Motorcycle LED Strips

Bbucs726

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking into buying a set of LED strips to put on my motorcycle. I have an '03 SV650n and will be looking at something like this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003TXZLYK/ub2nx-20/. I was wondering if anyone has used an LEDglow product and if you think a 6 piece kit will be bright enough. I was also curious about an on/off switch. I understand that the lights are kept on standby when the bike is off, so it continues to drain the battery. If anyone has an on/off switch to recommend or another way to solve the battery draining issue, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wireless controller part has to be powered so that you can click the lights on from a distance. Adding your own on/off switch to the wires powering the control box should eliminate this problem for parking.

Bbucs726

Newly Enlightened
The wireless controller part has to be powered so that you can click the lights on from a distance. Adding your own on/off switch to the wires powering the control box should eliminate this problem for parking.

That's what I was thinking about. Could you link me an on/off switch? This is the first time I've done anything like this and I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for. Thanks.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, if you let me i can give you some advices, that seller is selling those light very expence, try this search in ebay;

Leds modules 5050

Those are brighter, you can install how many you like putting in differents places in the bike, I use those in my bike. Come in differents colors and RGB, the RGB is the best one because you can choice differents colors.

If you want control them via remote control make this search in ebay;

Rgb led remote control RF

those controller had three outputs, one for each color of the modules, if you want just a color you can connect the outputs to the modules in differents place of the bike and make some cool effects.

I will recomend connect this just when the key is on, you can forget turn off a switch and kill the battery...

SFMI4UT

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what I was thinking about. Could you link me an on/off switch? This is the first time I've done anything like this and I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for. Thanks.

To DIY this, you'll have to know soldering. Solder a single-pole single-throw switch to one of the power supply cables for the control box. To store-buy it, you'll need a switch that lives in line with the power supply for this thing. I don't know how it feeds on the bike battery.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use this kind of switch, their had a led that show when the circuit is close, that way your are sure when the circuit is close or open, search this in ebay;

3PCS,RED illuminated Light Red Switch

Their come with differents leds colors, You dont need to solder, just find some male connectors.

SFMI4UT

bryce4887

Newly Enlightened
I have done this to my sv6550s that I had in the past. Since I had aftermarket fairings the rear of the bike was difficult to place the strips anywhere so I simply did none at all in the rear. I bought the led strip from ebay just make sure you order the waterproof ones. These are some I found that are the closest to what I bought ebay Item number:110840661287. If you go this route you are able to cut them every three leds and you will have to know how to solder them back together with wires and insert a switch. I have some pics as well. When it gets closer to summer I will be putting a green set on my zx6r with more around the tail fairing.
IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Abbot

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I think Your idea is cool. You can add a custom LED Glow to you motorcycle.
Just like this.
images

Does this cool?
Just use your imagination, I am sure your motorcycle would be cool than this.

cwszl600

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a 8 pcs multilight set for my motorcycle. im having a problem with it staying on when my bike is running, its hooked to the battery. the place I bought keeps telling me its getting interference but not sure what kind or how to find out. im looking to see if anyone can help. I don't know what to look for or how else to hook up if not battery. any suggestions would be great.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a ... multilight set for my motorcycle. im having a problem with it staying on when my bike is running, its hooked to the battery.

My first guess would be a bad connection that shakes when the bike is on.

the place I bought keeps telling me its getting interference

Interfere-wha? Is there a radio or wireless component?

I don't know what to look for or how else to hook up if not battery.

Do you have a negative lead that grounds to the frame and a positive line that goes to an on/off switch, then a fuse, then to power?