Peak Eiger 10280 QTC question

markdeerhunter

Newly Enlightened
I am very interested in getting a keychain light and this one looks good. I know nothing about recharable litium ion batteries though. I read the 10280 is unprotected. What does that mean? How do I ensure that I don't over discharge the battery? Is there danger of this little light exploding?:eek: Thanks

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Charge as soon as the light doesn't go to full brightness.
2. Check voltage of the cell before charging. If too low, discard it.
3. Have spares so you can discard without guilt of shelving a light during shipping of new batteries.
4. Get a charger with low-enough current. Carrot makes some tiny ones that are neat.

markdeerhunter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I ordered the AAA version, stainless short flat end body from Overready. I also got a smart charger and Eneloops from Battery Junction. I guess I'll get into Lithium rechargables when I am able to score a HDS Rotary.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, I ordered the AAA version, stainless short flat end body from Overready. I also got a smart charger and Eneloops from Battery Junction. I guess I'll get into Lithium rechargables when I am able to score a HDS Rotary.
The Eiger on 10440 is nothing to sneeze at. Actually, any AAA-size light on 10440 is nothing to sneeze at. So far everyone who's played with my Peak Vesuvius has yelled at it in surprise.

markdeerhunter

Newly Enlightened
Are they the same size as AAA and will they perform better?

The Eiger on 10440 is nothing to sneeze at. Actually, any AAA-size light on 10440 is nothing to sneeze at. So far everyone who's played with my Peak Vesuvius has yelled at it in surprise.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are they the same size as AAA and will they perform better?
It's like putting liquid oxygen in your grill. It'll burn WAY hotter, but if the grill isn't built right things will break. Some flashlights are meant to use AAAs (NiMH, alkaline, energizer lithium) as well as Li-Ions, and others "can" but shouldn't due to that overheating if used for too long.

Peak's flashlights tell you if you can use Li-Ions. If you put Li-Ions in a flashlight that can use AAAs, it will be a lot brighter. The Eiger may be around 100 lumens on a NiMH AAA, but will push 250 lumens on a Li-Ion.

markdeerhunter

Newly Enlightened
It's confusing to say the least. Overready's site says use AAA or NiMH (eneloop recommended) but in the description of the CREE XPG it uses says over 200 lumens (100% power with lithium cell and cool led). So I guess they are saying use AAA's?

It's like putting liquid oxygen in your grill. It'll burn WAY hotter, but if the grill isn't built right things will break. Some flashlights are meant to use AAAs (NiMH, alkaline, energizer lithium) as well as Li-Ions, and others "can" but shouldn't due to that overheating if used for too long.

Peak's flashlights tell you if you can use Li-Ions. If you put Li-Ions in a flashlight that can use AAAs, it will be a lot brighter. The Eiger may be around 100 lumens on a NiMH AAA, but will push 250 lumens on a Li-Ion.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I guess they are saying use AAA's?
Using lithiums can overheat the flashlight, but the Peak Eiger will not electrically fail from the extra power. If you turn the Eiger on full blast with a li-ion in it and set it on the table, then the battery, electronics, or LED will self-destruct. If you use it in your hand, it will get uncomfortably warm to hold at full blast. The manufacturer's (admittedly terrible) site says 10440 is okay.

If you take responsibility for the fact that running a lithium-ion cell will overheat the light quickly on full blast, then use a li-ion carefully with crazy output. If not, stick to a NiMH AAA that removes the need to be careful. Note: If you plan to trust non-flashlight people with this light, they WILL turn it on full blast and put it down to work under their car. I had a ROP mod killed that way, "Hey this got really dim after a while but it was still bright enough to finish what I was doing."

markdeerhunter

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I get it. I'm going to play with it for a while with the MiMH AAA's for a while until I get a lithium battery charger and multimeter. Also like my knives, I won't be lending out my flashlights.
:whistle:
Using lithiums can overheat the flashlight, but the Peak Eiger will not electrically fail from the extra power. If you turn the Eiger on full blast with a li-ion in it and set it on the table, then the battery, electronics, or LED will self-destruct. If you use it in your hand, it will get uncomfortably warm to hold at full blast. The manufacturer's (admittedly terrible) site says 10440 is okay.

If you take responsibility for the fact that running a lithium-ion cell will overheat the light quickly on full blast, then use a li-ion carefully with crazy output. If not, stick to a NiMH AAA that removes the need to be careful. Note: If you plan to trust non-flashlight people with this light, they WILL turn it on full blast and put it down to work under their car. I had a ROP mod killed that way, "Hey this got really dim after a while but it was still bright enough to finish what I was doing."