Who uses their RA/HDS Twisty still?

CLBME

Enlightened
The new rotary has taken the spotlight away from the venerable twisty. Who still carries one? I still do! I just liberated a dozen 18650's from a laptop that cooked it's hard drive so I'm using my battery compartment with it. Mine's been through a lot of work and use in construction. What a great light!

twisty18650tube001.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
Great thread! I have thought about starting the same thread since the Rotary came out! I hope others join in.

I love the UI of the Twisty, the mechanism and outputs are totally perfect. A genius design that I was sad to see go. I have two Twisties, the ones with the paracord on them in the pic. Silver for the 100, and red for the 85Tr. I am in the midst of a trade, a 123 body tube for a 18650 tube. When I get the long tube I am going to have it drilled and tapped and put a McGizmo clip on it to make it more pocketable. That is my one main complaint with the Twisty, no pocket clip. I love clips.

Here they are with my Clickies.

photo3om.jpg

Hoosier Light

Newly Enlightened
Yep. Can't beat the UI for simple, intuitive use. Don't know where to find it elsewhere in a high-quality really tough light except in the Muyshondt Aeon I recently bought.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use mine almost every night. It and a Lunasol20 are my usual non-pocket-rocket every night carry lights. Aeon is the EDC. I love this UI for non tactical lights.
I wish WISH WISH I could it have modded to a higher power for high, keeping everything else (including beam profile as much as possible) the same. I don't know anyone I trust enough to mod this light, as even with the best modders, I have at least the perception (false as it very well may be!!!) that I'd lose some of the engineered-in super-toughness. I know just putting in an XML will get me more lumes, but a tthe cost of beam profile. I'd like to bump current and perhaps have someone put in an XPG and (if necessary) mod the reflector to keep beam profile. If only Henry had 48 hours a day and started offering upgrades!!!

CLBME

Enlightened
Hi Nbp- I sold my 85Tr in favor for a 140's wider beam!:( I wish I hadn't. What a unique item they are and what a beam. Thanks for the reply.

Great thread! I have thought about starting the same thread since the Rotary came out! I hope others join in.

I love the UI of the Twisty, the mechanism and outputs are totally perfect. A genius design that I was sad to see go. I have two Twisties, the ones with the paracord on them in the pic. Silver for the 100, and red for the 85Tr. I am in the midst of a trade, a 123 body tube for a 18650 tube. When I get the long tube I am going to have it drilled and tapped and put a McGizmo clip on it to make it more pocketable. That is my one main complaint with the Twisty, no pocket clip. I love clips.

Here they are with my Clickies.

photo3om.jpg

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have one Twisty which is the Hi-cri model which is currently kept in my b.o.b. I usually put it into rotation for a month or 2 when it's summer time. I hope the light is still working when I get it out in a few months.:sssh:

;)

Also, Nick I have to agree with you regarding the light needing a clip. I love the little sucker but that is the only reason why I go back to the clicky (+ ease of changing levels) after a few months of using it. Funny how I say that and I have been EDC a Muyshondt Nautilus this winter :D.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
^^^ This cat is the one who sold me my first Twisty. :) Thanks bro!

The Nautilus is pretty small, probably small enough for pocket bottom dwelling. The Twisty is too large for that. A clip is important. I used to have a Moddoo clip on one under the bezel but then I put that on a Clicky. When I get the long tube set up with the McGizmo clip I will post pics. I think it'll look really good and hold nice and tight.

bansuri

Enlightened
I've fallen back in love with the Twisty. Had an 18650 that just seemed too big down at the bottom of my pocket and found a generous CPFer to swap for a CR123 tube. It hasn't left my side since I got it.
Modded with a K2 and it reminds me of the moon; nice white spot with some cool spill. Got a Ti bezel from Russtang and was going to etch whatever the moon's proper astronomical name on it, turns out our moon is named The Moon, so maybe not.
Anyway, the Twisty was the first light I saw that was at the $100 point, I used to think "there's no way I'd ever spend than much on a light!". LOL, as they say.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
My 85Tr #0888 is awesome. Use it at least three nights a week. I have a F04 beam shaper on there, it can't be beat for night stand duty. Nice soft res low that doesnt disturb a potential grumpy sleeping wife. If the dogs need to go out, the beam shaper comes off and she throws like no other 85 lumen light! :)

And if I feel like being fancy, I go get my uber über über rare (1 of 5) Ti Tr85. :naughty:

archimedes

Flashaholic
....Got a Ti bezel from Russtang and was going to etch whatever the moon's proper astronomical name on it, turns out our moon is named The Moon, so maybe not....

(off-topic) :laughing: I always thought that "Mare Imbrium" sounded pretty cool, though - maybe you could use that instead? It's that huge crater you can see on the moon.

(on-topic) I am looking forward to a CR2-powered, half-titanium, clip-equipped, 85-Tr Twisty ... on the way from the MP (!)

Even the description of it sounds like some kind of cyborg :D

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I've fallen back in love with the Twisty. Had an 18650 that just seemed too big down at the bottom of my pocket and found a generous CPFer to swap for a CR123 tube. It hasn't left my side since I got it.
Modded with a K2 and it reminds me of the moon; nice white spot with some cool spill. Got a Ti bezel from Russtang and was going to etch whatever the moon's proper astronomical name on it, turns out our moon is named The Moon, so maybe not.
Anyway, the Twisty was the first light I saw that was at the $100 point, I used to think "there's no way I'd ever spend than much on a light!". LOL, as they say.

Glad you're digging it brother. Bansuri is tops guys. :thumbsup:

My 85Tr #0888 is awesome. Use it at least three nights a week. I have a F04 beam shaper on there, it can't be beat for night stand duty. Nice soft res low that doesnt disturb a potential grumpy sleeping wife. If the dogs need to go out, the beam shaper comes off and she throws like no other 85 lumen light! :)

And if I feel like being fancy, I go get my uber über über rare (1 of 5) Ti Tr85. :naughty:

One of the coolest lights ever made, IMO. An absolute grail light. Maybe you could post some pics??? :drool:

(off-topic) :laughing: I always thought that "Mare Imbrium" sounded pretty cool, though - maybe you could use that instead? It's that huge crater you can see on the moon.

(on-topic) I am looking forward to a CR2-powered, half-titanium, clip-equipped, 85-Tr Twisty ... on the way from the MP (!)

Even the description of it sounds like some kind of cyborg :D

Hi Don. Sorry I never got back to you via PM. :oops: It worked out though, as you can see above. ;)

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Members often state that the 85Tr series lights out-threw all the others... Has anyone put theirs up to a lux meter to verify? I'd be very interested in seeing if the 85Tr posts significantly higher lux-readings than the other Osram GD based lights.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hardly ever leaves my side. When it does, it's only for want of a belt, and a holster... or a clip.

Wish I had, at the time, bought a spare 123 tail and had a McGizmo clip attached. Wish I had also gone ahead and had Milkyspit build me a big blaster of a P7 Roomsweeper build, too.

Alas.

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
:huh:beautiful light,man!!!!!

what a little piece of technological art!!!

nbp

Flashaholic
PSM: That Ti Twisty is amazing, I love those things. :wow:

BTW, who ever said Henry and Don wouldn't collaborate? I just made my long tubed Twisty a million percent more useful. :rock: This is how Twisties should have been all along.

img0465ez.jpg

img0462xg.jpg

img0463ud.jpg