Moral Dilemma? Do I keep the "replacement" or the original?

RBWNY

Enlightened
If you saw my other post in the batteries section, you might be familiar with the issues I was having with the 4sevens Single Bay Charger I got 2 weeks ago. And the fact that it was acting strange when charging 2 Soshine 18650's. (plus a couple of 16340's)

After several emails back & forth to 4sevens, they gave me an RMA... but I was doing some final tests to determine if the problem was isolated, or indeed an overal charger issue. Meanwhile, outside of those "affected" cells, the tests have been positive. To cut to the chase...I just found out today that they've already mailed me a new charger! :huh: They state that I can just refuse it, if I believe the original is working okay. Anyway, so now I'm wondering whether to keep the old, and send the new one back... or vise versa! The easy answer is to keep the new one...but then I need to package up the old and pay the postage.

What would YOU do? -- or have you "been there" before already? :shrug:

ragweed

Enlightened
If they have one on the way just hold off awhile to see how it does first. You can then ship either one back that does not do the job.

RBWNY

Enlightened
If they have one on the way just hold off awhile to see how it does first. You can then ship either one back that does not do the job.

Whoa!! The replacement just arrived!

So your advice, just as I said; the easiest thing is to open the new one and make sure it's ok, then return whichever one I don't want :sigh:. I guess that makes as much sense as anything else. At least I'm happy that their customer service is right on-top of these things!

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found that AW, Redilast, and Callie's Kustom cells are powerful and reliable. I don't buy other brands anymore. I think you'll find the problem is not the charger, but the batteries. Great customer care from 4 Sevens! A+

Last edited:

yifu

Enlightened
I guess it pays to get to the bottom of the problem and to try to fix it yourself before contacting warranty... Saves you the postage fee at the very least, and the time.

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the best thing to do is keep the one you know works. it is already tested.

...much like buying a refurb laptop...it is often more reliable than a new one. almost no chance of DOA

so, what if?: you get the new one, send the old one back...then the new one fails.

based on risk, keep the one already known to work.

RBWNY

Enlightened
I think you'll find the problem is not the charger, but the batteries.

Yes the 2 Soshine's are mystifying me. I've used them for months and they've been fine. I have the Pila charger as well. So after charging them both with the 4sevens, each one terminated at 4.08 with the 4'7s LED "flashing". I inserted each one into the Pila to see if it would "finish" the job...but the Pila immediately concurred that the cells were done! I put them in lights and used them for awhile. After the cell voltage's dropped below 4, I charged them again...but in the Pila this time. BOTH terminated perfectly--around 4.18 I began the cycle again, by using them. Once again...voltage below 4, charged this time, in the 4'7s again... termed w/"flashing LED"-- at 4.09!! :ironic: (a trend is developing I thought)... Again, at this point, the Pila said they were done. Another cycle, another drop. THIS time going through the Pila again. And THIS time...cell #1 termed (properly) at 4.18 ... meanwhile... cell #2 (on the Pila) termed at 4.09!!! So THIS is where I'm at now, as is why I've been confused over the accuracy of the (first) 4'7 charger I received.

I have yet to run cell #2 in the replacement 4'7 SB. --- which if terms the same way again, would definately confirm the cell is "not right". IF that's the case by the way.....................SHOULD I CONTINUE USING IT, OR RECYCLE IT FOREVER :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:

RBWNY

Enlightened
Okay...............

Just charged (trouble cell?) #2 on new charger. Termed at 4.15 (more than last time) -- but again w/flashing LED :thumbsdow. Chargers MUST be okay, so........ what's UP with this cell :(:confused: