Maelstrom S12, is it worth it over the X10?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been looking at these two flashlights, they seem rather similar, but is the SST90 S12 really the better light and worth the extra?

Reviews seem to say it's not such a thrower as the X10, does anyone have any data on distance?

Also some reviews seems to suggest the S12 has an aggressive thermal protection which rapidly reduces output, is this also the case with the X10 or is it more stable in its output?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X10 has the same thermal management system as the S12 but because the X10 uses the XM-L led, it's more efficient so not as much heat is generated and so the thermal management system doesn't have to kick in as often. I never had an X10 but the S12 does pretty well for medium distances. I wouldn't say the S12 is the better light but it does put out overall more lumens, but if you want efficiency and a bit better throw then the X10 is the way to go.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S12 SST-90 is much floodier, with a wider surface area of illumination, thanks to a 9 sq mm die vs 4 sq mm die, for a larger hotspot size, and a brighter lateral spill.
The X10 XM-L has a smaller hotspot size, and a less bright spill; however the hotspot is more intense for greater throw.
These photos were taken by another member on the forum; I forgot who?

S12.jpg

S12 SST-90 wider hotspot size, and brighter lateral spill for more overall lumen output.

X10.jpg

X10 XM-L smaller hotspot, and more intense hotspot, for longer throw.

M3C4XML.jpg

Et M3C4 XM-L larger diameter reflector for smallest hotspot size, most intense hotspot brightness, for greatest throw of the three...

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been looking at these two flashlights, they seem rather similar, but is the SST90 S12 really the better light and worth the extra?

Reviews seem to say it's not such a thrower as the X10, does anyone have any data on distance?

Also some reviews seems to suggest the S12 has an aggressive thermal protection which rapidly reduces output, is this also the case with the X10 or is it more stable in its output?
Hi Drunstick,
If you are looking for med throw with maximum illuminance including spill, the S12 is your canidate. If you are lookng for maximum throw, the X10 is your best canidate. Could you tell us what your intended purpose is? Below is a screen shot showing what my smaples have produced.
GL
Below are a couple of short range photos, I will need to do medium range again. All the comparisons on medium range only show XM-Ls right now.
. .
. . . . Click to Enlarge

ImGeo

Newly Enlightened
personally I got the x10. I already have a xpg quark aa2, which is a medium throw light (and relatively floody) and not that all that bright (~200 lumens). it's good for short range use, and the one I'd probably use more.

I was thinking I'd have the x10 for when I wanted to see something far away, and that wouldn't use it as a primary light. tho I was really not considering it since I didn't need another light, but it was on sale :)

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
ImGeo has a very good point. No matter if you decide on the X10 or the S12, both are on sale right now at various dealers far below what you can get them for thru Four Sevens direct. I will add that the runtime and difference in thermal regulation puts the X10 in the lead for what you described as the light you wish to purchase :shrug:. S12= Wall of Light, X10=Reachout and light something.
GL

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The S12 throws pretty good, not that different than the X10..but the spot of light on the target is a lot bigger when it gets there.

I can see deer 300 yards away with the S12 for example, the bodies are distinct from the grass, etc.

IE: The S12 has a broad beam, but it also throws that fat block of light pretty far due to its sheer horsepower.

The 26650 battery packs a wallop too...lots of go go juice in there.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S12 throws pretty good, not that different than the X10..but the spot of light on the target is a lot bigger when it gets there.

I can see deer 300 yards away with the S12 for example, the bodies are distinct from the grass, etc.

IE: The S12 has a broad beam, but it also throws that fat block of light pretty far due to its sheer horsepower.

The 26650 battery packs a wallop too...lots of go go juice in there.
TJ,
I am assuming that You are refering to the beam angles, the S12's is 11.8 vs. the X10's of 7.2.
Like TJ has said, the S12 will light up just as far, but the hotspot is over a larger area, wider circle, making it appear less bright than the smaller more intense hotspot at the same distance of the X10.
I've got the X10 pictures, but not the S12s, at 100 yards. I had used the S18 for comparison at the time, wish I had done the S12 too.
GL

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you tell us what your intended purpose is?
I want something to replace my current LED MagLites, as my 6D and 3D are my current throw champs. So what I want is something to equal their throw, but more compact and with better spill. Outright throw isn't the aim, but it'd be nice to have something that can light up the hedge on the other side of the field.

My initial thoughts where:

-Klarus XT11
-EagleTac G25C2

Although I have also been looking at the Klarus XT20, but I think the 2 x 18650 make it a bit big to carry about easily or slip into a jacket pocket. I then stumbled across the Maelstrom S12 and X10. They seem similar in size to the G25C2 but packing a tad more punch.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want something to replace my current LED MagLites, as my 6D and 3D are my current throw champs. So what I want is something to equal their throw, but more compact and with better spill. Outright throw isn't the aim, but it'd be nice to have something that can light up the hedge on the other side of the field.

-Klarus XT11
-EagleTac G25C2

Although I have also been looking at the Klarus XT20, but I think the 2 x 18650 make it a bit big to carry about easily or slip into a jacket pocket. I then stumbled across the Maelstrom S12 and X10. They seem similar in size to the G25C2 but packing a tad more punch.

I'll need to do another shoot. I will work on that. Maybe a couple of days to post, But here is the only 100+ shots with X10 & S12. The tree is the target at 185'. End of the fence is 100'.
GL

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that. From those pics they look pretty close with the X10 just picking out the tree.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

-Klarus XT11
-EagleTac G25C2

The Maglite 3D and 6D are pretty good throwers, throwing some 400 meters ANSI FL-1 standards, give or take.

The Et G25C2 with it's small 39.5mm bezel diamerter will only throw 245 meters ANSI FL-1.
The Klarus XT-10 XM-L T6 only throws 161 meters as tested by Selfbuilt.
The XT11 XM-L U2 has a 7% brighter bin, so it will throw a little better.
These 1x18650 powered single XM-L's with small diameter reflectors 30-40mm throw well short of Maglites.

If you want similar throw to the Maglites, but more compact in size, and a moderately wider hotspot and a brighter lateral spill, try the 2x18650 powered single XM-L's with 60+mm reflectors like the Crelant 7G5, Olight M3X, Sunway T40CS, Catapult V3, Eagletac M3C4 XM-L, Olight SR51 XM-L, Sunway V60C, and the hybrid TIR total internal reflection Surefire Invictus UB3T XM-L powered by 6xCR123's.

The Xtar S1 3x18650 Triple XM-L has a huge bezel diameter of 83mm, but will throw even further than the Maglites to 470 meters ANSI, and provide a whole lot more flood; it is more compact, but very wide in bezel diameter.

Else, an Olight SR92 6x18650 Triple XM-L will throw a similar 425 meters with a helluva lot more flood, but it is oversized with a 100mm bezel diameter, and weights some 1.5 kg including batteries...

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I suppose it depends why you want to be able to see the hedge.

If putting a small dot of light on the hedge, to be able to say, yup, I hit the hedge...is all you need to do, there are a lot of options.

If you wanted to know if there was an animal, or person, crouching in/along the hedge...that little dot of light would need to sweep about for a while, and you'd then have to mentally stitch together a picture of what's out there, etc.

With a larger circle of light, you will see more at a time, making looking for something a lot faster/easier...unless its TOO dim to make out the details you need to, and so forth.

So - How far away is the hedge, and how big a circle of light would work for you?

:D

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have been reading, the S12 may likely be cooler tinted than the x10, which usually I prefer. Many X10's seems to get the pukey green ring around the hotspot from pictures I see. The light itself is great, but I was kinda disappointed with t he XML tint in the one I had. I'm just going to get the S12 to replace it even if it's not as bright after 10 mintues or so of constant use, and I prefer the throw of the XML. It just eats at me every time I turned it on and saw green, I guess I'm weird like that but I know I would never be 100% happy. I don't really like cool lights either but I'd rather have cool than a green tint for it's intended purrpose.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the info.

I've been watching some of Going Gears flashlight comparison vids on youtube and despite maybe lacking the ultimate throw, I think the S12 is going to do what I want from it. The SR90/91/92 and TK70 all look highly impressive, but are way way bigger than I want and wouldn't end up using them as much as I should considering the price of them. For ultimate throw I think a Dereelight aspherical is probably the way I'd go.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the info.

I've been watching some of Going Gears flashlight comparison vids on youtube and despite maybe lacking the ultimate throw, I think the S12 is going to do what I want from it. The SR90/91/92 and TK70 all look highly impressive, but are way way bigger than I want and wouldn't end up using them as much as I should considering the price of them. For ultimate throw I think a Dereelight aspherical is probably the way I'd go.
Have you investigated the OMG Lumens Deft EDC? For throw and size it is most impressive.
GL

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Have you investigated the OMG Lumens Deft EDC? For throw and size it is most impressive.
GL

True Dat.

I have the DEFT edc LR, and it THROWS a country mile (Well, maybe 1/2 mi)...but I can't see too much past that in daylight anyway...

Its a small square of light that the DEFT projects a long way off.

Another cool light that's a bargain right now is the S18. It has more throw than the S12, 1,200 lumens, and a very nifty control ring to select the brightness....$167 is what's its on sale for until the last of the 4sevens logo stuff is gone, and only FourSevens stuff is available. I REALLY like the S18...its large for EDC, but no harder to carry than my Jetbeam RRT-3 XML, etc.....and the quality and quantity of light is WORTH IT.

(Just to complicate things for you...)

The only downside, to me initially when considering the S18, is that it takes (Six) RCR123A's, or primaries....rather than 26650's or 18650's which I have tons of...But I have a Xtar WP6 II that can do six batteries at a time, so, in practice, considering how long they last, just wan't a big deal afterall....and I'me very happy...and just started looking at more 123 sized lights. :devil:

Last edited:

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea I kept going to back to the S18 too since it has a real clicky, more modes, and the nice control ring! But I do find myself using lights that are rechargeable way more often, because I can use them guilt free :p