HDS Systems

Thread: Who can program a "Fire flicker" mode?

Default Who can program a "Fire flicker" mode?

Hi,

I would really like to have a fire flicker mode on a flashlight, that, in combination with an orange or red flood light, will give an absolute realistically looking depiction of reflections of a fire. Who can program a truly random effect without discernible patterns or repetition cycles on a flashlight driver?
    Last edited by mandat; 03-07-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Default Re: Who can program a "Fire flicker" mode?

Real wax candles are sold right now with the innards gutted and a flickering led installed so it should be do-able. We've got 6. I have not watched them close enough to really discern a pattern but so far, they still look real/random to me.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Flashaholic*

I've programmed a PICAXE to do exactly that.

You have three options
    -mild flicker gaslight
    -medium flicker candlelight
    -strong flicker woodfire

The brightness variations are subtle and there's no repetition.

It outputs PWM so it can drive virtually any Driver.

The PICAXE is an 8 pin chip needing 2 to 5 volts. The SOIC version is 3mm long.

You have three options
    I didn`t dare asking about this specifically already - but now that it is on the table - this is exactly what I was looking for Mike. I have used two home rgb led controllers in the past of which one, among other effects, could simulate a "burning candle" that BHV mentioned, and with the other one I am able to choose between various flicker levels. Northcountryradio also makes controllers for one to eight channels where you can select speed and intensity independently.
    Mike, I would suggest a fourth option next to your three and call it: hellish inferno. I'd love to see that one.

In regard to the UI, after selecting/clicking the flicker mode, one could then further select various sub modes, of which every one stands for a different flicker level. Exactly like the Zebralight UI.

The question is, could you get that implemented on a flashlight driver?
    Last edited by mandat; 03-07-2012 at 07:13 PM.

The question still stands.

Is there an existing light with the two LEDs that can be re-programmed or does this require a new driver.

I don't think you will get much response as most drivers can drive only one or a string as a single unit. I can't think of any out there with two independent drivers or one driver driving two LEDs as separate units.

Wayne

My excursion to the rgb controllers and their features was just to describe how I got the idea - it might have been misleading - of course, in regard to the flashlight UI, I am only talking about an additional "flicker mode" (and maybe some sub modes) of the one emitter there. I am also thinking about other effects like "broken neon bulb", random lightning flashes, pulse light, ... imagine it with a color-led, in my case i am thinking about a 660nm deep red.

But I really dont know how difficult that is to implement on a driver. That is why I am asking you.

Implementation shouldn't be that hard. If the algorithm is know that would make it easier.

I have implemented a candle flicker recently. While not true random it is pseudo random and the repeat cycle is long enough that I have not seen any repeating.

Wayne

We have LED votive candles in red, green, blue and yellow lighting the Ice Museum at Chena Hot Springs which shouldn't be too hard to acquire. They have two 5mm LED's inside which flicker in a fairly convincing candlelike manner.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

MikeAusC should be able to help with the algorithms - will send him a PM.

Could you also do a P60 drop in or a complete flashlight with such a modded driver, and with a 660nm red led?

yeah a P60 or some sort of lamp would be cool with a fire flicker mode
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Default Who can program a "Fire flicker" mode?

Hi, I am interested too in this, can some one share the programing data? I use PICs I am not sure if Picasa's programing is compatible with Microship pics...

SFMI4UT
    Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600
    Please, respect the planet, dont kill animals...