Computer Build Help - Gurus Needed!!!

skillet

Enlightened
I need to build six identical computers to run XP..

Specs:
32 Bit
2 Gigs Ram minimum
500 GB HDD
(1) Parallel Port
(1) Serial Port
USB Ports
Video (nothing fancy)
Ethernet
Sound
Etc....

I have fooled with a lot of computers, but just clean installs, spyware removal... stuff such as that.

Builds from scratch are a new arena for me..

Any counsel would be appreciated!
Thanks

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally not. You can get Parallel/Serial PCI cards though.

Any particular reason why you're wanting to use an obsolete, 12 year old OS though?

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
With those specs, I'd shop ebay for a place selling a ready to go set. Maybe get 8 so you have some spare parts.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I think the last time I used a parallel port was in '95 or so; an HP 2x external CD burner..

Be aware that Win XP hasn't had updates in roughly 3 years, so it's definitely not the safest option, plus support will end completely next year. You can get copies of Win 7 for roughly the same price, and I'd wager it would run faster. Your hard drive size is massive for that era of computers, PCs from the XP age had ~80Gb hard drives. 2Gb RAM is a good baseline for Windows in general.

If you're willing to work with the newer OS and install port cards, entry-level Dell desktops are ridiculously cheap nowadays, far less expensive than anything you could piece together.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...You can get copies of Win 7 for roughly the same price, and I'd wager it would run faster...
Perhaps he'd like to use more of his own ram for his own uses.

I'm not an XP booster by any stretch but they may be setup and run pretty safely using DropMyRights on everything that opens dangerous content and a few other tricks. I administer an XP machine for my wife and aside from finding Win distasteful, we actually have very few malware problems.

It is a business machine and in this economy there are very compelling reasons for riding XP into the ground -- especially since unlike the *nixs, new Microsoft systems always require more memory to run than the older ones. Progress?

Last edited:

budynabuick

Enlightened
Great thread! I am looking at a new PC right now but it is a daunting task to say the least as i am limited in PC speak. This thread should come in handy.

Keith

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps he'd like to use more of his own ram for his own uses.

I'm not an XP booster by any stretch but they may be setup and run pretty safely using DropMyRights on everything that opens dangerous content and a few other tricks. I administer an XP machine for my wife and aside from finding Win distasteful, we actually have very few malware problems.

It is a business machine and in this economy there are very compelling reasons for riding XP into the ground -- especially since unlike the *nixs, new Microsoft systems always require more memory to run than the older ones. Progress?

RAM is cheap. I can buy good quality 2GB DDR3 DIMMS for $12 a piece. I'd happily have security and 8GB RAM than an unsupported OS and 2GB RAM.

skillet

Enlightened
I appreciate everyones thoughts and interjections...

The person I am building this for has a very specific need and this is what he wants.. He has about 10 computers on sight now varying OP Sys from XP to Win7. He has some antiquated software that he uses daily that interacts with old hardware with serial and parallel ports. He has tried virtual machines, USB adapters, and about anything else you can think of. He wants what he wants. Flashaholics should understand that. :crackup: I'll look into some refurbished or used computers. Hopefully I can find a set of sextuplets!!!

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand perfectly. It is not complicated at all. He only wants one new machine -- not ten. It seems like a prudent business approach. Build one machine that will work with what you already have instead of throwing out everything he has and starting over.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007531%20600022013&IsNodeId=1&Description=serial%20port%20card&name=PCI%20to%20Parallel%20%2f%20Serial%20Port%20Card&Order=BESTMATCH&SecondSearch=1
You will probably need either one of these or a PCI express version. If he is running older software I would recommend buying a lower end computer setup but not the slowest processor buy up till the speed/cost starts ramping too much and make sure the ram the system can accept will properly run windows 7/8 well in the future. I am running a USB parallel port printer with no problems at all myself but am not sure how the serial port versions operate. When you are dealing with hardware and software that are emulating hardware interrupts you could have issues with poorly written software perhaps that tries to use undocumented ways of accessing things.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Lately I've also seen adapter cables that are parallel to USB (and Serial to USB too, for that matter) but I'm always leery of them...
I paid about $10 for my parallel to usb adapter vs about $20 for a card and having to try and plug a parallel cable into the back of a computer I like the USB adapter better.

skillet

Enlightened
I understand perfectly. It is not complicated at all. He only wants one new machine -- not ten. It seems like a prudent business approach. Build one machine that will work with what you already have instead of throwing out everything he has and starting over.

Yeah, he knows what he wants and actually he wants EIGHT of them... I'm gonna go the refurb route.. I have found a supplier that has just what he needs.

Thanks for all the input!!

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
serial ports are pretty standard. Parallel ports aren't as much. I hear you on the virtualization issues. Some drivers do not play nicely with MS or Oracle virtualization USB drivers :-(