Fenix LD12 - My 2 Lumens...

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
hidcanada20120227151502.jpg

hidcanada20120227141444.jpg

hidcanada20120227151521.jpg

4ac60989-1efb-f8da.jpg
4ac60989-24ee-a5fe.jpg

Hi, and welcome to this edition of... My 2 Lumens. There will be plenty of more detailed and technically qualified reviews out there so this is only intended to be a super quick overview to temper my giddyness with a new light purchase :) Just remember these are my opinions and are subjective. The idea is to cut through the glossy photos and brochures to give you a simple laymans overview -- perhaps draw out some discussion.

If you want more technical details like "is it PWM, how many amps does it draw... etc" please see Selfbuilt or other long standing member reviews (coming). Sometimes I'll put the mA draw information on different modes if I want to know (or are asked).

Model: Fenix LD12
Battery: Imedion 2400mAH
Rated Lumens: 115 (3hr), 60 (5hr), 27 (11h), 3 (97hr)
SOS / Strobe: Yes
Multi Mode: Yes
Reflector: Smooth
Beam: Nice smooth spot with ample spill, but definitely tailored to throw. Profile appears same as LD10.
Finish: Smooth black HA III aluminum

Notable Features:
- mode switch (no more head twisting)
- tail switch guards are now rounded
- nice braided lanyard with button end (if it's called that)
- very nice white color (now my LD10 appears VERY green in comparison!)
- slightly longer than LD10 (3mm?)
- added "channel" design on both sides like the PD32

Quirks:
- does not tail stand because both the switch guard AND the clicky is rounded (which protrudes past the guard!)

I Like it Because: The color as compared to the LD10 I have is excellent. Strobe takes effort to activate (hold down).
I Dislike it Because: The LD10 could kind of wobbly tail stand. The LD12 just can't. Leaning against something doesn't count.

Other Technical Reviews: None yet. Let me know and I'll add it here.

--------------------------------------------

Notable Differences Marked:

LD12 - LD10
115lm - 110lm
97hr - 70hr
80m - 87m
1612cd peak - 1902cd peak
1m impact - 1.5 impact

Current Draw:

Meter: Sigmatron SDM-58A
Battery: Imedion 2400mAH

Low: 42 ma
Med: 220 ma
High: 530 ma
Turbo: 1310 ma

Last edited:

Harry999

Enlightened
Ualnosaj,

That was a great little mini-review. Thank you for doing this. You have confirmed my plan to get a couple of LD12s so can belt carry them as edcs on my work and home set ups.

I noticed the tint on yours was really nice as well. Looks like Fenix may be upping their game. I will be interested in seeing what their next releases like the LD41, Ld50 and LD30 are like.

Will you do a similar review for the LD22 when you get it, please?

Regards

Harry

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Ualnosaj,

That was a great little mini-review. Thank you for doing this. You have confirmed my plan to get a couple of LD12s so can belt carry them as edcs on my work and home set ups.

I noticed the tint on yours was really nice as well. Looks like Fenix may be upping their game. I will be interested in seeing what their next releases like the LD41, Ld50 and LD30 are like.

Will you do a similar review for the LD22 when you get it, please?

Regards

Harry

The tint is certainly very nice... not overly "purple" and certainly not green. My only qualm is the lack of tail stand. Between this and the E15, the only Fenix single/double AA that can tail stand is the MC series right now.

The LD22 is currently delayed but I certainly will put my 2 lumens worth in :)

Harry999

Enlightened
My only qualm is the lack of tail stand. Between this and the E15, the only Fenix single/double AA that can tail stand is the MC series right now.

The LD22 is currently delayed but I certainly will put my 2 lumens worth in :)

I carry the MC11 in my bag hence why it is not too vital if the LD12 can tail stand. It would have been nice though.

I have been told the LD22 should be here this week in the UK. I hope that happens.

pinetree89

Enlightened
Nice review, thank you! My LD12 is in shipment right now. I'm even more excited once reading this. I'm crossing my fingers for the tint lottery.

erpan

Newly Enlightened
Hello

Can you still hold it as tactical flashlight or do you need to hold it in waistlevel due to the new design? I understand the only way to change the level is the new button on the head, right? So can you turn it on and off using the backbutton or is it only for momentary on off?

Last edited:

Harry999

Enlightened
As far as I know I think the tail cap is to switch it off and on as well as momentary activation. The side button only controls mode, beacon & strobe.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
As far as I know I think the tail cap is to switch it off and on as well as momentary activation. The side button only controls mode, beacon & strobe.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk

That's right. Tail is on/off and momentary. Modes through side switch only.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Hey guys, I'm going to give this light away. Can someone direct me where to post this feller?

low

Enlightened
If you are giving it away, I will be happy to take it. I have been lusting after one.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
If you are giving it away, I will be happy to take it. I have been lusting after one.

Hahaha I have to give some folks a fair chance. I started a thread but it was smashed to bits. There must be some protocol on that but I can't find it :(

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the mini-review, that's great!

I noticed in the notable differences you listed that the LD12 has actually a lower number of CDs:

LD12 - LD10
1612cd peak - 1902cd peak

Being a flasholic but still quite ignorant on the subject I was wondering if that translates in a lower throw? Would the difference be noticeable?

Thanks,

L

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I have done a bit more research and answered myself: cds (or candelas) measure the intensity of the flashlight's beam at its brightest point. I guess I'll have to wait somebody to post comparisons of beamshots to see how the LD10 LD12 candelas' difference translates into realiaty!

pinetree89

Enlightened
Has anybody tried putting a LD12 tailcap on a LD10?

Tried the LD12 tailcap on my LD20 and it would not work. While the threads are the same, the LD20 body was not able to be screwed in enough for the body to contact the tailswitch board. The LD10 may be different, but I doubt it.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! :)

I agree! The tailcaps from the LD10 and LD20 look identical and even if they aren't they are interchangeable: if the tailcap of the LD12 did not work on the LD20, it won't work on the LD10 either.
Stangely enough the tailcap of the PD32 works fine on the PD31.