Sunwayman V10A vs M10A XM-L output on 14500

nicow777

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy a new AA light for EDC, I'm finally settling on either a V10A or M10A XM-L and use it with 14500.

I'm leaning toward the M10A for the additional strobe mode available, but the output of both on 14500 confuse me:

On batteryjunction (it seems to be the only place with output data on 14500?), it says 460 Lumens when using 1 x 14500 for the V10A, and 210 Lumens when using 1x14500 battery for the M10A.
Shouldn't the 2 output be the same as the only difference is the UI ? If the output of the M10A if really that different, I think I would drop the additional strobe mode for more output power.

nicow777

Newly Enlightened
Well tried to contact sunwayman support directly, but no answer to my question.

I hope someone here has the answer ?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems you are comparing the V10A XML to the M10A R5. If you get the M10A XML version, the output should be the same to the V10A XML.

Hope this helps.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems you are comparing the V10A XML to the M10A R5. If you get the M10A XML version, the output should be the same to the V10A XML.

It should be, but I haven't found anything on Sunwayman's site confirming this. Are you saying you know this to be true? Can you point me at the source? Maybe I suck at the internet, i can't find it :)

nicow777

Newly Enlightened
I'm comparing the 2 XM-L version on batteryjunction:

SUNWAYMAN M10A LED Flashlight with CREE XM-L T6 LED, Up to 210 Lumens - Uses 1 x AA or 1 x 14500
SUNWAYMAN V10A LED Flashlight with CREE XM-L T6 LED Up To 460 Lumens - Uses 1 x 14500 or 1 x AA

And sunwayman replied to me (I emailed them about the same question as in my first post):

"Thanks for your email and interest in Sunwayman products.
The circuit of V10A is different from that of M10A, so the output will be very different when using 14500 batteries.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us, thanks."

Well it looks like batteryjunction is right, the output are really different.

I guess I will be going for the extra output with the V10A.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting eye-opener there! You'd think the XML's would have similar outputs, but no! hehehehe. Well, more output is a better buy. :)

JulianP

Enlightened
I don't understand Sunwayman's philosophy (yet). Sunwayman is about to release the M11R. The specs say it runs on a 16340, and has a Cree XM-L U2, for a max output of...230 lumens on turbo.

Not long ago they were selling their anniversary V10R Ti2 version with a similar LED, for an output of 500 Lumens. They all sold out in a picosecond, so I was waiting for the standard version with 500L and an aluminium host.

I've just ordered the V10A with the XML U2, which at least puts out the 460 Lumens described above. But...I still dream of a V10A Ti with a XML U2 and at least 500 Lumens.

kkeyser

Newly Enlightened
I've just ordered the V10A with the XML U2, which at least puts out the 460 Lumens described above. But...I still dream of a V10A Ti with a XML U2 and at least 500 Lumens.

The new ti+ is slated to come out at the end of this month. You can preorder it where the light hits the junction (not sure if it's ok to post links). There is more info on the sunwayman forum.

On a side note, I don't think the aluminum v10a has a u2 xm-l, but instead has a t6 xm-l.

JulianP

Enlightened
The new ti+ is slated to come out at the end of this month. You can preorder it where the light hits the junction (not sure if it's ok to post links). There is more info on the sunwayman forum.

On a side note, I don't think the aluminum v10a has a u2 xm-l, but instead has a t6 xm-l.

You're right, I meant the t6. I'll check the forum, thanks.

Edit: I just pulled the trigger on the new ti+. Now the junction only has 11 units left for pre-order. I guess I'll keep the ti+ at home and take the V10A when I travel. Something to look forward to in March.

Last edited:

RBWNY

Enlightened
I wonder if any changes have been made to the XM-L version of the V10A? I have the XP-G version, and although very nice...with a 14500 (which is all I use in it) it gets REALLY hot if left on high for a few minutes, (at around 260 lumens) and the battery life is rather short. Your experiences with the XM-L would be welcome!

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if any changes have been made to the XM-L version of the V10A? I have the XP-G version, and although very nice...with a 14500 (which is all I use in it) it gets REALLY hot if left on high for a few minutes, (at around 260 lumens) and the battery life is rather short. Your experiences with the XM-L would be welcome!

It's EXACTLY the same with my V10A XML. Though here, it gets hot really quick due to the tropical weather. What i do to keep it cool (and for more run time) is to keep it in the mid setting, that way, it will last longer and wont get hot.

But compared to my Quark AA with a 14500 also, the run time of the Quark beats the Sunwayman easily.

Careful about always running your flashlight hot, the LED and circuits wont last long.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
You're right, I meant the t6. I'll check the forum, thanks.

Edit: I just pulled the trigger on the new ti+. Now the junction only has 11 units left for pre-order. I guess I'll keep the ti+ at home and take the V10A when I travel. Something to look forward to in March.

I wouldn't worry about the "only" 11 units. Nobody knows the actual release date or can preorder from SWM yet (beyond the price). The "11" is likely an arbitrary number.