Colored Key Blanks

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

Really, really random question here but I have no where else to really ask and Google isn't being friendly for me at the moment...is anyone aware of where I can get colored key blanks?

But not your typical anodized job. I'm after a matte black blank (or matte white), and one that even after the key is cut (or whatever the technical term is) it remains black even on the cut edges.

It's just for kicks, no serious application. I want to get my house keys cut.

Any suggestions or is this a bit of a lost cause?

Cheers,

- Matt

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
While I have limited knowledge of metallurgy, I would say that finding a metal that would accept a colored pigment without bad side effects would most probably put the cost through the stratosphere.

TL; DR - Your SOL basically

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I figured as much. The orange anodizing on my current house keys (obviously done post cut) seems to be holding up well. Might have to look into doing that.

gollum

Enlightened
the ally anodized keys have to be cut after ano
if you really want all over ano,you could diy or send to an anodizer

I think you would have more fun gold plating or cerakoting ?

let us know if you get around to it

Kestrel

Flashaholic
How about starting with brass blanks -> cut keys, then using some sort of chemical method like these? Reading some reviews online, it sounds like the 'catch' is that the black oxide finish isn't very durable via rubbing.

However I have some old brass cartridge cases that have turned black due to age & environmental exposure and the oxidized finish is absolutely permanent, so I know it's possible. :shrug:

Edit: Also, if 'cold blueing' works (by a gunsmith), finding one that does 'hot blueing' would be the ticket IMO.

Last edited:

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Kestrel. I might look into some of those options, but given this is a simple exercise in making my keychain look better (how sad) I'm in no rush nor ready to break the bank lol.

Stupid materialism.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hot blueing is done with batches of parts; IMO a gunsmith adding a few cut keys to the mix shouldn't charge more than 4-5 bucks each if he doesn't mind fiddling with them.

Anyhow, good luck,

Last edited:

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
No worries - I'll probably try and track down a gunsmith, though they are a little less common here in Australia...

Newly Enlightened
I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if you had any luck with the black keys??

It's interesting because I happened to be searching the internet for the exact same thing as Mattaus, black keys, and for the same dumb reason, I want my keys to be black.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never had any luck but then again I stopped looking as I had more pressing issues to sort out lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Kestrel

Flashaholic
No worries - I'll probably try and track down a gunsmith, though they are a little less common here in Australia...
I'm probably going by my local gunsmith tomorrow - if I remember I'll ask him if brass turns black from a hot blueing operation. :shrug:

Last edited: