Klarus
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A reminder to never lend out lights...

Default Re: A reminder to never lend out lights...

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    Ya LoJac for your light, an awsome concept. Probably possible modifying one of those USB programmable lights I actually suggested a dongle in another thread, light will only operate within 6 feet of , LOL.
    GL
    No, more to say "Well, here we are in the atrium. It's rumored that the original owner of this house saw his wife fall to her death right... here." and click their lights off.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

Default A reminder to never lend out lights...

I have no idea why I did it, but I sure as hell regret doing it.

Yesterday, a co-worker lost his keys. No one had any idea where, but the keys that he lost consisted not only of the key for the building, but included his house and car keys, as well. This is a regular occurence, but it was the first time where he really, really, really lost them.

Anyway, he tried to find them using incandescent Garrity 2D that we have lying around. Obviously, it wasn't helping much to illuminate every nooks and crannies. After a while, he turned to me and asked me if I could borrow one of my lights.

Me: "No."

He's the clumsy type where everything that he holds on ends up either breaking apart or becoming lost.

Co-worker: "Why?"

Over the years, I have given him at least four flashlights as gifts, but he has lost EVERY. SINGLE. ONE OF THEM. Two IlluminaTi CA1, iTP EOS A3 and TerraLUX LightStar 100. He has lost every single one of them within two weeks of having given to him. Of course, I pointed this out to him.

Me: "What happened to the four different lights that I gave you?"

And, obviously, he side-stepped the issue.

Co-worker: "C'mon, are you REALLY not going to lend me your light?"
    Me: "Uh, yeah."

He then tries to get another co-worker to borrow my light FOR him.

Co-worker: "What if <name> borrowed your light?"
    Me: "Nope."
    Co-worker: "But, why?"
    Me: "Because you are not <name>?"

After a brief argument, I ended up handing my fully blinged-out Quark "X" Tactical with Fenix diffuser, turbo tailcap and AA body because I didn't want the charade to continue, considering how I was extremely busy with my work and he was becoming annoying not only from the argument, but the fact that he was getting in the way of my work.

After I handed it to him;

Me: "I would appreciate it if you can refrain from losing my $80 flashlight."

He nods, and ends up DROPPING the light to the ground.

Me: "AND I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF YOU CAN REFRAIN FROM BREAKING IT, AS WELL!"

After he was done fruitlessly searching for his keys, he returned my light... Except that I didn't see the diffuser still attached to it.

Me: "Uh, where's the thing that goes in the front?"

He fishes for it in his pocket and digs it out. I take it without much thought and tried to fit it to the head of the light, at which point I immediately noticed something was wrong. I take a look at it and, sure enough, the diffuser is broken.

Me: "Great. Thanks. You broke my light, you ******* idiot."
    Co-worker: "Really?"
    (I show him the broken diffuser.)
    Me: "YES."

That's it. He now KNOWS that I am never lending him anything in my possession. But the damage has been done.

To be honest, I'm not really angry about the diffuser being broke. It's pretty cheap. What I am angry about is that I was a complete fool to lend out my light to a complete moron without any sort of accountability.

If there was anything positive to all of this, it was something that another one of my co-workers said when I used my TN11 when she was searching for the keys using another 2D Garrity. As she was searching under some cabinets with that dim light, I lent her a hand and shined my TN11 down there.

Co-worker: "WOAH!!"
    Me: "Too bright?"
    Co-worker: "It was, like, daylight, all of a sudden!"
    Me: "Well, sorry about that."
    Co-worker: "Oh, no, I just got shocked a little. I thought it was the flashlight that I was holding, and was, like, 'what HAPPENED to this flashlight?'"
    Last edited by Norm; 02-29-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: ****** language edit

Thats exactly why I have 4 UF lights kicking around, they are exactly the same and can be replaced easily for $25 plus a 18650, also a UF. Nobody but nobody borrows my good lights.

In God we trust
    For everyone else we have Smith & Wesson

I never loan anything anymore, because every time I do, it comes back worse than when it left.
    If ever I feel the need, Ill help someone by using my own stuff, but never will I let someone borrow something again.
    It never turns out good.

Truthfully, you should have already known what was going to happen. If he couldnt keep 4 of them, why in the world would you trust him a 5th time?

Say no, go back to work. End of it, and you have all the pieces in the same condition they were in before the conversation!

Sorry, I just have zero tolerance for people with no respect for others property....

Enlightened

Ha! That's why I keep 2 flashlights at work. The loaner is a cheapo "something-FIRE" that has a dodgy clicky but works nonetheless.
    Lend my good stuff out? No way...

+1 to this whole convo. Sorry about your diffuser though.

Should have stuck to your guns. No means NO. And why would you let him have it with the diffuser in place? Didnt you think that would be the first thing he tried to rip off of it? Thats why I carry a $2 keychain light attatched to my keys. Its the only "loaner" I have.

entertaining story (and sorry for the regret). regretting is worse than paying for the plastic. (a McDonalds hamburger or fastfood is more expensive than the diffuser and we buy hamburgers all the time!)

which diffuser was it? this one:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...stom-Quark-AAX

good idea not to lend out our good lights but only spare ones. XXXFire, rayovac indestructible, ..
    i like your contributions to cpf. always worth the reading.
    Dont feed the trolls.
    ©2012 Got Lumens?

Next time tell him to give you $80 first as a fully refundable loaners fee first. And tell him if it returns with marks or damage you will be deducting an appropriate amount... If he gives you the light back in one piece there's no problem. Otherwise he just bought himself a broken $80 light

NO means no, and you let him intimidate you into giving him a light. You got what you deserved. From what you told us the outcome surprises you?

I carry beater lights most of the time. Office carry had been my EN mule, I wouldn't mind lending it out as long as I get it back.
    Only one Co-worker knows I carry a light though.

Once I bring in something fancier I'll think twice about lending it out.

At least you have learned your (expensive) lesson.
    My lightsWTB: Surefire: New/Used/Rare. Currently looking for everything Crosshairs + D2. Interesting trades available.Everybody, just send your lights directly to James - he'll end up with them anyhow, lol. -Kestrel

Sounds like a case for dollar store flashlights. If you know what you're looking at, and get a bit lucky, some of them are decent lights. And cheap enough to loan/give to unreliable people.

Beater lights, yes. Loaner? No way. Live and learn.

Wilkey

Flashaholic

That thread reminds me to get a turbo tailcap!!! I would not normally lend but depends on the person really. I mean you cant refuse your bro, dad or good friend....or can you? :-P

sent from my mob. Excuse misspelling. thanks!

That's really strange...I mean if anyone borrowed something from me and lost/broke it they would automatically ask me how much was it and either refund me the cash or buy a new one and give it to me.
    Heck, I'd do the same.
    It's the 'culture' here. Isn't it just bad manners to not do anything when you lost or damaged someone else's property?
    Then it comes to be that the soothing light
    At the end of your tunnel
    Was just a FREIGHT TRAIN coming your way...

I have a few friends and 2 coworkers I'll lend any light to in a second. They know the value, and treat the light accordingly.

Once a good friend borrowed one of my lights, and I got a call from him the next day: "Where do they sell these Fenix flashlights?"
    At first I thought he wanted to buy one for himself, but it turned out he lost my LD10 I lend him the other day. I found out later that day when he handed a brand new boxed LD10 to me: "I lost the one you lend me, so I bought a new one for you."
    No questions asked, he just bought a new light for me when he lost the original one. That's why I'll still lend him any light again if he needs it.

He actually found that LD10 a few months later in his couch. He simply told me with a grin: "I payed for a flashlight last summer, and now I finally got it." After I looked at him wondering what he was talking about he showed me that LD10. We both just laughed.

As for the casual 'Can I borrow one of your lights?' question: I got an Olight I2 EOS I could lend them, but only after I made it clear they'll have to replace it when they lose or break it.
    Everybody minds about their make-up, while they should be making their minds up.

My flashlight collection.

Eerily, I had a similar experience as that described by the OP...

I normally have some keychain coin cell lights that I would lend. If someone really needs a light for something important they might get a Fenix E01. If it is that important I would actually offer to go help them with only me handling my better lights. Same principle as if someone needs to use one of (my UK legal) edc penknives or multi-tool. I will use it for them so they don't damage it, misuse it or cut themselves.

Some people are bound for Darwin to dispose of...sigh. My EDC Surefires are pretty nigh indestructible...but as a few others have stated, my coworkers know the value, and will either get another light, or if the borrow one of my SF's, they treat it with respect. They've dropped them a few times, etc., but they're all still kickin'. Sorry to hear op.

A customer asked for a light to borrow so they could search for a glove. I asked if they had $400 in case they lost it and they laughed saying "no", since they didn't believe me.

I handed them my Clicky already turned on and said, "Really - good luck finding the glove."

Light was back in my hands a few minutes later with a smile.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

I will never lend anyone my EDC. Why? Because a bored Z2 with a Kenji Quad costs 400 dollars, and since it's a custom, it means i can't buy another should someone lose it. I do sometimes carry a backup in my bag in which case i could loan out.

I would have said, "sure, give me $xxx dollars as collateral, if the light comes back with nary a scratch, you bought it."

Flashaholic*

I lend things to my good friends. However, in the case given by the OP I would not loan such a light after the experiences he had.
    But, when the rubber meets the road I might rather loan a cheapie like those available. On ebay for example there is a AA light that is $1.99 incl shipping. I would probably buy two or three of those and keep in my desk for loaners if really needed.
    Jerry

Unfortunately your co-worker put you in a no win situation. Definitely get a cheap loaner light to lend out to people. It is as if they expect it. Some people just never get it. They have no respect for themselves or others. Or their property. Did he buy you a new diffuser at least? If not, I would let everyone know that he broke it and did not replace it. Replacing it is just common courtesy.

Buttrock Re: A reminder to never lend out lights...

I don't tend to have any lights that break that easily.....but I do worry about getting things back under some circumstances. The problem stems from other people not seeing the light as valuable..its just a flashlight...why the big deal?

If I know the person well enough that I would lend them the light even if i never saw it again...fine.

If I don't know the person well enough...well, then they don't know I HAVE a light.

Sometimes I'll just "Help them find the_________", so I am using the light.

I lost a total of one light, an HID I loaned to a coworker, and it was stolen from their truck...on an inspection job, by people who had a vested interest in interferring with the inspection. They broke his window to take it. Apparently it worked well enough to scare them that he would find MORE things wrong at their site the next day (There was a lot wrong the first and second days, and he had asked to borrow the HID for the second day due to the size of the areas involved, etc...and the HID had freeked them out on the second day)

The cameras in the parking lot there did come in handy at least....nailing the bass turds to the wall on that one.....but we never got the light back.

He offered to replace it, I told him it was ok...use the $ to get the window fixed, etc.

When my birthday came around, he got me a new HID.
    Last edited by TEEJ; 03-01-2012 at 09:13 AM.

"Avoid ****-ups.
    We all know the type.
    Anything that they have anything to do with,
    no matter how good it sounds,
    turns into a disaster.
    Do not offer sympathy to the mentally ill.
    Tell them firmly:
    I am not paid to listen to this drivel,
    you are a terminal boob."

-William S. Burroughs "Advice to Young People"

http://www.jjjwebdevelopment.com/306sites/burroughs/burroughs.shtml

Sorry a boob broke yer light.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by strinq View Post
    That's really strange...I mean if anyone borrowed something from me and lost/broke it they would automatically ask me how much was it and either refund me the cash or buy a new one and give it to me.
    Heck, I'd do the same.
    It's the 'culture' here. Isn't it just bad manners to not do anything when you lost or damaged someone else's property?
    That's the way I've been brought up. I just have a tough time understanding anything less although I know (first hand) otherwise. I lent out a locknut socket for Spicer differentials, once. The third guy that got it had the decency to try and clean up where the other two "mechanics" chewed up the engagement lugs. The first fellow thought it was OK to lend to a second who thought it was OK to lend to a third guy. Still looked like I lent it to a 6 year old with no clue how to use tools. Took alot of time with files to make it look like it should.

And yes, it's terribly poor manners to not take care of others gear as if it were your own. There's only a very select few that get to use my tools, about 3 or 5 is all. I've also learned how to be brutally blunt to anyone other than those few.
    Last edited by jimbo@stn23; 03-01-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Flashaholic

What better purpose for a couple of MiniMag LEDs than "loaners"? Lend a reasonable quality $20 light, keep HDS with Milky upgrades in pocket. It's a plan that works for me.
    Looking for something, use a handheld. Actually doing something, you need a headlamp.

Quote Originally Posted by strinq View Post
    Heck, I'd do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richub View Post
    I have a few friends and 2 coworkers I'll lend any light to in a second. They know the value, and treat the light accordingly.

Once a good friend borrowed one of my lights, and I got a call from him the next day: "Where do they sell these Fenix flashlights?"
    At first I thought he wanted to buy one for himself, but it turned out he lost my LD10 I lend him the other day. I found out later that day when he handed a brand new boxed LD10 to me: "I lost the one you lend me, so I bought a new one for you."
    No questions asked, he just bought a new light for me when he lost the original one. That's why I'll still lend him any light again if he needs it.

He actually found that LD10 a few months later in his couch. He simply told me with a grin: "I payed for a flashlight last summer, and now I finally got it." After I looked at him wondering what he was talking about he showed me that LD10. We both just laughed.

As for the casual 'Can I borrow one of your lights?' question: I got an Olight I2 EOS I could lend them, but only after I made it clear they'll have to replace it when they lose or break it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    I don't tend to have any lights that break that easily.....but I do worry about getting things back under some circumstances. The problem stems from other people not seeing the light as valuable..its just a flashlight...why the big deal?

If I know the person well enough that I would lend them the light even if i never saw it again...fine.

If I don't know the person well enough...well, then they don't know I HAVE a light.

Sometimes I'll just "Help them find the_________", so I am using the light.

I lost a total of one light, an HID I loaned to a coworker, and it was stolen from their truck...on an inspection job, by people who had a vested interest in interferring with the inspection. They broke his window to take it. Apparently it worked well enough to scare them that he would find MORE things wrong at their site the next day (There was a lot wrong the first and second days, and he had asked to borrow the HID for the second day due to the size of the areas involved, etc...and the HID had freeked them out on the second day)

The cameras in the parking lot there did come in handy at least....nailing the bass turds to the wall on that one.....but we never got the light back.

He offered to replace it, I told him it was ok...use the $ to get the window fixed, etc.

When my birthday came around, he got me a new HID.
    Just thought these three were worth reading again.

Too many people now days want to explain why they won't help others out. Rather than let the worst people determine how we should act, it's better to follow the best among us when determining how to treat others.

Love the LD10 and HID stories and that is how you find out who your actual friends are.
    Last edited by kaichu dento; 03-02-2012 at 12:17 AM.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

One of the benefits of carrying a McGizmo: you can loan it to someone without any fear of it being damaged, AND you can say "please be careful with it, it cost four hundred dollars."