Pride in your EDC Light

LedTed

Enlightened
While trying to find a method to back light a 0.002 in (0.05 mm) channel at work, I tried my EDC flashlight; my D11 V.2. Got' a say, with its cool white light and variable brightness, the D11 performed perfectly for this purpose.

It seemed indicative of someone who is not a CPF'er, when one of the engineers said, "I'm surprised, your cheap little flashlight worked so well." I immediately responded, "No, the D11 with trit is not a cheap little flashlight." He actually tried to correct me, "Sure it is, you can get those things for a buck at the gas station." I told him that if he could buy NiteCore D11-V2 flashlights with the tritium vials installed for just one dollar each, than I would buy everyone he could find for five dollars each.

I can hardly wait to see what flashlights, if any, he brings in tomorrow. After all, I did remind him and spell out the: brand, model, and accessory in an email.

I guess I wouldn't have pushed it with the reminder email if only he hadn't tried to correct me, oh well, hoping to give some good natured ribbing at work tomorrow.

Fastpowerstroker

Newly Enlightened
Yeah the bad part is he will want to sell them to you for profit because he can't tell the difference and you will have to argue over that:sick2: Or maybe you'll be able to convert him and show him the differences.:thumbsup:

JulianP

Enlightened
It seemed indicative of someone who is not a CPF'er, when one of the engineers said, "I'm surprised, your cheap little flashlight worked so well." I immediately responded, "No, the D11 with trit is not a cheap little flashlight." He actually tried to correct me, "Sure it is, you can get those things for a buck at the gas station."

You have turned him without realizing it yet. He is an engineer (likes tech), and he noticed the lumens (surprise = an emotional response). He asked himself where he could buy one, (maybe at the gas station). He double-checked with you without making it obvious.

Your colleague has taken the first step to becoming hooked to flashlights. In one year's time his wife and children will be wondering why he has so many flashlights.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's hilarious. It is always kind of a fun shock to observe on people's faces when they find out how much a quality tool can cost. Even the ones we consider to be budget lights are more expensive (and way better quality) than what most people even know exists.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can get a decent LED widget for $3.99 these days, but not one I'd use for anything but a loaner. Am I a bad person to loan out lights I wouldn't use?

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened
I can get a decent LED widget for $3.99 these days, but not one I'd use for anything but a loaner. Am I a bad person to loan out lights I wouldn't use?

Absolutely not. I keep cheap dollar lights around to hand out because the last time I let somebody borrow my light they scratched the body.

SENT FROM MY HTC THUNDERBOLT USING TAPATALK

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
I never loan someone a cheap light! I don't hand my people my M6LT, but I don't give them junk, either. I'm not so attached to my possessions that I can't bear to see them used. I like to share my hobby with people, and if they are interested in a good EDC light, they'll probably make it on my Christmas list.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
When someone who's only knowledge of "LED LIGHTS" consists of the el cheapo shower head LED's in the check out aisle at the truck stop or gas station, etc....its hard for them to comprehend that SOME LED lights cost hundreds of times more than that....just like it is hard for people who might wince at paying $10 for a drycell spot light at home depot, to understand that there are people who might pay $100 for a light.

Its like that for a lot of topics...any topic you are immersed in and aware of the details of will tend to be completely and totally unknown to other people.
Its the same for a lot of hobbies. There are levels of knowledge that are taken for granted by those into the topic...that are simply beyond the awareness of those not into it.

:D

Saying "With Trits" would mean NOTHING in the OP context, it could be the breakfast cereal the light came in for all that guy thought you were saying.

:D

Racer

Enlightened
I've always taken in pride in the subjects I immerse myself in, like EDC. I learned many years ago that I was harder than most people on my possessions, so if I didn't buy good EDC items like sunglasses, watches, etc. then they wouldn't last. Then it became a hobby and expanded to other items like pocket knives, flashlights, multi-tools, etc.

Some people wear their ignorance an any matter of subjects like a badge of honor. And some people like us here want to learn more and increase our knowledge. I'll see some random person's pocket knife and say "hey, can I see that?" and then proceed to grill them on what they know about it.

And I'm fine if someone sees my Sunwayman and thinks it's a $5 gas station flashlight, or if they see my Tag Heuer watch and think it's a $50 watch from Wal-Mart. I appreciate what I have. And it's fine with me if someone doesn't see the same value in it as me - just don't ask to borrow it ;)

I even apply that philosophy to the tools in my kitchen. People say it's a woman's domain but I see all that stuff as manly tools. My All-Clad pots and pans will outlive me with proper care. From my DeWalt power tools to the AMD Phenom II desktop I built myself. It's all a matter of pride.

So I guess what I'm saying is that pride in my EDC light is part of a life philosophy, and I suspect I'm not alone in this.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Good story, Ted. Your friend will have to go a long way to top the D11.2. Let him play with it a bit, and he'll appreciate its goodness.

Geoff

LedTed

Enlightened
Thanks for the great responses you guys!

I waited till after lunch today then went over to the engineer in the first post. I asked "What did you bring in today?" He knew that I wasn't referring to a late lunch. He muttered something inaudible. Then we both smirked; each for a different reason. Who knows, maybe the engineer will ask to see my NC D11 V.2 tomorrow?

yifu

Enlightened
l2t1.jpg
Well, i can't blame him, i had one of my Quarks mistaken for a 10 dollar light as well. I guess it( and the nitecore) has that genric 3 AAA light look. Which is why i EDC either one of the two above (L2T or Surefire Z2 bored with FM34). They look cool and NOTHING like what you can get in the shops. And with a Kenji Quad S2 at 1700 lumens (that's more lumen output than the SR90!) it certainly won't be confused with a dollar store light as well.

choombak

Enlightened
I've always taken in pride in the subjects I immerse myself in, like EDC. I learned many years ago that I was harder than most people on my possessions, so if I didn't buy good EDC items like sunglasses, watches, etc. then they wouldn't last. Then it became a hobby and expanded to other items like pocket knives, flashlights, multi-tools, etc.

Some people wear their ignorance an any matter of subjects like a badge of honor. And some people like us here want to learn more and increase our knowledge. I'll see some random person's pocket knife and say "hey, can I see that?" and then proceed to grill them on what they know about it.

And I'm fine if someone sees my Sunwayman and thinks it's a $5 gas station flashlight, or if they see my Tag Heuer watch and think it's a $50 watch from Wal-Mart. I appreciate what I have. And it's fine with me if someone doesn't see the same value in it as me - just don't ask to borrow it ;)

I even apply that philosophy to the tools in my kitchen. People say it's a woman's domain but I see all that stuff as manly tools. My All-Clad pots and pans will outlive me with proper care. From my DeWalt power tools to the AMD Phenom II desktop I built myself. It's all a matter of pride.

So I guess what I'm saying is that pride in my EDC light is part of a life philosophy, and I suspect I'm not alone in this.

+1. Exactly what I follow. My wife does not comprehend as to why my shoes cost more than $100 (and I have few pairs), while she can get maybe 4 or 5 of them in that cost. Or why I always opt for the best-in-class stuff, whatever it may be (I can afford). Its all a part of your life's philosophy as you correctly note.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should have bet him something when situations like this arise. Nothing serious, just say like a $10 lunch? My colleagues do that all the time. lol

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll see some random person's pocket knife and say "hey, can I see that?" and then proceed to grill them on what they know about it.

Hahaha that's awesome Racer! I bet those random people never see that coming, when they're handing their knife over to you. So what do you do, if it turns out they don't know jack about the steel, locking mechanism, history of the brand etc.? Hopefully you take the time to educate them before returning their property. Maybe with a quick compare/contrast demo vs. a Sebenza if possible- just don't engrave "POS" or anything into their plastic handle with it (that would take it from cool to kind of douchey LOL)!

:rock:

LedTed

Enlightened
The engineer from the first post in this thread showed me his new LED flashlight yesterday. Any guesses as to what he bought (probably at a gas station). He got one of those lights with nine 5mm LEDs in the head; powered by three AAA cells. As he passed me in the hall he hurriedly fumbled to dig his new flashlight out of his front right pocket. He clicked the light on and shined it directly in my face exclaiming, "Where were you on the night of the 25th?"

I was EDCing and clipped to my front left front pocket my ZL SC600 and clipped to my right front pocket my NC D11 V.2. I resisted the urge to return the inquisition with use of my SC600 on high. Instead I congratulated him on his new light. We both shared a little acknowledging laugh. He seemed happy and even a little proud of his new light. The situation makes me think that I should have taken that opportunity to tell him about CPF. Oh well, maybe next week?

Anyway, it looks like JulianP called this one.