New Kobalt 500

Socrates67

Newly Enlightened
Back here on the forums after a long time. I just bought a new Kobalt 500 lumen light from Lowes. It is the single LED version, not the 3 LED, and it takes 3 CR123's, and has a high an low mode. I have no experience with 123's, or a light this bright or this brand. Can someone figure out what the drain time/battery life is?

And I noticed that 123 cells are unbelievably expensive, at least at Lowes, $10 for a pack of two. I've been doing research and heard about the explosion dangers if the cells are not matched. I went to Battery Junction and bought some of their matched triple set Titanium's, is this a good way to go for the future so I don't bankrupt myself on batteries?

By the way I am using this to replace an old Maglite 3C with NiteIze upgrade for work. Big difference, even on the low setting the Kobalt is vastly superior in color, brightness and eveness.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back here on the forums after a long time. I just bought a new Kobalt 500 lumen light from Lowes. It is the single LED version, not the 3 LED, and it takes 3 CR123's, and has a high an low mode. I have no experience with 123's, or a light this bright or this brand. Can someone figure out what the drain time/battery life is?

And I noticed that 123 cells are unbelievably expensive, at least at Lowes, $10 for a pack of two. I've been doing research and heard about the explosion dangers if the cells are not matched. I went to Battery Junction and bought some of their matched triple set Titanium's, is this a good way to go for the future so I don't bankrupt myself on batteries?

By the way I am using this to replace an old Maglite 3C with NiteIze upgrade for work. Big difference, even on the low setting the Kobalt is vastly superior in color, brightness and eveness.

search google for kobalt 500 lumen and it brings you here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Lowes-Kobalt-500-Lumen-3x123-Cree-XM-L-Light

to not bankrupt yourself on batteries

battery junction get a 12 pack of duracells procell cr123
or a pack of titanium innovations cr123

titanium innovations have been tested here by CPF members and are a good buy
and of course duracells are too.

just NEVER buy a cr123 and pay more than 2 bucks for one. ripoff.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
One possible way to save on cells would be to run the light on rechargeables. Usually two 17500 cells will fit in, and supply the proper voltage for, lights that use 3 x cr123. AW is a well-respected brand/dealer on CPF.

lwknight

Enlightened
You might have to bore it a little then 2 17500s should work just fine. I just bored mine to use 18500s and it seems brighter than the 3 cr123s Still plentty of meat left after boring.
BTW: cr123s can be bought for under $1.00 if you search the internet.

What amazes me is that Kobalt don't tell you anything about their products other than the lumen output
and standard info that is required on all lights.
They don't even say what the low power rating is or what voltages are tolerable.
Anyone know more of the good stuff on these lights?

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who want to buy from a brick & mortar store, look for SureFire 123's at Lowes. The Lowes near me has them for about $4 to $5 for a 2 pack. Gander Mountain carried them for awhile and also had a 12 battery box for under $25 but I don't see them any longer at the one near me. Others might have better luck.

LWKNIGHT - did you use the link to another thread in post #2? It has quite a bit of info on the Kobalt 500 lumen, single LED light but no info on various battery types that would be applicable. Or was there something else that someone could find for you?

Last edited:

lwknight

Enlightened
I don't have a way to positively test but, I believe the 500 lumens are
all genuine. The hot spot looks exactly like the tk41 or tk60 except for
bieng about 30% larger at same distance.
At same distance the beam intensity looks the same as tk41 on 300 lumen mode.
Also the same color and ghost ring around.

Still the box amazes me.
Basically it only says " 500 lumens " " If you have a problem, return it for replacement
no questions asked"

Thats about all the info you get.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I grabbed the Kobalt 500 as Lowes had them marked as $25 each, and, well, I seem to be unable to pass by the flashlight section of a store w/o at least LOOKING....

I was impressed with it...I was expecting Chinese Lumens, but they LOOKED like ANSI lumens at least.

Beam Shots ~ 30 yards IIRC:

6839862646_a43c7518dd_z.jpg

XT11 after 1/2 hr straight run time

6839863306_81308532e2_z.jpg

Kobalt 500

6839863548_47e9d7a594_z.jpg

LED Lenser T7, Full Zoom

6839863722_f8090368e3_z.jpg

T7 - Fully flooded/Zoomed Out

:party:

Anyway - It does give some perspective at least.

:D

Last edited:

lwknight

Enlightened
What I would really like to know is who makes Kobalt flashlights.
I think " Kobalt" is just a box name put on someone elses product.
Maybe its custom made just for Lowes?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
What I would really like to know is who makes Kobalt flashlights.
I think " Kobalt" is just a box name put on someone elses product.
Maybe its custom made just for Lowes?

They call ALL their stuff "Kobalt", like Sears has "Kenmore" and "Craftman".

Lowes doesn't make ANYTHING.

:D

Kobalt is currently Danaher Corporation as far as I know, which moved its production to Taiwan a few years back....at least for a lot of products.

IE: That's who makes Lowes line of tools, the same way Home Depot has Husky, Sears has Craftman, etc.

Last edited: