Report on slight problem with my C Crane Quick Ch.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I busted the spring on one of the slots. I hadn't thought much of it before tonight. I just verified by hand that it still contacts a cell. Then I rigged it up so a rubber band will hold the negative contact tight. As I type it is bringing 4 Nimh AAs up to snuff.

Just something to think about. Treat it NICELY so you don't bust yours too!

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might wel be able to find a suitable replacement spring in a local hardware store.

Empath

Flashaholic
That is a weakness in the CCrane unit. Someone told how they reinforced theirs in one of the threads here, but I don't remember which one.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did the spring break, or was it the little plastic nub that attaches the spring?

All the plastic nubs broke from mine. I just drilled a few holes in the well in the back of the thing that's used for storing batteries. I looped some strong string (nylon thread) through the holes to attach the springs.

I think you will have to reattach all the springs eventually, at least if you charge the longer cells, like D cells. It's still my favorite charger.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
When it happened, I couldn't get in there to see exactly what happened. And since then I mostly charged 1AAA or 2AA at a time anyway. My rubber band mod seems to work okay, and #2 rubber bands are plentiful!

RussH

Enlightened
I broke one of the little plastic nubs. I simply replaced it with a small screw. I had to drill a hole where the nub was, but it only took a minute. To get into it, I believe I removed 2 screws (under the rubber feet?). Then there are two plastic catches under the other end from the screws. The top lifts up & off. I did this a while back & my memory is not all clear. I'll take another look if someone needs more help..........