Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freeing Up Your Hands

Default Re: Freeing Up Your Hands

Quote Originally Posted by Gregozedobe View Post
    Seeing Reppans photos of a "collar clip" carry for a light made me think of a variation: Two magnets, one glued securely to the midpoint (center of gravity) of the light, the other goes inside the fabric of the search and clamps the light to the shirt because of its strong attraction to the other (glued-on) magnet. When not in use it just sticks to the other magnet (the glued-on one) for general carry. The magnets would need to be strong enough for the weight of the light, and would add a little bulk and weight.
    This is actually a great idea. I today's digital world, just be careful which pockets you keep the light/magnets.

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    This is actually a great idea. I today's digital world, just be careful which pockets you keep the light/magnets.
    I hear this frequently, but I had no problems carrying hard drive magnets in college. Occasionally it would activate the "I'm in a holster" function on my phone, but that's because of how BlackBerries detect holstering. My cards, student ID, and even cheapie paper magnetic-strip cards took no ill effects. And you can, if you feel lucky, stick hard drive magnets on a laptop or on the hard drive case. It usually won't cause problems, but YMMV.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    OK folks, I guess the ideas are pretty much exhausted. In addition to what I mentioned above, this is what I think I'll be using for hands-free when I'm not carrying a headband for my light:

Collar Clip:

As AlPal mentioned above, I've also been clipping to my shirt collar, under the ear, weight supported by your shoulder. However, this originally only worked well with collared shirts for me, which I rarely wear in warm weather.

Last night I finally came up with a way to use it securely on T-shirts. First clip (bezel down clip) your light to your collar pointing 3 o'clock down your shoulder, then roll the light slightly and tuck the tail under your collar. The weight of your shirt holds it in place quite well.

String Sling:

This I'll use for when I'm running my light for hours straight, like camping - sometimes I just don't like wearing a headlamp on my head. You can also wear it around your neck if your using your hands a lot and want to eliminate the arm shadowing - light under your ear again and you need a collared shirt as a snug cord doesn't feel too nice against bare skin. If anyone is interested in a great slip/grip knot, let me know.

Finally, there's the business card lantern attachment, which I quite like too (full thread linked to above):

Glad that you liked the collar /shirt idea. It may not be working well with your T shirt because I used a smaller light than you have in your picture. I used the Sunwayman V1OR, using a single RCR123 cell. It has a two way clip and is more of an EDC light. I also have the clip so it is pointing towards the tailcap, and then clip it under the collar. But I like your tuck the tail under idea. I will try that myself.

working as a mechanic in a darker shop i'm always tring to use a flashlight and my hands at the same time. i've been using the niteize headband for years, right now im running a sc51f, side click protrudes just enough to not be blocked at all by the loop in the band. when its not on it drops into your pocket nice with a little bit of the headband poking out easy to grab. and the niteize is only a few bucks anyway.