Surefire Model 660

cvo

Newly Enlightened
I would like some more lumen's, it has a P60 lamp. What would a step up be using the two 123's?

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 660 is essentially a weapon mounted 6P, just broken down into different parts for modularity. Do some searches on Malkoff. If you have the Z32 (shock isolated bezel), consider upgrading the bezel as well, with a regular Z44, to better manage the heat of the malkoff. Hope this helps!

cvo

Newly Enlightened
The 660 is essentially a weapon mounted 6P, just broken down into different parts for modularity. Do some searches on Malkoff. If you have the Z32 (shock isolated bezel), consider upgrading the bezel as well, with a regular Z44, to better manage the heat of the malkoff. Hope this helps!

Its a P body, but the head is larger than my other 6P light.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a P body, but the head is larger than my other 6P light.

You have a Z32 bezel, which is essentially a 6P Bezel made a little bigger by adding a shock isolation system (to prevent the hot filament breaking under recoil). The Z32 will attach to any G/C/P/Z series SF, but since the inside of the bezel is lined with foam (which provides the shock isolation), it tends to trap heat, as opposed to metal lined bezel, which dissipates it away from the lamp. This is not an issue with Incans, but the trapped heat can ruin LED elctronics, or melt the glue on the inside, causing pre-mature failure.

Check out the links in my sig, for some pic's/diagrams of this.

LE6920

Newly Enlightened
A Surefire P60L LED module would work fine and the LEDs are rugged. As AOW mentioned a Malkoff drop is another option. The one piece Surefire KX4 heads will also work. Pretty much any bezel or head you are getting on a 6P you can use on the 660. I would go with an LED head if you are going to mount on a weapon, although the Z32 bezels do a great job with the incans.

cvo

Newly Enlightened
A Surefire P60L LED module would work fine and the LEDs are rugged. As AOW mentioned a Malkoff drop is another option. The one piece Surefire KX4 heads will also work. Pretty much any bezel or head you are getting on a 6P you can use on the 660. I would go with an LED head if you are going to mount on a weapon, although the Z32 bezels do a great job with the incans.

Its mounted on your screen name.

LE6920

Newly Enlightened
Then I would put a P60L in it if you have one available or a Malkoff drop in. The Malkoffs go on sale once in a while or watch the WTS board and get one cheap.

archimedes

Flashaholic
We're can you get a p60L and how big of a difference is this change

Rated at 80 lumens, and out-of-production, I believe.

They would be available through the usual means (Google, eBay, WTB/WTS threads, etc, etc), but more modern options are available ... as noted above.

Malkoff, in particular, are specifically designed for this purpose :)

archimedes

Flashaholic
With a malkoff will I have to change the bezel?

Yep, as AoW noted, that would indeed be preferred :thumbsup:

ARA

Enlightened
While i have no experience with the Surefire 660 i do have a Shotgun Fore end model 636. One thing that you do need to check is if the Malkoff dropin will fit the body as the model i have has a small plastic tab right below the dropin space which is there to prevent the batteries from ramming into the bulb. Also the tolerance for the dropin is extremely tight and the Malkoff dropin does not fit my particular shotgun fore end. Just thought i'd chime in, otherwise they are great.

The KX4 works great infact i totally prefer it over the P60L which failed to impress me in terms of output and a horrible purple tint.

dmitchell28

Newly Enlightened
I am sorry if I am wearing you guys out with crazy questions. Is it even possible to find a KX4 for a decent price?

dmitchell28

Newly Enlightened
I was hoping to stay in the $40-$50 range if possible. Is it possible to sell my current bezel and get money out of it?

dmitchell28

Newly Enlightened
I have a drop in on its way. Its a XP-G2 4000K. I was told I didnt even have to change the bezel just wrap the drop in in aluminum foil and everything should be great. I sure do hope so.