The Fenix-Store        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Infared (LED) light to see veins in a patients arm...Yes, thats right...

Default Re: Infared (LED) light to see veins in a patients arm...Yes, thats right...

I just checked my red LED Surefire L1 for this purpose. I pushed it against the skin and moved about.

There is a subtle effect I might have not noticed if I was not looking, it can sort of produce a dark outline of a vein around the arm (elbow area, other side of course) and close to the wrist. Not too visible, but definitely there.

Mark down another use for this amazing red L1!!

Default Re: Infared (LED) light to see veins in a patients arm...Yes, thats right...

Quote Originally Posted by KDOG3 View Post
    A 14 gauge.
    I always used 14 gauge during my ten years on dialysis.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpentryHero View Post
    These are definitely men's feet as they aren't reeding at subzero temperatures like my Wife's feet
    Not sure about the above quote, you may want to read it again. Cold feet = Man, "like my wife's Feet"?

Norm

They ADR men's feet because there warm, my Wife's feet are subzero.... It that better???
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

I just re read the quote and what I'd written make no sense at all, I read aren't as are.
    It's 6:30am here, maybe I need a coffee before I reply to any more threads.

Norm

Anyone know what kinda projector these vein finder things use? It looks like a laser projector but it must be so small to fit into that machine.

Also, I suspect that night vision cameras (security cameras) don't have IR filters given that they have IR LED arrays...so why doesn't night time video from a security camera show veins?

I know I'm probably fooling myself, but this thing looks pretty easy to make. If in fact all it takes is no IR filter over a CCD and a long pass filter, I think I can get one running from spare parts + chepo eBay goods.
    Last edited by eatkabab; 01-04-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Unenlightened

Hey OP, I'm in a lab tech program and just finished a phleb rotation at a busy clinic with 400+ successful sticks. Didn't sit for the board (I'm not going for a phleb cert) but FWIW the clinic I did the rotation at would happily hire me, or so they said.

Vein viewers only sound like a good idea if you have no phleb experience. Once you get into actually doing it, you're going to find out that you use your fingers and your knowledge of anatomy to find veins most of the time, this also allows you to assess the condition of the veins (as someone said above, if you can't feel it, you probably shouldn't stick it). And then you're going to realize how clunky and useless those things really are.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by CarpentryHero View Post
    men's feet because there warm, my Wife's feet are
    I almost spilled my coffee over the screen

I do not think that this really makes sense, as - at least where I want to be "injected" - there should be bright enough room lights,
    and with good white light sources the whole "seeing" should be way improved - imho of course, but I am no expert.
    F.e. I am wondering how to put a needle somewhere while holding a light ...

unfortunately I dont have very deep red led just to test that "veins showing up", all the "normal" reds do the same - the same as my UV led(s) are doing --> show nothing at all.
    Both ends of the spectrum are considerably worse than any white light.
    Sure that this really works?
    (unfortunately the lights linked here in this thread do not show a picture while being shined onto skin ...)
    when in doubt: buy both

Digging up an old thread to see if there are any good options now under $100. My wife is a medic and would like a light to help find veins (or arteries - not sure which). Generally not needed, but sometimes helpful. Her EDC can work, but heat is an issue. Been reading the at red LED in a specific range works best. Not really sure.

Any medics or other heath care professionals have a recommendation for something affordable and very portable?

I m not a medic but First-Light USA (American company) has a Tomahawk MC (multi color) with secondary red, green, and red+green which performs really well where the red OR green falls short. Not sure if this is what you are after but I m currently working on some videos of these on YouTube. My channel is sdsteveb and soon may change but not at this time
    Donít Tread On Me

AFAIK Tomahawk MC has nothing to do with medical devices. i'm not sure how green and red together will be helpful, or would do something either green or red wont, sounds like a marketing pitch, nothing more, and i have build over few dozens of multicolored lights.

Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    AFAIK Tomahawk MC has nothing to do with medical devices. i'm not sure how green and red together will be helpful, or would do something either green or red wont, sounds like a marketing pitch, nothing more, and i have build over few dozens of multicolored lights.
    Medical device no but the red/green mix shows blood better as well as other things that the red or green alone do not. Marketing pitch? Could be but I Donít think so. If it were then I d have already sold mine but it is much more useful than my Tomahawk NV
    Donít Tread On Me

Quote Originally Posted by usdiver View Post
    I m not a medic but First-Light USA (American company) has a Tomahawk MC (multi color) with secondary red, green, and red+green which performs really well where the red OR green falls short. Not sure if this is what you are after but I m currently working on some videos of these on YouTube. My channel is sdsteveb and soon may change but not at this time
    Thanks for the reference. Any info on how/why red/green works better? That light is likely more expensive than she'd be willing to buy. I think this is an very occasional use item and she's getting her herself (vs. the company).

There's a product at our hospital called "wee sight" that uses three 5mm red LEDs, you put it under a pediatric patient's hand and turn lights out to help see little veins.

I've found my EDC lights work well too but have to be careful about heat.
    I used a LX2 and L1 for sometime and have a red filter for them but I simply didn't think of using the red for venipuncture.

I think I'll try to find it and give it a try next shift.
    "Tint is within the eye of the beholder." - WoodsWalker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12