light for my daughter

EdV

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone.

Looking for a light to give to my daughter since she will be moving to her first apartment. I will admit I know nothing about flashlights really. I have always been a simple maglite guy but I wanted to get her something a little different. I prefer (but not a must) the light have a clicker on the end cap and bright and be powered by AA batteries since they are easier for her to replace. Not looking for anything too expensive since I am getting two of them. One for her apartment for when things go bump in the night and one for her car.

So far I have looked into the Fenix e21 from amazon and today I read about the Mini Maglite Pro

The fenix has good reviews but I have not seen any for the maglite pro as of yet. Fenix has a clicker so I like that and seems plenty bright? Any advice you can share would be greatly appreciated. Also if you folks could answer me this. I read on here Alkalines are not ideal for flashlights and more so for the storing in the car. Can you give me advice on what brand of batteries to buy along with the lights? Looking for NON rechargeables if at all possible.

Thanks for your opinions in advance. Been trying to read up on here before posting but alot of the terms used go right over my head. I have never googled so much in my life before tonight.

Regards

Ed

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ed,

The deal with the alkaline batteries is that they can leak acid. I think everyone has had at least one flashlight that has had a battery leak on them at some point. If you don't want to go re-chargeables (as in Sanyo's Eneloop), then the next best option is Energizer's L91 lithium AA battery, or L92 AAA battery. The alkaline batteries are OK as long as you check on them periodically. The other issue with the alkaline is that they don't have as big of a current discharge capability like an Eneloop or a lithium does. So with higher output lights, the alkaline handicaps the capability of the light..........but you can still use them.

These L91 or L92 lithium batteries are not recharcheable but the lithium chemistry is better for long term storage as the expiration dates on new batteries is like 14 years. Also they perform better in cold. So all of the emergency lights in our vehicles have these type of batteries. Now I know they are kind of expensive, but when it comes to a light in the glove box, it just doesn't get used much and so these type of batteries make the most sense.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of choices out there, what's the budget?

Also, be warned that once you play with and try out other lights, you'll be soon shopping for a few yourself. It's a given . lol

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as which light to get, I da know about the E21. I think there are some better options. For 2AA, the Quark X tactical right now can't be beat in my opinion with the deep discounts that are presently going on.

I'm kind of a fan of the single AA lights. Now since its only one battery, you get about half the brightness as a 2AA light.............but you still get 120 lumens plus out of them on high. Keep in mind that your eyes won't distinguish a light that is putting out twice the lumens as "twice as bright". I don't think it's a linear relationship as far as the eyes go. So at half bright it will still seem bright. And on top of that if the power goes out, you don't need to use the highest setting.

Which brings me to another point, the E21 only has two settings and the lowest is 48 lumens and that is too bright for a low mode in my opinion. I'm getting an Xeno EO3 for my birthday and will be able to report back later. I'm going to be doing a run time test review on it along with a new Klarus ST10 and Fenix LD12 that I recently got so keep in touch. I think the Xeno looks attractive because of the colors that the girls love.

Last edited:

EdV

Newly Enlightened
For a bump in the night what do you want the light to do?
Jerry

Just something to check the house out with if she hears something, small light in one hand, big gun in the other.

Hi Ed,

The deal with the alkaline batteries is that they can leak acid. I think everyone has had at least one flashlight that has had a battery leak on them at some point. If you don't want to go re-chargeables (as in Sanyo's Eneloop), then the next best option is Energizer's L91 lithium AA battery, or L92 AAA battery. The alkaline batteries are OK as long as you check on them periodically. The other issue with the alkaline is that they don't have as big of a current discharge capability like an Eneloop or a lithium does. So with higher output lights, the alkaline handicaps the capability of the light..........but you can still use them.

These L91 or L92 lithium batteries are not recharcheable but the lithium chemistry is better for long term storage as the expiration dates on new batteries is like 14 years. Also they perform better in cold. So all of the emergency lights in our vehicles have these type of batteries. Now I know they are kind of expensive, but when it comes to a light in the glove box, it just doesn't get used much and so these type of batteries make the most sense.

Understood. I had that happen to my 3D cell Maglite a few weeks after I bought it. It was a mess. I have not looked too much into rechargeables, maybe I should. I just looked on Amazon and they sell 4 batteries and the charger for 15 bucks. If that is what you are talking about and will work I will go that route... Thank you

Lots of choices out there, what's the budget?

Also, be warned that once you play with and try out other lights, you'll be soon shopping for a few yourself. It's a given . lol

I would like the light to cost under 50 if possible. I will be buying 2 and I think some batteries and a charger now :) The Fenix online from what I see is about 31.00, that price seems okay for me. I agree, after reading here just the last few hours I am starting to gain a little more interest in lights. Odd how that works. Thanks for the help

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on a one-cell light. Get her something she'll have on her person as well as for the car. Won't have to worry about hot car temps that way.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
My boss brought in a Fenix E21 the other day, it's a little bigger than I thought it would be for a 2AA light but it's a very hefty light and looks as if could take a beating. With a nice medium and high setting only it makes for a good simple light, looks well worth the money to me.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi EdV,
"Just something to check the house out with if she hears something, small light in one hand, big gun in the other."

I was a little afraid of that. Having had some training in such things, and a lot of friends in law enforcement, it is not wise for one person to attempt to clear an apt or house. I have lights and a firearm next to my bed, but if I had an idea that someone had broken into the house I would lock the bedroom door and call 911 while keeping my light and gun ready on the door. The bad guy has all the advantages in this situation.
I do not want to hi-jack the thread, and realize you might not agree. I'll leave it at that. Thanks for the response.
Others here know far more than I do about lights, but I keep a 3 C Maglight next to my bed. It can be used as a club as you would expect.

Some sort of noise maker is good also. If the car is close and has a remote and alarm that is very effective I am told. Probably the car will be too far for the remote to reach it.

Regards,
Jerry

Last edited:

bon1

Newly Enlightened
Now, I'm a newbie when it comes to LED lights but here's my two cents...

Until recently, whenever I was thinking of a small, pocketable, light I thought of a 2AA cell light--my thought process was "incandescent", but with this great LED lights we now have you get more power in a single AA LED light than you ever got with your older, incandescent, 2AA light. Also, if you need longer runtimes or more light intensity than a 1AA light can offer, I'd rather consider lights with 3AA or more (possibly, 4AA or 6AA would be the sweet spot) which won't be pocketable, but 2AA lights aren't very pocketable either.

A couple 1AA lights I'd suggest you looking into: the EagleTac D25A Mini and the Fenix LD12, and as for lights that use 3AA or more cells I'm not sure what to advice you--I'm currently looking into the Fenix TK45, but I'm also waiting for the Fenix LD30, LD41, LD50, plus some Zebralight model(s) to be released.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Slightly above your budget, but the Zebralight SC51 is a very versatile light.

It is worth while discussing what your daughter likes and dislikes - she will be the one using these lights.

EdV

Newly Enlightened
@ Jerry - Understood, depending on the situation.
@ think2x - The Fenix does look nice. Might get one for myself.
@bon1 - Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at them.
@Gregozedobe - Thanks. I will look at them now online.
@hiuintahs - I will look into quark. Appreciate the suggestion.

Also will take a look at one cell lights. Seems like a decent option at this time.

Regards

Ed

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
Jet Beam BC10, small yet cranks out 270 lumen from a single CR123 battery and is $39 at bugoutgearusa(dot)com right now. The best light is the light you have with you, this small she would have one. Any jerk that would bother her would have trouble doing so while trying to shield the eyes from 270 lumens.

valueknifelover

Newly Enlightened
I'd say check out the JetBeam BA10 and 20. AA powered and decent price. I have heard good things about the new mini mag except that I think you have to pay attention to where you are pointing it when you turn it on to choose the brightness level. I also love my Quarks from FourSevens. Simply amazing lights.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
Jet Beam BC10, small yet cranks out 270 lumen from a single CR123 battery and is $39 at bugoutgearusa(dot)com right now. The best light is the light you have with you, this small she would have one. Any jerk that would bother her would have trouble doing so while trying to shield the eyes from 270 lumens.

+1 on this. Either the quark 2xAA or fenix ld20.

EdV

Newly Enlightened
Got more to look at. Thanks for all the help folks. It is much appreciated..

Looking at the quark sale is quite confusing but learning as I go..

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
@hiuintahs - I will look into quark. Appreciate the suggestion.

Also will take a look at one cell lights. Seems like a decent option at this time.

Regards

Ed

One thing about the single AA lights is that they are small and easy to put in a pocket or purse. Maybe you get a small twisty (no tail switch) like an EagleTac D25A or Fenix LD15 and then also get a 2AA light. The output on a 2AA light might last longer but only if running on the lower mode. Besides, you can always carry an extra battery for your single AA light.

I only use alkaline batteries for clocks, remote controls, and other things around the house that don't use them up very fast. I love the Eneloop rechargeable s for my camera and flashlights. The best charger for the money (in my opinion) is the LaCrosse BC-700 but its probably more money than you want to spend. Too bad Costco isn't having a sale right now on their Eneloop/charger package. It was on sale last month for $20.99 which included 8 AA batteries, a charger and 4AAA batteries. You don't need to run out and get it right away but keep a mental note on acquiring a small rechargeable setup......so when the right deal comes along you'll know. Don't bother getting regular NiMH rechargeable batteries either. Make sure to get Eneloops......I mean they are that much better!! Meanwhile you can use the alkalines, you just won't get as good of performance, but they still will work.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the quark sale is quite confusing but learning as I go..

GoingGear has the Quark X 2AA tactical for $45.95. There is a 10% coupon (spring10) that was emailed to me and they say it's OK to share with everyone. Now if you can figure out how to spend at least $50 you will get free shipping.........or do what I did and buy 2 lights.

I wouldn't bother with the high CRI or neutral Quarks that are on sale at the actual 4Sevens web site at this time. That's more for the polished flashaholic that is particular on color tint..........besides they are slightly more money and they are about 7% less output.

I think the Quark X 2AA is one of the better deals out of the 4sevens lights right now. And I think you should get the tactical version rather than the non-tactical or regular version simply because it will be more simple to use. (that is once you get it programmed). But it can always be reprogrammed later to different outputs if so desire.

Just more suggestions for whatever they're worth.

edit: GG has 9 left as of right now. I've noticed that it has been out of stock just a little while ago and they seem to be getting restocked periodically. I understand that if you can put it in the cart, then it can be back-ordered. I can't help but wonder how well 4Sevens lights are going to sell once they clear all this inventory because in my opinion, these discounts are pulling demand forward. Once everything returns to new retail price (with just a logo change) how well will sales do?

Last edited: