Surfire 2012 IR flashlights

brianna

Enlightened
What do I need to buy so that I can see with the surefire IR flashlights? I am not interested in purchasing fancy night vision equipment. Just something that will let me see with the IR flashlight. Not something cheap, just something that works well with a IR flashlight. I don't need it to do anything else, I just want to use it with a IR flashlight.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do I need to buy so that I can see with the surefire IR flashlights? I am not interested in purchasing fancy night vision equipment. Just something that will let me see with the IR flashlight. Not something cheap, just something that works well with a IR flashlight. I don't need it to do anything else, I just want to use it with a IR flashlight.
A hanydcam in 'night vision' mode may work. I have a handycam with its own IR illuminator, it produces greenish vision and works in apparent darkness.

brianna

Enlightened
I am looking for goggles that do not need power. Or glasses made to see ir flashlights.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for goggles that do not need power. Or glasses made to see ir flashlights.
There is no filter that I know of that will turn IR light into visible light. Think of it this way: Do you have any colored filters (unpowered devices) that will turn yellow photons purple? I thought not.
old hoax of 'see infrared' glasses.
There's a reason the military uses powered devices (starlight scope, etc) to see in the dark.

That said...

If you don't mind using photons that aren't really infrared, but instead on the edge of visible light, you might try using a visible-light filter paired with the IR illuminator. Usually IR illuminators leak into visible light, but I would NOT expect a military one to do so.

Last edited:

brianna

Enlightened
Thank you for that. I know the myths, but thanks now I know why when I googled Ir glasses or goggles I found nothing suitable.

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
i thought the intencifier tubes actualy picked up photons that were released when the IR bombarded the surface and littlery exspanded curtain molecules, when they collapsed they shoot of photons..

lower the lux rating on cam gear the better the IR pick up.. and further. 0.01 on a cheap camera is piddly..0.001 starts to pick up nicely.

but, beware the sends up units, they literaly just slow the shutter speed so the image blurs like hell on anything moving.( infact i suspect a perpatrater could actualy walk past the camera undedected at some sill hi sends up value.