What to do with a SF 12ZM ?????

kingfisherII

Newly Enlightened
I bought this light back in the late 90's when i was doing security work. it is an incredible light at 500 lumens but now that i am old it just isnt practical. I am not a collector just a user. Has anyone used an LED on this light? Or just save my pennies and buy the SF Combat Light C3 or whatever it is? Is the 12 ZM collectable?

sorry for the newb questions and thank you for any suggestions.

Rick

SF 12 ZM
SF 6P

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Re: What to do with a SF 12 ZM?????

The 12 ZM is one of the most wanted collectable surefire lights.

If you like to, it could be converted to LED with a suitable P60 drop-in (needs to handle a pretty high voltage depending on your battery wishes, not all will do that) and a new smaller head (the size that is on the 6P).
There's a big variety of heads (called bezels) available both manufactured by surefire and other brands/flashlight makers.
There's also an even bigger variety of drop-ins available.

kingfisherII

Newly Enlightened

Thank you for your reply.Will the switch that is on it work with the LED head? Both my SF's have the same switch although one says 12 ZM Laser Products and the other 6P Laser Products ? I put the bezel from the 6p on the 12 ZM just for fitment and they seem the same After reading a bunch of posts on here it seems the 12ZM is really wasted on me. Is the M3 the only SF comparable to the 12? Brightness wise? I guess what i am looking for is something comparable that doesnt burn thrpugh batteries so dang fast.

Thanks again

Rick

SF 12 ZM
SF 6P Laser Products

Helmut.G

Enlightened

The switch will work with anything, but the newer surefire switches that succeeded it have the capability to be locked out. That means if you unscrew it a bit the light will not activate anymore, preventing accidental activation. There are also click-on switches available.

It might be possible to get an LED insert (called tower) that directly replaces the lamp assembly in the 12ZM, but I don't know much about that. I don't know if there's one available that would work with that exact light.

LED lights can reach brightnesses comparable to the 12ZM nowadays while using significantly less battery power. Surefire offers some.
The old incandescent M3 is not comparable to the 12ZM brightness wise. The M4 is comparable size-wise and the M6 is brightness wise.

kingfisherII

Newly Enlightened

I am thinking maybe I should trade it towards a modern light rather than trying to update this one. I would like to find a 400 lumen Invictus. The newer one is just way to expensive for me to beat up.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, it is collectible. I had one a few years back. IIRC I bought it for around $100 (used) and resold it a year or two later for over $200. In your situation, since you're interested in a user light, not a collectible shelf queen, I'd recommend selling it and putting the proceeds towards a new/newer Surefire.

Howecollc

Enlightened

Sounds like you should sell it for $200 then add $100 to that and get a new M6LT Guardian at one of the select merchants who have them on sale for $299 right now. You'll get double the output and around 90 minutes of runtime at full regulated output.

kingfisherII

Newly Enlightened

I am thinking you are probably right. The Guardian sounds like an awesome light. Hard to imagine a light twice as bright as this 12 ZM but then I am un -enlightened

Rick

Helmut.G

Enlightened

I am thinking you are probably right. The Guardian sounds like an awesome light. Hard to imagine a light twice as bright as this 12 ZM but then I am un -enlightened

Rick
The perceived difference will probably be less.

I'm wondering why this thread has so little answers, I would have expected some guys proposing to trade their used LED surefire or whatever they've got for your 12ZM by now.

kingfisherII

Newly Enlightened

I was thinking the same. I should probably post on the market place as a want to trade. There is a 400 lumen Invictus on the want to sell forum. I tried posting to that thread but i must be to new because my post hasnt shown up.

Rick

Helmut.G

Enlightened

I was thinking the same. I should probably post on the market place as a want to trade. There is a 400 lumen Invictus on the want to sell forum. I tried posting to that thread but i must be to new because my post hasnt shown up.

Rick
A new user's first two posts are only shown after a moderator checked them to prevent misuse of the forums.

kingfisherII

Newly Enlightened

That makes sense although its frustrating. I would like to find a used UB3T or a Guardian I think. One that i can use. No use for a safe queen. I will leave the shelf for my Benchades etc. I have used my 6P for probably10-12 years. The 12 ZM has mostly sat in my shooting bag and been through a dozen sets of batteries.

Rick

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

Post deleted.

Last edited:

kingfisherII

Newly Enlightened

i finally got the 12ZM up on the WTT board and have had several PM's regarding selling it. I have searched CPF for any reference on selling a 12ZM and have had no luck? Am i searching wrong? It's against the rules of CPMarketplace to ask for offers but i want to be fair, to a buyer and to myself.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rick

Kestrel

Flashaholic

This is what I would do if I had a 12ZM:
(since you do mention the possibility of going to an LED light)
  • Put away the turbohead for safekeeping & collectors value - don't sell it or lose it since the SureFire 12's were always paired with a Turbohead
  • Get the body professionally bored for 2x18650 LiIons - IMO this doesn't substantially hurt the collectors value (since 18650's are incredibly popular here) BUT I'm sure some others would disagree on this
  • Buy a Moddoo 3-mode XP-G triple dropin, neutral tint
  • With a pair of AW 18650's, you would get ~2.5 hours of 800 lumen OTF neutral-tinted goodness :)
Oops, wait, we're in the Incan subforum ... ;)

What really makes this particular light special is that unlike the much more common M-series lights with this form-factor, this body is compatible with P60 dropins. Therefore, you have a vast selection of high-output dropins available for the near-impossible-to-get 2x18650 form factor in a SureFire Z-series.

Anyhow, that's what I'd do if I had one ...

i finally got the 12ZM up on the WTT board and have had several PM's regarding selling it. I have searched CPF for any reference on selling a 12ZM and have had no luck? Am i searching wrong? It's against the rules of CPMarketplace to ask for offers but i want to be fair, to a buyer and to myself. Any advice would be appreciated.

Here are the CPF/MP sale thread search returns for "WTS 12ZM":
http://www.google.com/search?q=WTS+12zm&sitesearch=www.cpfmarketplace.com&safe=active

Just keep in mind that any selling prices from those older threads are now out of date - I expect that prices are gradually rising on all of these types of lights.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
This is what I would do if I had a 12ZM:
(since you do mention the possibility of going to an LED light)

• Get the body professionally bored for 2x18650 LiIons - IMO this doesn't substantially hurt the collectors value (since 18650's are incredibly popular here) BUT I'm sure some others would disagree on this....

What really makes this particular light special is that unlike the much more common M-series lights with this form-factor, this body is compatible with P60 dropins. Therefore, you have a vast selection of high-output dropins available for the near-impossible-to-get 2x18650 form factor in a SureFire Z-series.

Anyhow, that's what I'd do if I had one ....

• Respectfully, I would be one of those to disagree :)

I (personally) would not bore this rare vintage SureFire - I bought a Solarforce L2X-Extended that takes 2x18650 cells and works just fine as a P60-compatible host.

Again, speaking only for myself, this light would have significantly more collectors value to me in stock (unbored) condition....

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Respectfully, I would be one of those to disagree :) I (personally) would not bore this rare vintage SureFire - I bought a Solarforce L2X-Extended that takes 2x18650 cells and works just fine as a P60-compatible host. Again, speaking only for myself, this light would have significantly more collectors value to me in stock (unbored) condition....
Archimedes, I fully understand - that's why I boldfaced, capitalized, and underlined my qualifier BUT. :) It's the difference between having this light purely as a collectors item or as a collectible 'user'; Double the runtime (compared to 2x17670) would be attractive in that situation. If I had the choice between buying two different 12ZM 'users', I'd pay more for the professionally bored one. :shrug:

BTW, from EG's SF Mod / Boring services thread, a total of three 12Z's were bored for CPF members.

FWIW, my Z's: 6Z(bored), 9Z(unbored), 7Z(to be bored), Z3(unbored) - I use the 6Z and will definitely use the 7Z. Those plus my near-mint 3P and D3, yup, collector, guilty as charged. :eek:

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Fair enough, opinions differ - and I agree you were quite clear in presenting the possible controversy .... I just felt that someone should speak up as a "devils advocate" - :devil:

EDIT: I use all my lights too, but just run primaries in the vintage stuff - Cheers :)

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

Post deleted.

Last edited:

kingfisherII

Newly Enlightened

you guys are awesome! Thank you all so much for all the info. I have really enjoyed owning this light over the years. A CPF'r put it best "I dont want the responsabilty of owning a collector and being afraid to use it" I guess its time for a new home for this one. And i will find a shiny new toy to carry me through the next 15 years. I hope the new ones last as long.

Rick