Looking for alternatives to Olight S35 / S65 BATON

bon1

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in a bright light with a relatively long runtime for work, I guess that I would appreciate more flow than throw as I'd be mainly working in close quarters where I'd be mostly lighting stuff within 8 meters--yet it'd be interesting if I could see stuff up to a 100 meters.

For this I was thinking that, either, the Olight S35 BATON or the Olight S65 BATON would be suitable for my needs. But I found out about this review complaining about issues in the thread used for the tail cap (apparently, it is difficult to tighten fully) as well as it seemed to point out that the battery carrier would benefit from being sturdier than it is now. Besides none of these two lights has an antiroll capability and they both come without a lanyard or a sheath.

Finally, I must add that I'd preffer to stick with the AA format--anything up to 6AA should be fine.

Any suggestions will be appreciated! :)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ITP A6 PoleStar runs an MCE emitter and is a good alternative.

Fenix models TK40 TK41 TK45 are all good multi AA battery lights and are incredibly sturdy

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
JetBeam PA40 - very bright, powered with 4AA, great built quality, battery indicator - absolutely wonderful light !

Besides lets face it - those Olight lights are among the most ugliest lights I've every seen :laughing: (just an opinion)

bon1

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your suggestions, guys! :)

After searching this forum for all those flashlights, the only one that seems interesting is the JetBeam PA40. But I have a few questions about it:
  • Is the magazine carrier sturdy enough?
  • Does the combination of an aluminum head threaded against a plastic body pose any sort of long term issues? Possibly fast wear on the main polymer body?
  • Is the mode selection going from high brightness down to low brightness instead of the other way around the proper way to do it? I always thought that going from low brightness up to high brightness was the better way to keep your night vision and conserve battery power. Otherwise, is the switch reliable?
  • Could any long time users of this JetBeam P40 light provide feedback on how this light working for them?

joe1512

Enlightened
The A6 Polestar is the old version of the S65 basically. Its a great light, but Id recommend looking for an XM-L emitter. Im pretty sure the A6 is discontinued and wont be using the latest rev bins of the emitters. (each emitter has various versions, each better than the last). Plus the XM-L can scale a lot lower. The MC-E has bright, brighter, very bright as modes.
The S65 will have a true LOW, med, high.

The Fenix TK41 is the standard, using 8xAAs. Expensive though.

Jetbeam will work nicely too. The bummer is the 468 lumen max, compared to 900 for a TK41, and 650ish for the S65, 600 for the A6. But it still should be sufficient.

Here is a video review of it. Hopefully you are faster than the moderator. /sigh. If not, search for the PA40 in youtube. This gives you an idea of how it works.

link removed See red banner at top of page

Last edited by a moderator:

bon1

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your suggestions! :)

The Fenix TK41 looks like the top performer indeed and it is priced right in my budget limit for this type of light.

But I have a few questions for those of you with experience using a Fenix TK41:
  • Do you have any complains about it?
  • Is the battery carrier well thought out?
  • The reflector is smooth and I saw on a Youtube video that it makes a donut. Is Fenix going to offer the same light with an orange peel reflector?
  • Does the Fenix diffuser improve the light output significantly (wide, smooth beam) for working in close quarters?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK41 battery carrier should be great, I know the TK40 and tk45 were very well made.

The TK41 shouldn't have a donut in the beam at a distance of over a few feet. I haven't heard or the light having a donut.
The TK40 only had an odd beam for about 2 feet, after that, Then is was gorgeous.

bon1

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your advice! :)

I read on another thread that Fenix is going to release some new lights named LD30, LD41, and LD50. I do not know how they will compare against the TK41, but I preffer to wait see their specifications before making the final decision. Thus, any input regarding those LDxx lights will certainly be appreacited! :)