Luxeon K2 LEDs

bbruce12

Newly Enlightened
I am a rookie on this site, and have a problem. I bought an expensive, used programable LED light for my aquarium. It is made by ...or I should say ...was...made by a company called PFO and sold under the name of Solaris. It has 6 banks of lights with 5 rows of 5 LEDs that are soldered onto an aluminum backed circuit board in each bank. The problem is that some of the LEDs are burned out. The other problem is that the LEDs are Luxeon K2 LEDs, and after doing a google search and contacting the manufacturer, I found out that these, too, are a discontinued item and they have none is stock and do not have any advice for me.

So, seems like I am on the search for the holy grail. I would like to ask if anyone has any Blue, White, or Green K2 LEDs...or...does anyone know who I could ask or where I could look to possibly find some..?...The manufacturer says that they do not make a direct replacement for them. I am hoping that someone somewhere can help me.

Thanks...

...Bruce

my email address is [email protected]

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
As it happens, I've got about 15 spare ones (white) lying around somewhere, brand new in reel package. Bought a bulk lot of 20, used one of them, and seem to have lost a couple. Let us know how many you are after, ballpark figure, etc.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not going to link them (as per CPF policies) but LEDSupply.com carries a small selection of of Luxeon K2's.

Mike S

Newly Enlightened
Luxeon Star has some blue and white ones in stock.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Depending on how its wired, you might be able to swap in other brand LED with similar spec's. SSC P4, or a Rebel, XPE, XPG.... on a 10mm board might be some options, along with newer knock-off generic LEDs that are probably equivalent to the k2's of the past.

evilc66

Enlightened
Depending on how its wired, you might be able to swap in other brand LED with similar spec's. SSC P4, or a Rebel, XPE, XPG.... on a 10mm board might be some options, along with newer knock-off generic LEDs that are probably equivalent to the k2's of the past.

The fixture he is talking about uses multiple FR4 pcbs with 5 LEDs per, and a single connector on one end. Swapping individual LEDs out with ones mounted on 10mm boards won't be that easy. Now, if you replaced all of them and reused the connector assembly and wired them by hand, that could be an option.

bbruce12, make sure your problem isn't the drivers themselves, as they were as prone to failure as the LEDs were. I would take a 3v source and apply it to each LED to make 100% sure that they are dead before going to the pains of trying to replace them. If you do find a number of dead LEDs, I wouldn't put too much money or effort into repairing this unit, unless you got a smoking deal on it. If any of the drivers are dead, I would put zero effort into repairing it, and start looking at other, more modern, more powerful, more reliable, and more capable units.

If it is only the LEDs that are at fault, and you find replacements for a good price, there are a few things you can do to help reduce potential problems down the road. First, use an adhesive thermal pad material to give a better thermal bond between the pcb and the heatsink. I say to use a thermal pad (like those made my companies like Berquist) over a thermal paste because of the fact that the pcbs are only fastened at the ends, and the pcb has a tendancy to bow in the middle (this is where the most LED failures occur). If you are really feeling brave, you can use a thermal epoxy like Arctic Alumina, but that's a fairly permanent option. Second, upgrade the fans to something higher flow, and add dust screens. This will help again with overall reliability.

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
Finally found them, hidden away in a cupboard; there are 16 of them spare. And would definitely give a better price than the afore-mentioned sites. K2s + packaging + bubble wrap only came to about 15grams, so shipping shouldn't be much.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, seems like I am on the search for the holy grail. I would like to ask if anyone has any Blue, White, or Green K2 LEDs...or...does anyone know who I could ask or where I could look to possibly find some..?...The manufacturer says that they do not make a direct replacement for them. I am hoping that someone somewhere can help me.
I think I may have some green and possibly some blue around as well. Post back with what you need if you decide to go this way.