Anyone else dislike brass threads?

mcdj

Newly Enlightened
Whenever I see a twisty (or click/twist) that shows brass threads, I'm immediately turned off. Maybe it's because I've been a photographer for the majority of my life, and I equate brass threads with a broken lens. I also hate yellow gold jewelery and watches, and bags/belts/shoes with gold or brass hardware.

Anyone else go out their way to buy only lights that don't have brass threading?

Yes, I am nuts.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the other hand, I tend to equate brass threads with lights that have a brass pill, which means excellent heat sinking for the LED. They can be trickier to keep from cross threading, but generally worth the effort.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
Or that so called "brass" could actually be an electroplated finish applied to the metal for various reasons?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I got a Thrunite Ti, I liked this feature. The threads are also some of the smoothest I've come across.

Eciton

Newly Enlightened
As someone who has just got his first titanium light, with all the grittiness and galling that entails, I can tell you that I miss brass threads!

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the other hand, I tend to equate brass threads with lights that have a brass pill, which means excellent heat sinking for the LED. They can be trickier to keep from cross threading, but generally worth the effort.

Brass actually has poor heat sinking compared to copper or aluminium.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Brass actually has poor heat sinking compared to copper or aluminium.
Not exactly correct; brass has relatively poor thermal conductivity but actually has good heat sinking due to the relatively high heat capacity of brass - it has only modest specific heat capacity (i.e. per unit weight) but combine that with its relatively high density and a fixed-volume component made of brass actually ends up being a pretty good heat sink.

Thermal Specific _Den _"Thermal
conduct HeatCap _sity _volume"
(W / mK) (J / gK) (g/cc)_ (J/ccK)
Aluminum 250 __0.85 ___2.7__ 2.3
Brass..... 110 __0.38 ___8.6 __3.2
Copper... 400 __0.39__ 10.5__ 4.0
Silver..... 430 __0.23 ___9.0 __2.1
("thermal volume" would be the heat that a fixed-size part such as a volume-restricted heatsink will absorb, per degree rise in temperature)

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a brass Vesuvius and with a touch of lubrication the head turns smoothly and evenly. Titanium threads tend to be rough. I like brass. Aluminum has the advantage of being lighter in the pocket.