Mac's 14 watt HID Maglight

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 14 watt HID Mag mod I got from Mac in late 2008 and have a few questions. I left Mac a PM but haven't heard back yet and thought someone here might be able to help me.

How long is the typical bulb life on these?

Where can I find replacement bulbs?

Do you recall the runtime on these as well?

What are the lumens OTF? I recall close to 800+ if I'm correct.

Thanks much,
Dan

Patriot

Flashaholic
I have a 14 watt HID Mag mod I got from Mac in late 2008 and have a few questions. I left Mac a PM but haven't heard back yet and thought someone here might be able to help me.How long is the typical bulb life on these?Where can I find replacement bulbs?Do you recall the runtime on these as well?What are the lumens OTF? I recall close to 800+ if I'm correct.Thanks much,Dan

I think it's about 2000 hours at 10W but can't remember the exact specification. I'd have to look at WA's product page. Running at 14W will probably reduce the lifespan by a factor of 25%.

Bright Guy Flashlights sells replacement for the UK Light Cannon for about $60 but you may or may not have to break the outer envelope to work with your current reflector.

Run-time depends on the battery configuration. The 17670 version of the light will run much longer than the 3 x RCR123 version. I can't recall if Max made the 14W model in more than one version though.

I think the 14W lights are right at 800-900 lumens while the 10W lights are 500-600 lumens depending on battery configuration. The 10W light running on 4 x RCR123 is very bright but this is seriously over driving the ballast. I've been doing it for a while with negative effects.......so far.

Last edited:

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Patriot. I'll look further into Welch Allyn's site. I'm trying to sell my light actually and the buyer has questions about it. Hopefully other will chime in as well.

Dan

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks Patriot. I'll look further into Welch Allyn's site. I'm trying to sell my light actually and the buyer has questions about it. Hopefully other will chime in as well.

Dan

Oops, meant to say 25% reduction at 14W.

Run-time with 17670's is about 1 hour.

Original sales thread states "1000+ bulb lumens" or about 850 OTF.

Good luck with your sale Dan! :)

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Solarc bulbs and ballasts are now made by Ushio, you could contact them if you need a new bulb. I have the data sheets if you want them, just PM me your email adress.
At 14W the lamp life is 350 hours and at 9.5W it's 700 hours.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
The set up I have is a Welch Allyn so I'm not sure if that makes any difference. Is it a simple task to replace the bulb or more than just a simple swap?

PM coming.

Thanks,
Dan

Patriot

Flashaholic
The set up I have is a Welch Allyn so I'm not sure if that makes any difference. Is it a simple task to replace the bulb or more than just a simple swap?

PM coming.

Thanks,
Dan

If you have small reflector hole your light was set up to work without the outer bulb envelope. Breaking the outer bulb envelope and installing this bulb is a bit more tricky. If it's a large reflector hole set up that uses both the inner bulb with outer glass envelope, changing the bulb is very easy. I don't know which way Mac made the 14W units but if it's like my picture below it's lacking the outer envelope. If it's different than my picture below it has the outer envelope.

MacHID001.jpg

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
My data sheets are from 2007/2008 when the bulbs and ballasts were still made by WA iirc.