The best flashlight ever?

sojah

Newly Enlightened
Not quite sure about the claim, but I like the sustainability of it as long as he's using steel parts that would otherwise be thrown away.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
If i dropped this, i would never find this thing in the woods.

Edit: Is it just me, or is the switch off center?

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
2hf2eex.jpg

To turn it on, you either twist the back, like that, to stay on, or push the button (for momentary).

:eek:

I've reported this blatant case of infringement to SureFIre's Legal Dept.

salimoneus

Newly Enlightened
This affirms my assertion that most people who post video blogs on the internet are stupid attention whores. If it's serious, it's stupid, and if it's supposed to be amusing, it's still stupid.

esrevenge

Newly Enlightened
Did I read correctly it takes AAAA batteries? Why not use more common AAA?

I think it would be nicer if the light attached to the round thing making a candle mode, now it attaches LED end down LOL.

Ive seen hobbyists on this and other forums make great lights out of copper tube and things like that, which look a bit nicer than this wooden light.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best flashlight ever! It makes my collection look like..... Surefires! lol

Lukelampco

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody - let me begin by saying I honestly had no idea what I was getting myself into with this little flashlight design of mine.

To answer the immediate questions and remarks above: no, this is probably not literally the best flashlight ever. I tend to use such colloquial terms with many of my designs just to invoke a bit of humor and, in this case, controversy as well. You see, I make lamps. Google Luke Lamp Co. and you'll see some of the stuff I've made. I never meant this design to appeal to the hardcore flashlight folks - as the thread above clearly indicates I wouldn't have a chance anyways, you guys are some harsh critics ; )

Anyhow I like simply making things that look sweet, work well, and serve some unique purposes. With this light, as mentioned on my Kickstarter page, I started with a rugged and simple Streamlight LED light, then worked a handmade wood and steel shaft around it to give it a cool look, substantial feel, and some neat add ons with the threaded tip. I've got some lamp stand designs in the works which will allow the light the thread into the base and make a little bedside lamp, etc. so that'll be cool too.

To the point above about reporting me to someone's legal department I reiterate what I said above: I had no friggin clue what I was getting myself into with this. However, it is all legally ok. It's considered a "value-added" design or something like that. Plus SureFire (not Streamlight) contacted me six days after I posted my project and we're currently in talks about cobranding a design so that's one neat thing at least : )

I'll stop rambling now but I figured I may as well chime in on this discussion. I work at a psychiatric hospital so I've gotten a pretty tough skin - however I ask that we keep things to helpful feedback instead of hatin' on my humble little design that certainly doesn't claim to be anything it is not.

I shall now hold my breath and await whatever is about to come my way : )

Yours truly,

Luke

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everybody - let me begin by saying I honestly had no idea what I was getting myself into with this little flashlight design of mine.

To answer the immediate questions and remarks above: no, this is probably not literally the best flashlight ever. I tend to use such colloquial terms with many of my designs just to invoke a bit of humor and, in this case, controversy as well. You see, I make lamps. Google Luke Lamp Co. and you'll see some of the stuff I've made. I never meant this design to appeal to the hardcore flashlight folks - as the thread above clearly indicates I wouldn't have a chance anyways, you guys are some harsh critics ; )

Anyhow I like simply making things that look sweet, work well, and serve some unique purposes. With this light, as mentioned on my Kickstarter page, I started with a rugged and simple Streamlight LED light, then worked a handmade wood and steel shaft around it to give it a cool look, substantial feel, and some neat add ons with the threaded tip. I've got some lamp stand designs in the works which will allow the light the thread into the base and make a little bedside lamp, etc. so that'll be cool too.

To the point above about reporting me to someone's legal department I reiterate what I said above: I had no friggin clue what I was getting myself into with this. However, it is all legally ok. It's considered a "value-added" design or something like that. Plus SureFire (not Streamlight) contacted me six days after I posted my project and we're currently in talks about cobranding a design so that's one neat thing at least : )

I'll stop rambling now but I figured I may as well chime in on this discussion. I work at a psychiatric hospital so I've gotten a pretty tough skin - however I ask that we keep things to helpful feedback instead of hatin' on my humble little design that certainly doesn't claim to be anything it is not.

I shall now hold my breath and await whatever is about to come my way : )

Yours truly,

Luke

Welcome to CPF, & congrats on your SF collaboration (report: redacted).

Okay you heard him guys, only positive & helpful replies from here on out- no hatin'!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the use of AAAA cells puts some harsh limits on what you can do. Rechargeable AAAAs are hard to come by, and they aren't much smaller than AAAs or a smaller Li-Ion cell. Smaller alkies = lower current limit and capacity, and that's just a pain. Of course, in a wooden body there are heat limits, and I don't know what your thermal path looks like. I wonder if you could lower your personal cost to manufacture using some of the 'built in a pipe' LED technology described in the homebuilt forum here (Rather than a streamlight module)?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes... why AAAA's? Even I don't know where I could find some...

I kinda like how it looks like a wooden candle when screwed in the base (although I would be afraid to scratch my table or night stand with the base itself) , but it would be a lot better if the switch was actually lit... kinda like a real candle