Maxpedition - Knives and Tools
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Law enforcement duty belt, what do you carry?

Default Law enforcement duty belt, what do you carry?

When I first started almost 25 years ago I carried a 2AA minimag as a backup light and a department issued 4D maglight. Recently my duty belt lights changed again. I went from a Fenix LD20 and a Jetbeam PA40 to two Klarus lights. I currently carry the XT2C and the P2a. I absolutely love the U.I. on the XT series lights. I carry the P2A as a backup for it's simplicity and because it takes readily available batteries. It's simply amazing when you look back and realize just how far flashlights have come. Just wondering what you guys doing the same type of work carry on your belts.

Default Re: Law enforcement duty belt, what do you carry?

The Klarus XT11 is now a really popular EDC, in line with your affection for the XT's UI and how freekin bright it is, etc.

I have a Klarus XT20 and XT11 for example.

Thrunite Scorpion v2
    "We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." -Ben Sweetland

Flashaholic*

Surefire C2 or a 4Sevens G5 in a V70 on my belt depending on mood and a Surefire L1 or 4Sevens 2-123 Turbo warm in my pocket again mood dependent.
    My Lights: EDC; Nitecore EC1, ZLSC52, Quark Mini AAW, Preon P2
    Duty; Mag Recharger, Malkoff MD2 w/M60, C2 Bored w/LX2 clip Malkof M61 219

On my belt I alternate between my Klarus XT-11 and the Thrunite Scorpion. As a back up usually a four sevens Quark 123x2 tactical XML with deep pocket clip.
    If Klarus had included a clip on the rest of the XT line my 2C would be my EDC and back up. Really a poor choice not to add a clip to the other XT series lights
    In god we trust.........all others are suspects
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms
    Too many new lights to list

This is great information, good to know what lights are actually being used in the field! ...... But do you guys give breaks to CPF members?

Flashaholic*

SF C2 with M61W.
    HDS 170T as back up.

Custom light on my belt using the Blackhawk holster (love that holster).
    Malkoff MD2 as backup in my vest.
    HDS 170T in my cargo pocket/on shoulder depending.

Here's the custom light. Running about 1000 lumens on a single 18650. Single mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Nemo View Post
    Custom light on my belt using the Blackhawk holster (love that holster).
    Malkoff MD2 as backup in my vest.
    HDS 170T in my cargo pocket/on shoulder depending.

Here's the custom light. Running about 1000 lumens on a single 18650. Single mode.

very nice! is that a custom metal finish/knurling on the handle? it almost looks like that part of the light is part of a computer generate image.

i'm a student officer at my university (not mandated so that being said I don't arrest people, but simply help deal with the students who drink at night and get them home safe so they don't make the decision to drive intoxicated. it's honestly the best job in the world) in the southern US, but I use a ZebraLight SC51 clipped onto a metal ring on my 5.11 pants and have an ArmyTek Predator as my 'big' light.

if you want a good light that legitimately looks like it's ready to go to war, get the ArmyTek Predator. it cannot be beat. it's about $30 or $40 more than the XT11 which I've also been eyeing, although the XT11 should have a lot more flood than the Predator, so it's up to your specific needs/wants in a light I suppose. I will say the Predator is totally programmable. I've got mine set up for single output at 100% on line/mode 1, and two different speed strobes at 100% output on mode/line 2. it's very versatile and could be a good one you should consider.

the Sunwayman V10A on a li-ion cell is also quite nice. I recommend the XM-L version, it puts out a nice wall of light that will illuminate a good wide area in front of you, plus, it has the variable control ring.

another light you may wanna look into is the Sunwayman L10A or L10R (depending on which battery type it supports), it's a good one to clip on your uniform if you needed to write a ticket. it's got a momentary strobe that can be activated too which is nice
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Very interesting to hear what other folks in the field are using. I suspect our needs are similar even if the details of the job differ. Although I am using the XT2C an upgrade to the XT11 won't take long. What I like about the XT's U.I. is it's simplicity. I have never had to use the strobe at work but, if I did, I suspect it would require quick access. Having the XT's secondary switch allowing instant access to the strobe function whether the light is on or off is a very important function to me. I also like the same button, with a quick tap, changes brightness modes when the light is on. I can change brightness or go to the strobe without any complicated actions or two handed twists of the head. I loved my Fenix LD20 but it had these drawbacks. You had to cycle through several modes with half clicks of the tail switch to get to and from strobe. The Fenix also lacked the Klarus' momentary ability.

Quote Originally Posted by madecov View Post
    On my belt I alternate between my Klarus XT-11 and the Thrunite Scorpion. As a back up usually a four sevens Quark 123x2 tactical XML with deep pocket clip.
    If Klarus had included a clip on the rest of the XT line my 2C would be my EDC and back up. Really a poor choice not to add a clip to the other XT series lights
    Agreed. I am sure I could easily add a clip but I shouldn't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    if you want a good light that legitimately looks like it's ready to go to war, get the ArmyTek Predator.
    I like the look of the light and don't doubt it's toughness but the U.I. seems complicated. Multiple lines to access mode groups to me = unpractical in actual use. Have you found this to be a problem?

After trying several different lights with all sorts of modes over a period of three years, single mode is the way to go for a primary light. Nothing to think about - on when you need it, off when you don't.

LX2 on the rig and HDS 170T in the pocket.

Call me plain jane: Streamlight DS HP

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Nemo View Post
    After trying several different lights with all sorts of modes over a period of three years, single mode is the way to go for a primary light. Nothing to think about - on when you need it, off when you don't.
    Agreed. That is why my primary is a C2 with an M61W. Nothing to think about, and I know exactly what I am getting each and every time I need it.

Primary: quark 123 2 on belt
    Back-up: preon 2 in pocket

I work days exclusively, if I had to work nights, id probably go to larger rechargeable as primary and move quark to back-up

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Flashaholic*

Currently:

Duty light is a new Streamlight SL-20L.

Tac light is a Surefire 6PX.
    There's more to a light than its output.

CPF Member 13...

Surefire G2Z/Malkoff M61N in a V70 holster on my left side. Streamlight Stinger in a leather holster on my right side. Both behind the center line.

What we tend to find is that depending on the nature of the individual's assignment/duties...different UI and different beam patterns, form factors, etc, are favored.

If you patrol a railroad yard and need to flood the yard before the hobo with the handkerchief on the stick has a chance to hide, you hear a noise, and want the light to go on in high, period...and flood the place....and that high might need to be 1000+ lumens.

If you need to search a car, or read a map, that one 1,000 lumen light either needs a low, or, you need a second dimmer light that won't glare you to death at close quarters.

This is why so many like the Klarus UI, you DO get one button for on/off...and it ONLY comes on in HIGH....simple. If you want less light, you hit the other button...again, easy. Turn it on again after it had last been used in low, and it comes on in high...like always...no memory, no scrolling, etc.

People who don't NEED a lot of light, ALL they do requires 100 - 200 lumens, etc...can get away with one level, "ON"....and, then, "OFF". This way, they can't screw up....they also never have to scroll, etc.

Guys who patrol with a light on want it to be able to click on/off one handed...if they have to hold a momentary switch on for hours on end, their hands would cramp up, etc...plus, if the sheite were to hit the fan, and they had to turn the light OFF to avoid it being used as a target beacon for a bad guy...they do NOT want to then have to take two hands to TWIST the cap, etc...to unlock it.

The guys who are using the light in short bursts...or to enter a prospective fire fight, etc...they CAN afford to hold the momentary button down during the entire engagement....as its worth it to simply be able to let go to turn the light off in a hurry.

So one group using the lights for a long patrol hates twisties, as if they need to turn the light off, they must sacrifice the gun hand to use it to do the twisting...and they don't want to hold in a momentary switch for an entire dark patrol either...so a simple, intuitive on/off click works like a charm.

The other group tends to be afraid that they might forget to click the light instead of letting go, MOSTLY guys who ONLY HAD momentary/twisty lights..and are conditioned to let go, not to click.

If you learn on a clicky, the clicky is natural...if you learn on a momentary, then that seems natural, etc....its what works for you.

Generally, NO LEO's I know want a light that you have to scroll through modes to get HIGH, EVER.

Non-LEO's HATE lights that come on in high, because they typically want a little light to see where they dropped something, or to not bump into stuff, etc....so most lights out there are available for the masses with low-med-high orders...instead of High first.

Compare the LEO's writing tickets and patrolling warehouses, parks/large dark areas, who depend on flooding an area to see all the perps and where they're hiding at once, to the ones in essentially combat situations....and you get into the preferences for a tight beam with no spill to illuminate your position/the guy next to you...and more or less just put a circle on the perp to aim at.

One group's lives depend on NOT having to sweep a small circle of light back and forth to stitch together what's out there..they want DAYLIGHT - NOW!

The other group's lives depend upon a small circle of light to provide an aim point.

So, just like a jeep guy will scoff that the Porche can't even climb a curb, and the Porche guy will scoff that the jeep would flip over if it cornered at a walk, etc...the LEO's, etc...will all have reasons why THEIR light is best...and it might be, for them.

So its always interesting when you see what is in the field....there's always a method to the madness.

BTW - This is the moral equivalent of patrolling in the old days with a pearl handled revolver:

This is a work of ART!

Last edited by TEEJ; 02-29-2012 at 06:40 PM.

[QUOTE=TEEJ;
    ...they do NOT want to then have to take two hands to TWIST the cap, etc...to unlock it.

...as if they need to turn the light off, they must sacrifice the gun hand to use it to do the twisting

[/QUOTE]

Rotating the tailcap does not require two hands. This function is easily accomplished with the thumb and index finger of the hand holding the light.

Quote Originally Posted by flashlight nut View Post
    Rotating the tailcap does not require two hands. This function is easily accomplished with the thumb and index finger of the hand holding the light.
    This depends on the light, Most of the current multi mode models use the head as the switch.
    Maelstrom 5 & 7
    O light M21X
    Eagletac T20C2 MKII

I know there are many more

The Fenix TK-21 and O light M20-S have a secondary button, but side switches are sometimes (almost always) in the wrong position when needed. Those who use a Magcharger or Streamlight SL-20 probably end up rotating the light around to orient the switch often
    In god we trust.........all others are suspects
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms
    Too many new lights to list

Blackhawk Gladius and ASP Triad on the duty belt and a Scorpion and Surefire M3 Combat light in my bugout bag.

Flashaholic

Currently I run a Surefire G2X Tactical on the belt, but I have at least one, and sometimes two other lights on me to test out and play around with between training time.

In my last year or so on patrol I used my Streamlight SL20X with Terralux 600 lumen drop-in, an Eagletac P20A2 Mk II or Streamlight PT2AA clipped to my sap pocket, and a Streamlight PT1L on my belt. I also had/have a weapon-light on my handgun.

Over my career I've carried many different lights and found they all have their pros and cons. Currently I'm carrying an HDS 170 dialed down to 85 lumens for better runtime. It's good but definitely better suited as an outdoors/camping/EDC light. Simple 'piston' switches like in the Surefire are preferable and better suited for stressful situations IMO.

Flashaholic*

Default Law Enforcement Duty Belt, What Do You Carry?

I am issued a Streamlight Stinger LED DS. It is pretty basic, but it is all I need most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by madecov View Post
    This depends on the light, Most of the current multi mode models use the head as the switch.
    Maelstrom 5 & 7
    O light M21X
    Eagletac T20C2 MKII

I know there are many more

The Fenix TK-21 and O light M20-S have a secondary button, but side switches are sometimes (almost always) in the wrong position when needed. Those who use a Magcharger or Streamlight SL-20 probably end up rotating the light around to orient the switch often
    TEEJ's post was specifically talking about tailcaps with a momentary only funtion with a twist for constant on or lockout. Those are the the segments I quoted and I specifically stated tailcaps in my post. I do agree, however, that twisting the head would be difficult with one hand if it had to be done quickly.

Flashaholic

Coast HP17

615 lumen
    Cree XML
    3 D-cell
    Spotlight or Flood

Quote Originally Posted by flashlight nut View Post
    Only problem, and why I don't use "twist for constant on" lights, is that when situations get really bad fine motor skills diminish. Even though it may seem like a simple task, the fact it involves two fingers makes it complicated (ONE of the reasons why many law enforcement agencies use Glocks - no safety to manipulate). Big button on the back of the light involves nothing but a click and the light stays on if I need to toss it in a room, down a hall, or up an attic.

That's also the reason I carry all my lights in the Blackhawk holster. No flaps, straps, buttons, velcro, etc to worry about. A quick tug and the light is out.

My current carry light is cetainly fancy, but with the trits now installed, I can find it a whole lot easier if I drop it ( I work nights exclusively), it's rechargeable, and bright. I lost my black Gladius in an alley after a foot pursuit- it was by chance one of my squad mates stumbled upon it by a dumpster and I was able to get it back.

I whole heartedly agree with you about fine motor skills. The problem is determining which motor skills and thought processes are most important. Try performing simple drills at the range such as moving and shooting with short burst of light. Then throw in reloads and clearing malfunctions. While using a soft press to momentarily turn on the flashlight, most people will inadvertently press too hard and activate constant on. Now their attention is directed to the function of the light and not on the threat. In a high stress situation something so simple can have dire consequences. If this happens during a reload or while clearing a malfunction, the officer is lit up so the bad guy knows what is happening.
    Both arguments are valid and no one light will perform best in all scenarios. All I ask is that you train with your equipment and make sure it performs the way you expect it to.