Law enforcement duty belt, what do you carry?

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
When I first started almost 25 years ago I carried a 2AA minimag as a backup light and a department issued 4D maglight. Recently my duty belt lights changed again. I went from a Fenix LD20 and a Jetbeam PA40 to two Klarus lights. I currently carry the XT2C and the P2a. I absolutely love the U.I. on the XT series lights. I carry the P2A as a backup for it's simplicity and because it takes readily available batteries. It's simply amazing when you look back and realize just how far flashlights have come. Just wondering what you guys doing the same type of work carry on your belts.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The Klarus XT11 is now a really popular EDC, in line with your affection for the XT's UI and how freekin bright it is, etc.

I have a Klarus XT20 and XT11 for example.

Viper715

Enlightened
Surefire C2 or a 4Sevens G5 in a V70 on my belt depending on mood and a Surefire L1 or 4Sevens 2-123 Turbo warm in my pocket again mood dependent.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my belt I alternate between my Klarus XT-11 and the Thrunite Scorpion. As a back up usually a four sevens Quark 123x2 tactical XML with deep pocket clip.
If Klarus had included a clip on the rest of the XT line my 2C would be my EDC and back up. Really a poor choice not to add a clip to the other XT series lights

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is great information, good to know what lights are actually being used in the field! ...... But do you guys give breaks to CPF members?

Capt. Nemo

Newly Enlightened
Custom light on my belt using the Blackhawk holster (love that holster).
Malkoff MD2 as backup in my vest.
HDS 170T in my cargo pocket/on shoulder depending.

Here's the custom light. Running about 1000 lumens on a single 18650. Single mode.

DSC00287.jpg

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Custom light on my belt using the Blackhawk holster (love that holster).
Malkoff MD2 as backup in my vest.
HDS 170T in my cargo pocket/on shoulder depending.

Here's the custom light. Running about 1000 lumens on a single 18650. Single mode.

DSC00287.jpg
very nice! is that a custom metal finish/knurling on the handle? it almost looks like that part of the light is part of a computer generate image.

i'm a student officer at my university (not mandated so that being said I don't arrest people, but simply help deal with the students who drink at night and get them home safe so they don't make the decision to drive intoxicated. it's honestly the best job in the world) in the southern US, but I use a ZebraLight SC51 clipped onto a metal ring on my 5.11 pants and have an ArmyTek Predator as my 'big' light.

if you want a good light that legitimately looks like it's ready to go to war, get the ArmyTek Predator. it cannot be beat. it's about $30 or $40 more than the XT11 which I've also been eyeing, although the XT11 should have a lot more flood than the Predator, so it's up to your specific needs/wants in a light I suppose. I will say the Predator is totally programmable. I've got mine set up for single output at 100% on line/mode 1, and two different speed strobes at 100% output on mode/line 2. it's very versatile and could be a good one you should consider.

the Sunwayman V10A on a li-ion cell is also quite nice. I recommend the XM-L version, it puts out a nice wall of light that will illuminate a good wide area in front of you, plus, it has the variable control ring.

another light you may wanna look into is the Sunwayman L10A or L10R (depending on which battery type it supports), it's a good one to clip on your uniform if you needed to write a ticket. it's got a momentary strobe that can be activated too which is nice

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting to hear what other folks in the field are using. I suspect our needs are similar even if the details of the job differ. Although I am using the XT2C an upgrade to the XT11 won't take long. What I like about the XT's U.I. is it's simplicity. I have never had to use the strobe at work but, if I did, I suspect it would require quick access. Having the XT's secondary switch allowing instant access to the strobe function whether the light is on or off is a very important function to me. I also like the same button, with a quick tap, changes brightness modes when the light is on. I can change brightness or go to the strobe without any complicated actions or two handed twists of the head. I loved my Fenix LD20 but it had these drawbacks. You had to cycle through several modes with half clicks of the tail switch to get to and from strobe. The Fenix also lacked the Klarus' momentary ability.

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
On my belt I alternate between my Klarus XT-11 and the Thrunite Scorpion. As a back up usually a four sevens Quark 123x2 tactical XML with deep pocket clip.
If Klarus had included a clip on the rest of the XT line my 2C would be my EDC and back up. Really a poor choice not to add a clip to the other XT series lights

Agreed. I am sure I could easily add a clip but I shouldn't have to.

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
if you want a good light that legitimately looks like it's ready to go to war, get the ArmyTek Predator.

I like the look of the light and don't doubt it's toughness but the U.I. seems complicated. Multiple lines to access mode groups to me = unpractical in actual use. Have you found this to be a problem?

Capt. Nemo

Newly Enlightened
After trying several different lights with all sorts of modes over a period of three years, single mode is the way to go for a primary light. Nothing to think about - on when you need it, off when you don't.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
After trying several different lights with all sorts of modes over a period of three years, single mode is the way to go for a primary light. Nothing to think about - on when you need it, off when you don't.

Agreed. That is why my primary is a C2 with an M61W. Nothing to think about, and I know exactly what I am getting each and every time I need it.

k12cop

Newly Enlightened
Primary: quark 123 2 on belt
Back-up: preon 2 in pocket

I work days exclusively, if I had to work nights, id probably go to larger rechargeable as primary and move quark to back-up

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

USM0083

Enlightened
Surefire G2Z/Malkoff M61N in a V70 holster on my left side. Streamlight Stinger in a leather holster on my right side. Both behind the center line.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
What we tend to find is that depending on the nature of the individual's assignment/duties...different UI and different beam patterns, form factors, etc, are favored.

If you patrol a railroad yard and need to flood the yard before the hobo with the handkerchief on the stick has a chance to hide, you hear a noise, and want the light to go on in high, period...and flood the place....and that high might need to be 1000+ lumens.

If you need to search a car, or read a map, that one 1,000 lumen light either needs a low, or, you need a second dimmer light that won't glare you to death at close quarters.

This is why so many like the Klarus UI, you DO get one button for on/off...and it ONLY comes on in HIGH....simple. If you want less light, you hit the other button...again, easy. Turn it on again after it had last been used in low, and it comes on in high...like always...no memory, no scrolling, etc.

People who don't NEED a lot of light, ALL they do requires 100 - 200 lumens, etc...can get away with one level, "ON"....and, then, "OFF". This way, they can't screw up....they also never have to scroll, etc. :D

Guys who patrol with a light on want it to be able to click on/off one handed...if they have to hold a momentary switch on for hours on end, their hands would cramp up, etc...plus, if the sheite were to hit the fan, and they had to turn the light OFF to avoid it being used as a target beacon for a bad guy...they do NOT want to then have to take two hands to TWIST the cap, etc...to unlock it.

The guys who are using the light in short bursts...or to enter a prospective fire fight, etc...they CAN afford to hold the momentary button down during the entire engagement....as its worth it to simply be able to let go to turn the light off in a hurry.

So one group using the lights for a long patrol hates twisties, as if they need to turn the light off, they must sacrifice the gun hand to use it to do the twisting...and they don't want to hold in a momentary switch for an entire dark patrol either...so a simple, intuitive on/off click works like a charm.

The other group tends to be afraid that they might forget to click the light instead of letting go, MOSTLY guys who ONLY HAD momentary/twisty lights..and are conditioned to let go, not to click.

If you learn on a clicky, the clicky is natural...if you learn on a momentary, then that seems natural, etc....its what works for you.

Generally, NO LEO's I know want a light that you have to scroll through modes to get HIGH, EVER.

Non-LEO's HATE lights that come on in high, because they typically want a little light to see where they dropped something, or to not bump into stuff, etc....so most lights out there are available for the masses with low-med-high orders...instead of High first.

Compare the LEO's writing tickets and patrolling warehouses, parks/large dark areas, who depend on flooding an area to see all the perps and where they're hiding at once, to the ones in essentially combat situations....and you get into the preferences for a tight beam with no spill to illuminate your position/the guy next to you...and more or less just put a circle on the perp to aim at.

One group's lives depend on NOT having to sweep a small circle of light back and forth to stitch together what's out there..they want DAYLIGHT - NOW!

The other group's lives depend upon a small circle of light to provide an aim point.

So, just like a jeep guy will scoff that the Porche can't even climb a curb, and the Porche guy will scoff that the jeep would flip over if it cornered at a walk, etc...the LEO's, etc...will all have reasons why THEIR light is best...and it might be, for them.

So its always interesting when you see what is in the field....there's always a method to the madness.

:naughty:

BTW - This is the moral equivalent of patrolling in the old days with a pearl handled revolver:

DSC00287.jpg

This is a work of ART!

:D

Last edited: