smoother, the rectangular knurling is superior (SF doesn't have any). The SL clip is useful, and without burrs or sharp edges.

A few years apart. I would never part with this particular 9P, but time marches on.

In a tactical (gun/police) situation, it wouldn't make a cat's hair difference in outcome, but the new TL-3 is better.

Bulbs for the TL are MUCH less expensive, and the TL carries a spare in the light.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
The TL3 is a lot bigger than the 9P, right?

[/ QUOTE ] Without having actual specs in front of me, the TL-3's bezel is a bit larger but the body is shorter.

I just got a TL-3 again and like it alot. Does what it should and cost alot less. The pocket clip is nice.

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
My Streamlight TL-3 Xenon, is my favorite light. However, it is not my most used light. My most actually used light is a Brinkmann LED that came from Wal-Mart. On the weekend end of the 11th (Friday & Saturday nights) I had to work. I had anticipated using the TL-3 a lot. It turned out I used it very little, other than to show off to my co-workers. Every time I turned on the TL-3, I would think to myself this is far more light than is needed and I am draining 3 expensive lithium batteries. So I would turn it off and go back to my Streamlight Twin Task 3C or my Scorpion. I lost my Scorpion twice that night because of the holster I was using. I retraced my steps using the TL-3 and found it both times.

The TL-3 is still my favorite of all my lights. I like to just go get my TL-3 and look at it sometimes even when I don't need to use it.

James

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also own the SL TL-3 Xenon, very happy with it. I don't really have anything to compare it with but I do know it throws out a flood of very white light out to at least 50 yards. It doesn't have the throw of a UltraStinger but it wasn't designed for that, it is to be used as a tactical light.

richpalm

Banned
I compare the TL3 to the Z3-both about the same size. I think the TL3 reflector is quite literally the same one that's in the Stinger.

TL3 has wicked throw. Z3 (P90) has broader SF oval beam.

Depends what you want to do... I like the *quality* of the SF beam better and the combat grip. There are some prickliies around the hotspot in the TL but that's splitting hairs. I put a couple O-rings around the TL3 to use it in that hold also.

All in all, you can't beat it for the $$.

"....buy 'em both!!"

Rich

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm, here is a perfect example of the benefit of the specifications chart you put together.

By comparing these two lights primary dimensions, I see that, except for the bezel diameter, the SL TL-3 is actually smaller than the SF 9P. The SL bezel is 3/8" larger in diameter. Their weight is the same.

I've referred to your chart twice this morning, thanks again for providing it.

BC

Size15's

Flashaholic
3/8" is 9.5 mm wider in diameter?? That's sounds a big difference.
It would explain the tighter beam though right?

It would be really great to see some photos of the TL-3 next to the 9P and M3 please!

Al

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al, yes, the reflector is BIG, kinda like a Turbo head of sorts. I don't have any SF Turbo heads, maybe someone can compare sizes, etc.

By the way, the beam of the TL-3 was slightly larger than the 9P, but still substantially brighter.

Size15's

Flashaholic
James,
Doesn't it depend which SureFire - a lot if it's an M6. Not a lot if it's a G2 !!!

Is it possible to buy "just one Sure Fire" ?!
Once you get one it's the start of a relationship!!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some pictures I will add more when it gets dark.
D3%20vs%20TL3.jpg

D3%20vs%20TL3%20front.jpg

TL3%20vs%20D3%20P90%20Tight.jpg

TL3%20vs%20D3%20P90%20same.jpg

The TL3 is on the left.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the TL3 today the first beam shot is with the TL3 as tight as it will go and the second I tried to match the size. The hot spot is a bit brighter than that of the D3 with a P90 in it but if you look to the left and right you can see the wall is darker at the far left as there is not near the amount of spill light. I also ran a test of the color temp and the P90 was 3200K and the TL3 3100K to the eye at the hot spot the TL3 looks a bit whiter but it must be the brightness tricking the eyes. The D3 lights up the rest of the room a lot more than the TL3 it is hard to judge with the eye but there is no way the TL3 is putting out more lumens and if so certainly not 70 more! The walls of the TL3 are much thinner to the point that I can squeeze the tail cap and deform it a bit this also means the body is noticeable smaller in diameter and not as comfortable for my big hands, some might like this. The tail switch is nice but much softer than a Surefire as the spring is much softer there is no lock out function on it either. The clip is much weaker on the TL and feels like it will bend very easy like the ones on the old E2's. The light is very nice and worth the $60 but it is no SF M3 or any SF 3cell killer like some would have you believe.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a huge difference. The TL3 look like it's a little brighter, but has less spill.
Great pics.
Is that a P90 or P91?
SL claims 175 lumens, so I had to ask...
D3 vs. TL3 is something I've been thinking about, and the TL3 seems like it wins in almost every way except the size of that bezel, and the clip orientation. Not sure if I'd pocket carry either one, so maybe it's a moot point.

nevermind...see we crossposted

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can say this I would slam a door on my D3 and not worry a bit I will not do the same with the TL3 as I am positive it will bend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LightofMine said:
And how many Streamlight TL-3s can a person buy for what just one Sure Fire is going to cost?

Answer: About 3 or 4.

James

[/ QUOTE ]

A D3 or 9P are only $77 that is only $17 more than a TL3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
JT,

For posting those photos you are my Hero of the Day!
[I will have to remember to change you back to "Flashaholic *" before I got to sleep in a short while.]

I don't know, the tighter beam of the TL-3 could be worth the extra large bezel. Can you pocket carry it as easy as the D3 though?

The difference in body diameter isn't as significant unless being able to use 1" ring mounts is important (I don't suggest a SureFire flashlight is used as a WeaponLight although I know that many people do)

On a purely personal opinion, the TL-3 is an ugly looking flashlight.

Thanks again for the photos!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The outdoor photo's will have to wait my personal camera has no manual settings I will bring my work camera home tomorrow and do them.

Latest posts