Best (Cheapest) way to drive LEDs from 110VAC?

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
So i have a photo frame i'd like to mod with white LEDs. What would be the cheapest way to drive them from 110VAC? Transformer, mod of LED nightlight or something else?

... or should i just hook up a battery pack and not worry about doing it from power?

Streak

Enlightened
See LED night light below.

How many LED's and what colour do you want to use? Will it be on all of the time or switched on when required?

You may just find it easiest to use a 12 volt AC/DC adaptor with a few LED's with a resistor.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Safety first. The nite lite is no doubt a nice circuit, but beginners should be careful working with ac power.

For what you want I think using a small wall wart would be better and safer.

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
WallWart that puppy.. Even if you build it so it will pass the "VDE Finger Test" someone, somehow is going to get across the mains and at the least do his READY-KILOWATT imitation.

Hopefully your relationship with the pictured one will last longer than bateries.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of people each year underestimate the dangers of electricity and pay the ultimate price

Even if you have a way to reduce down the voltage, you still don't have isolation without a transformer

Find any old WallWart that you are not using, buy one for under a buck at any GoodWill/Etc and cut off the connector

Save ourself 4 diodes, find one marked DC

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of people each year underestimate the dangers of electricity and pay the ultimate price

Even if you have a way to reduce down the voltage, you still don't have isolation without a transformer

Find any old WallWart that you are not using, buy one for under a buck at any GoodWill/Etc and cut off the connector

Save yourself 4 diodes, find one marked DC