Laser flashlights. Hazardous to aircraft.

Dface

Newly Enlightened
The forum did not find discussions.

Very often СNN reported that people indulge in lasers and get to the passenger aircraft. What do you think about whether to ban high-power lasers and what are the laws that may apply to the bullies?

Last edited:

Train_Watchman

Newly Enlightened
As with firearms and a lot of other things, banning an inanimate object only hurts the people who don't do stupid stuff with said object. I think it's better to ban doing stupid stuff with anything, and if someone can't observe those rules, then they aren't allowed to possess a firearm, laser, sharp objects, matches, or whatever. And once they go to jail, they probably won't be allowed to have a laser, anyway.

I don't know if pointing a laser at an aircraft is a federal offense in the U.S., but it should be. At least one moron in this country has "flashed" a police helicopter with a laser pointer, and gotten himself a visit from some of the aircrew's ground-based colleagues. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Various states may have laws about directing a laser pointer at someone, partly because it could cause the other person to think they were being targeted with a laser-equipped firearm. In my state, pointing a laser at a law enforcement officer, or causing injury to anyone by means of a laser, will get you a fine of up to $2,000 and/or up to a year in jail. If it "causes a reasonable person to suffer intimidation or alarm" or even mere annoyance, the penalty can be a $1,000 fine, or up to six months in jail, or both. Upon conviction for such misuse, the defendant is probably going to end up forfeiting the laser, too.

But, as the saying goes, "You can't fix stupid." :shakehead

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the US it is illegal to point lasers at aircraft or flight paths. Obviously illegal to point at a law enforcement officer, and illegal to use it in a distracting manner.

Also, pointers are not to exceed 5mW. portable lasers must have various safety features such as delayed starting, several interlocks (electronic AND optical), and I believe a keyswitch.

Basically, if you have to ask if what you are doing is illegal, it probably is.

Waterman123

Newly Enlightened
The forum did not find discussions.

Very often СNN reported that people indulge in lasers and get to the passenger aircraft. What do you think about whether to ban high-power lasers and what are the laws that may apply to the bullies?

This issue is being taken very seriosuly by the FAA. Just last week we had an "unauthorized laser event" flying into Seattle. We thought we were being helpful by reporting it to the tower once we landed. Within minutes there was a Sheriff Bell 402 chopper hovering on final looking for the source. And when we de-planed there was a police officer waiting for us to make a report. Needless to say it was an extra 20 minutes talking to the cop before we were able to make our way to the hotel. Careful where you shine those lasers :)

dxcom

Newly Enlightened
I have played around with some high powered lasers that are not legal in the united states. Very cool, but not very practical for the average person and frankly history has proven that people won't police themselves especially when these things are so easy for kids to get a hold of. I support the 5mW limit for import into the u.s. and stiff penalties for stupid/dangerous behavior.<br><br>Joseph

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
"Hazardous to aircraft."[?]
Likely not to the aircraft itself unless powerful enough to exceed the power handling capability of certain optical sensors.

susanawalkly

Newly Enlightened
very serious news. I have once seen a video of laser pointer pointing at aircraft. It is really very dangerous. Never abuse it, or you will be put in jail.

Latest posts