• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

How do you use your PD lights?

fyrstormer

Banned
Until recently, I hadn't used my PD lights in a long time. Newer lights with latching switches and more modes (or infinite modes) grabbed my attention, and my PDs only came off the shelf for periodic dusting. Meanwhile, I've been on the lookout for well-built two-mode twisties a-la the Muyshondt Aeon, and not having much luck finding any. (there's the ThruNite Ti, but it's a cheap little thing that isn't nearly as satisfying to use as an Aeon is.)

After a couple recent acquisitions, my internal obsession-meter hit the redzone and all my lights were dug out from their various hidey-holes to be evaluated for selling. I've actually considered selling my PDs, which is something I never thought I would do. Then my computer crashed and I had to dig around inside the case to free a stuck fan. In the process of doing that, I needed a light, and for whatever reason I grabbed my McLux3-T, which is so precious and rare I basically never use it for anything.

That brief usage of my McLux3-T reminded me that my PD lights are well-built two-mode twisties, and a couple bits flipped in my brain. For some reason I'd always thought of my PDs as being two-mode momentary lights with a twisty option, but now I find myself thinking about them as two-mode twisty lights with a momentary option. Given my current preference for two-mode twisties, my PD lights suddenly fit back into my EDC usage a whole lot better.

So I'm curious, how do other people think about (and use) their PD lights: as two-mode twisty lights with a momentary option, or as two-mode momentary-on lights with a twisty option?

Last edited:

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too had this revelation after carrying a PD light over the last few months. I entered in love with Don's McClicky pack based lights.

At first, I remained accustomed to seeking the button...almost trapped using the button.

Then I changed the way I grabbed it and held it, and that immediately made twisting natural.

Instead, I now especially appreciate the idea that this light CANNOT be turned permanently on (while getting both modes) with the button as a feature.

obi

fyrstormer

Banned
In addition to having an instinctive love of buttons and switches (just ask my dad how often he had to adjust his music recording equipment when I was a kid), so much of the enthusiasm about the PD design focused on the cool metal button and movable piston, I guess I never thought of them as primarily twisty lights before.

rda1

Newly Enlightened
I just recently got my first PD light (my first McGizmo) from a well respected member on this list and have been using it some. I like it, I like having both the piston momentary 2-stage switch and the constant on twisty action. Last night, I was installing a new light switch in my daughter's room. I used both methods when performing this task, it was nice to be able set it on a dresser near by to illuminate the electrical box while I did the changeout leaving my hands free. It is a great light and having both methods of activation is great.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted two-mode twisty with momentary option, but in reality I've always used my PDs as two-mode twisties as that's just the easiest way to carry them around most of the time. When I use the momentary function it is only to go between a twisted Lo to a momentary full Hi.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted two-mode twisty with momentary option, but in reality I've always used my PDs as two-mode twisties as that's just the easiest way to carry them around most of the time. When I use the momentary function it is only to go between a twisted Lo to a momentary full Hi.

This post leaves me pondering whether or not this is the only UI that can boast a constant low with momentary high option.

obi

TEEJ

Flashaholic
This post leaves me pondering whether or not this is the only UI that can boast a constant low with momentary high option.

obi

If a 4sevens S12 is in low, and you press the tail cap for momentary it gives momentary high on that press.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got 4 L1 based lights (McGizmo mule head & 3 milkys). LOVE the form factor of the L1, particularly as my two PDs are out getting neutral XM-L transplants and then they will roar back into the rotation. My neutral / warm obsession resulted in me not using my PDs and even swapping out my DLC BB Haiku guts for a neutral upgrade.

Al PD - what a fantastic light. Soon to be Neutral XM-L upgraded, Peu Bezel with Trits & Grey/Blue HAIII (Modamag's exotic coating run 2010??)

1098194023_fjqcu-L.jpg

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted for "other", and I am apparently the first one to do so (!). For me, the PD is most definitely BOTH of the first two options depending on my usage. I think of it (and use it) equally as a two-mode momentary with a twisty option or as a two-mode twisty with a momentary option, because well, it IS both things. Obviously, when using an underhand grip with fingers on the head, it is a two-mode twisty, maybe WITHOUT a momentary option--or only with one if you switch your grip or use your other hand. And, when using an overhand grip with thumb on the piston it is a two-mode momentary, maybe WITHOUT a twisty option unless you change your grip. Right? I primarily use an overhand grip with thumb on the piston, so if I were forced to say which is primary for me, it would be two-mode momentary. But there are a great many times when I twist it on to low and use it constantly, but sometimes push in the piston for momentary high. It's just such a versatile light. So, I went with "other". Cause it was there.

upsidedownviking

Newly Enlightened
My vote went to two mode with twisty option, I only twist when I have to set the light down to free my hands, whenever I find myself walking any distance in the dark I have my pack with larger light or bring along a larger light (18650) as well as my pocket light (16340-18350), so I tend to only need bursts or a minute tops from my pocket light while searching for something indoors or the truck.

One of my PD's have been in my pocket for a while now I really like them but if I know it's going to be dark it becomes my back-up and I use a multi level light with lots of power, runtime and heat sinking.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I voted for "other", and I am apparently the first one to do so (!). For me, the PD is most definitely BOTH of the first two options depending on my usage.
I also voted for "other" for exactly the same reason. Both #1 & #2 are my choice :nana:

How do I use mine?
DAILY!!
+1

The Ti PD-S is one of the few items I can count on, day after day. If it goes over a cliff (hopefully with me not attached to it) I'd find another to replace it. IMO the PD-S is the "original" Winchester Model 70 of flashlights. If that means nothing to you please read up on why Winchester discontinued the Mod 70 & why they've continued to escalate in value ever since 1964.

fyrstormer

Banned
IMO the PD-S is the "original" Winchester Model 70 of flashlights. If that means nothing to you please read up on why Winchester discontinued the Mod 70 & why they've continued to escalate in value ever since 1964.
I read the Wikipedia article and saw the list of changes they made. Interestingly, the article also had this to say:

"Jack O'Connor, long a proponent of the Model 70, wrote of the post-'64 version that '. . .I was informed by Winchester brass that the Model 70 was being redesigned. I told them that I was glad to get the information so I could lay in four or five more before they loused the rifle up. Then I saw the pilot model of 'New Model 70.' At the first glimpse I like to fell into a swoon. The action was simplified, the trigger guard and floor plate made of a flimsy looking one-piece stamping.' Despite this initial reaction, O'Connor grudgingly went on to say, 'Actually the post-1964 Model 70 is not a bad rifle in spite of the fact that rifle aficionados have never taken it to their bosoms the way they did its predecessor. It is a stronger action than the pre-1964. The head of the bolt encloses the head of the case. It has a small, neat hook extractor, which is adequate. With this extractor the cartridge is not as surely controlled as it is with the Mauser-type extractor. However, the new model seldom gives feeding problems.'"

"The new action was severely criticized by riflemen for its lesser amount of control and its supposed unreliability, making the original action even more prized. In reality, many of the changes could be considered improvements, making the action stronger. Any post-'64 Model 70 rifle that is not designated as a 'Classic' is most likely to have the post-'64 action. For normal use, the action, through its design is no less reliable, although the simplified construction is less elegant. This action has been further improved over the years, and is now generally on par with the CRF action. Because the bolt does not actively grip the cartridge until the bolt handle is turned down into the locked position, the post-'64 system is supposedly more vulnerable to jamming or being inadvertently closed on an empty breech (i.e. failing to load a new round) if operated under duress, especially if the rifle is held upside down or on its side. In design terms (enclosed bolt face, plunger ejector, brazed bolt construction) it is fairly similar to the Remington Model 700 which has a worldwide following and is considered to be very reliable. All things considered, in normal situations there is not much to choose between them, apart from personal preference."