Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 3
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Jetbeam RRT-01

Flashaholic

Default Re: Jetbeam RRT-01

Can anyone confirm that the tailstanding is a bit wobbly because of the length of the pole?
    L10 nichia 3mode : Jetbeam rrt-01 : 2x ZLh501w : IncenDio-v3 : Jet-III-M-ww : Parasitic drain ones: HDS high cri : Nitecore D10 nichia ramping.

Quote Originally Posted by e1sbaer View Post
    Can anyone confirm that the tailstanding is a bit wobbly because of the length of the pole?
    Yes. the post at the end sticks out maybe 1/4 of 1 mm. It also isn't helped by the way the body flares inward at the back so that the part of the body supporting any tailstand isn't at the very edge of the light.

The light still tailstands easily on any flat hard surface. It tailstands better than a Thrunite 1C with its rubber button, but it doesn't tailstand as well as lights with completely flat backs such as the Zebralight SC80.
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 04-10-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Just fyi...Jetbeam is coming out with a Ti version of the RRT-01. Someone else just posted a thread about it.
    My dog ate my flashlight...

Quote Originally Posted by HIDblue View Post
    Just fyi...Jetbeam is coming out with a Ti version of the RRT-01. Someone else just posted a thread about it.

Oh nooooooo, I'm gonna be
    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

Quote Originally Posted by HIDblue View Post
    *bouncebouncebouce* Where! Tell me where!

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it on the JB website. THEY LISTENED THEY LISTENED THEY LISTENED YAY!!!

Flashaholic*

I was keen for this light, but questionable tailstanding ability is a let down for me...
    A blog on small pocket tools, keychain gadgets and more!

http://keychainpockets.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hazna View Post
    I was keen for this light, but questionable tailstanding ability is a let down for me...
    I obtained an RRT-01 a few days ago. I am very impressed with its fit, finish and function. It is a superb light. I find that there is no flaw in its tailstanding ability. The protrusion of the key ring attachment post is very slight and does not compromise tailstanding. You have every reason to continue being keen for this light!

Another observation about this light is that the control ring has a "grittier" feel than the control ring on the JetBeam RRT-0. The control ring on the RRT-01 has a feel that is very similar to the feel of the control ring on the Nitecore IFE1, but without the strobe function. The grittier feel of the control ring on the RRT-01 is not better or worse than the feel of the control ring on the RRT-0, it's just different. Because the RRT-01 does not have a clicky switch at the end to turn it off like the RRT-0 has, I think I prefer its grittier feel because it seems less likely to be activated by accident while in your pocket, etc.
    Last edited by Lighteous; 04-11-2012 at 06:54 AM.

I returned my SWM V10R Ti+ to purchase a Jetbeam RRT-01. Didn't like a number of things about the Ti+. I suspect from what many have written here & my experience with Jetbeam that I will be happier.
    I'm a Lumenaut, on a bold quest of discovery. To find the smallest, toughest, eyeball searing-est torch that modern science can create!

Enlightened

I received my RRT-01 two days ago and I'm kind of surprised that this light hasn't gotten more attention. I guess the release of the titanium version and a couple of similar lights from SWM have limited the discussion here.

I've bought just about every light made over the past five years including many of the custom titanium lights and I've been carrying an HDS Rotary all winter. With that said I have to say that the RRT-01 is probably the closest thing to my idea of a perfect edc light that I've ever seen.

I wanted something smaller and lighter than my rotary for warm weather edc and really just took a chance on this light. I decided I didn't want a tail switch because I really like the simplicity of how my old Titan T1A operates. I was worried about the smooth reflector but figured Jetbeam would probably offer a op or lop reflector as an option sooner or later.

Now that I have it in my hot little hands all I can say is WOW! I thought the 500 lumens would be fun and it is (more on that later) but the low is probably an even more impressive feature. The RRT-01 doesn't just go lower then the T1A by a level or two. I goes levels...no make that waves...no make that eschelons lower than the T1A. It goes to the point of not being sure whether its even on or not in a dark room with fully dark adapted eyesight. Fortunately there is a detent at both the off and max positions.

As to the 500 lumens and the smooth reflector I don't find the ringiness so noticable as to be a problem when using the light indoors. Once I go outdoors after dark and turn the light on I am not greeted by the short throwing wall of light I normally get from a floody flashlight. Instead there is a rather significant amount of throw combined with a tremendous amount of peripheral illumination. Its kind of like carrying a portable, aimable, streetlight in your pocket!

Additionally, it takes only a single twist of the thumb and forefinger to turn this light from off to max brightness. I always preset the ring on my rotary to a specific level before I put it in my pocket. When I go to use it I often find that it has moved a little bit from my preset spot or I just need a little bit more or a little bit less light than where I have it set. It takes no more time to twist the ring on the RRT-01 to my desired brightness than it does to turn on my rotary. In fact, it takes less time if my rotary then needs to have the brightness tweaked a little.

Finally, the ability to use AW IMR 18350 cells is just the cherry on top of the sundae.

Do I feel there are any cons? I think the pocket clip is too thin and it looks like it might rub against the adjusting ring if I actually installed it. I don't like to use pocket clips on a light this small when I have the option of using a P7 suspension clip. I honestly haven't given the clip a fair shake but it feels a little flimsy. The included screws for the pocket clip make for an adequate anti-roll feature if you're like me and don't want to use the clip. Also, with the lanyard post centered the way it is almost any split ring you may try will inhibit tail standing. They are either too big to lay inside the circle or they are too small to fit through the lanyard post. I had to fabricate my own ring to be able to use this feature and still have tail standing ability.

I plan to go back to my rotary next winter because its just such a sturdy, reliable, versatile, workhorse of a light but with my wardrobe lightening up for summer the RRT-01 will be my edc.

Quote Originally Posted by rhpdchief View Post
    I received my RRT-01 two days ago and I'm kind of surprised that this light hasn't gotten more attention. I guess the release of the titanium version and a couple of similar lights from SWM have limited the discussion here.

I've bought just about every light made over the past five years including many of the custom titanium lights and I've been carrying an HDS Rotary all winter. With that said I have to say that the RRT-01 is probably the closest thing to my idea of a perfect edc light that I've ever seen.

I wanted something smaller and lighter than my rotary for warm weather edc and really just took a chance on this light. I decided I didn't want a tail switch because I really like the simplicity of how my old Titan T1A operates. I was worried about the smooth reflector but figured Jetbeam would probably offer a op or lop reflector as an option sooner or later.

Now that I have it in my hot little hands all I can say is WOW! I thought the 500 lumens would be fun and it is (more on that later) but the low is probably an even more impressive feature. The RRT-01 doesn't just go lower then the T1A by a level or two. I goes levels...no make that waves...no make that eschelons lower than the T1A. It goes to the point of not being sure whether its even on or not in a dark room with fully dark adapted eyesight. Fortunately there is a detent at both the off and max positions.

As to the 500 lumens and the smooth reflector I don't find the ringiness so noticable as to be a problem when using the light indoors. Once I go outdoors after dark and turn the light on I am not greeted by the short throwing wall of light I normally get from a floody flashlight. Instead there is a rather significant amount of throw combined with a tremendous amount of peripheral illumination. Its kind of like carrying a portable, aimable, streetlight in your pocket!

Additionally, it takes only a single twist of the thumb and forefinger to turn this light from off to max brightness. I always preset the ring on my rotary to a specific level before I put it in my pocket. When I go to use it I often find that it has moved a little bit from my preset spot or I just need a little bit more or a little bit less light than where I have it set. It takes no more time to twist the ring on the RRT-01 to my desired brightness than it does to turn on my rotary. In fact, it takes less time if my rotary then needs to have the brightness tweaked a little.

Finally, the ability to use AW IMR 18350 cells is just the cherry on top of the sundae.
    Great review - short and readable, but addressing everything that needs to be addressed and I can't wait for mine to show up!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Do I feel there are any cons? I think the pocket clip is too thin and it looks like it might rub against the adjusting ring if I actually installed it. I don't like to use pocket clips on a light this small when I have the option of using a P7 suspension clip. I honestly haven't given the clip a fair shake but it feels a little flimsy. The included screws for the pocket clip make for an adequate anti-roll feature if you're like me and don't want to use the clip. Also, with the lanyard post centered the way it is almost any split ring you may try will inhibit tail standing. They are either too big to lay inside the circle or they are too small to fit through the lanyard post. I had to fabricate my own ring to be able to use this feature and still have tail standing ability.

I plan to go back to my rotary next winter because its just such a sturdy, reliable, versatile, workhorse of a light but with my wardrobe lightening up for summer the RRT-01 will be my edc.
    Good review.
    In summer, I like to use something compact, short and thin, with straight sides, and floody too, like an RRT-01, esp when wearing tight jeans.
    In winter, with big coat pockets, I use a floody lazy hand shake grip SC600 with 750 lumens; I don't notice the big 30mm bezel diameter as much in winter coat pockets.

I'm still a bit too nervous about the SMO reflector, and reluctant to bite the bullet.
    I'm sure Jb will come out with OP reflector, as they have done so in the rest of their range.
    I suspect OP will diffuse the beam more, for a less bright hotspot, but more importantly for me, a brighter spill.

I use a separate flashlight altogether, with an XP-G R5/S2 emitter for throw.
    A HDS Rotary 200 is one of the top choices in this particular compact throw category.

Theoretically, wouldn't it be great if they could come out with an RRT-01 that could both flood the way it presently does with a shallow reflector, yet throw a whopping 167 meters like the Jb BC10 XP-G R5; two in one is a long long way away...
    Last edited by peterharvey73; 04-14-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Very nice summary.

Do I feel there are any cons? I think the pocket clip is too thin and it looks like it might rub against the adjusting ring if I actually installed it. I don't like to use pocket clips on a light this small when I have the option of using a P7 suspension clip. I honestly haven't given the clip a fair shake but it feels a little flimsy.
    Give the clip a try. It does not rub against the ring -- it rests on the smooth area just below the ring -- and it's surprisingly robust.
    Carpe noctem

Ugh I can't device between this or the V11R.
    RRT01 has longer battery life on CR123s, but the V11R can use AAs too. I don't want to be buying tons of CR123s and I bet RCR123 battery life is pretty bad even on medium power since the capacity is so low. Can't even decide which interface I like better.
    Someone help me decide ;\

edit: could someone with this light that uses RCR123 say how much less the battery life is?
    I also heard 18350's will work... so couldn't I get a 1200mah 18350 to use in this??
    Last edited by ignign0kt; 04-15-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ignign0kt View Post
    RRT01 has longer battery life on CR123s, but the V11R can use AAs too. I don't want to be buying tons of CR123s and I bet RCR123 battery life is pretty bad even on medium power since the capacity is so low. Can't even decide which interface I like better.
    If you need a clicky switch then there's no choice other than the V11R - if you need a super low level, not many choices on the market at all, one of which is the RRT-01.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Flashaholic

I decided on the rrt01 because of V11R's faulty switch.
    If SWM brings out a version that works properly, I might get that one as well. As for now I like the rrt-01 better.
    L10 nichia 3mode : Jetbeam rrt-01 : 2x ZLh501w : IncenDio-v3 : Jet-III-M-ww : Parasitic drain ones: HDS high cri : Nitecore D10 nichia ramping.

Quote Originally Posted by e1sbaer View Post
    I decided on the rrt01 because of V11R's faulty switch.
    If SWM brings out a version that works properly, I might get that one as well. As for now I like the rrt-01 better.
    +1

Also the reviews of people that have the RRT 01 is predominantly positive. Why 123's why not 18350's, go green & recharge.
    I'm a Lumenaut, on a bold quest of discovery. To find the smallest, toughest, eyeball searing-est torch that modern science can create!

The switch on the V11R is vaulty? How so?

The switch on the V11R is vaulty? How so?
    Oops! A moment of dislexia, sorta. I was thinking I was on the V10R Ti+ thread. That one has switch issues.

Flashaholic*

The V11R has the same switch issues as the V10R Ti+.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Tab View Post
    The V11R has the same switch issues as the V10R Ti+.
    lol what issues?

V10R Ti+ tail switch is gritty, rough, scrapes and catches so much that sometimes it does not engage and pops back off. People are posting about how they have reworked their switches or are trying to fix them. Myself and others have returned our V10R Ti+ to purchase the RRT 01.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyhazzard View Post
    V10R Ti+ tail switch is gritty, rough, scrapes and catches so much that sometimes it does not engage and pops back off. People are posting about how they have reworked their switches or are trying to fix them. Myself and others have returned our V10R Ti+ to purchase the RRT 01.
    Ah I see.. that's too bad ;\
    I'm going to try to see if I can get BatteryJunction to cancel my order before they ship it tomorrow. Can't believe you can't cancel orders online

Quote Originally Posted by scottyhazzard View Post

Same here. Returned mine: awful switch, crummy clip, bad screws. And too much sloppy machining. Very, very disappointing.
    ** EagleTac D25C, D25LC2, & G25C2 Mk. II ** JETBeam Element E3S, Jet-III Pro ST-BVC, Jet-III Military, RRT-01, & RRT-2 Raptor ** Olight Titanium Infinitum #62 (Polished) ** Sunwayman V10R Ti, V20C, & V25C**

The clip is the same as on my TC-R2, and I have been using my TC-R2 daily for over a year. The clip is plenty strong -- it just feels flimsy because it's flexible, one of the inherent properties of titanium.

I hadn't planned to use the keyring attachment on my TC-R1 when it arrives, but it's good to know it's not practical to use it with a normal split-ring. Maybe a D-ring would fit better?

Cool I ordered this instead of the V11R
    I'm not sure which battery to get though. Is this safe to use in it? http://www.batteryjunction.com/ultrafire-18350.html
    This looks even better http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ULTRAFIRE-...032#vi-content
    And can 1 battery be charged in these charger or do they need at least 2?
    Last edited by ignign0kt; 04-16-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Got my hands on my new RRT-01 today. A stunner, in every way; it looks better than the pictures on the JB site and others. Outstanding workmanship and a well-designed light. I'm ready to buy a second when they have an OP reflector. A warm LED would be nice, too. But I'm totally satisfied with it.

No one has mentioned the lanyard. It's the nicest OEM lanyard I've ever seen. Thin section that threads through the tail stud on the light, with a wrist section is as thick as paracord, made of what feels like lycra-wrapped neoprene. There's a figure-8 sliding choke. I'd get more of these if they sold them separately.

Another nice touch is that the clip & screws ship disassembled, so there are no marks on the light if you don't want to use the clip. I mounted mine using a touch of blue loctite on the threads (thread the screws into the light without the clip first, and remove them, to chase the threads).

The lens and reflector is as dust-free and clean as I've ever seen, which is a very nice touch.
    Last edited by JML; 04-17-2012 at 06:37 AM.
    ** EagleTac D25C, D25LC2, & G25C2 Mk. II ** JETBeam Element E3S, Jet-III Pro ST-BVC, Jet-III Military, RRT-01, & RRT-2 Raptor ** Olight Titanium Infinitum #62 (Polished) ** Sunwayman V10R Ti, V20C, & V25C**

Cool I ordered this instead of the V11R
    I'm not sure which battery to get though. Is this safe to use in it? http://www.batteryjunction.com/ultrafire-18350.html
    This looks even better http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ULTRAFIRE-...032#vi-content
    And can 1 battery be charged in these charger or do they need at least 2?
    As long as the batteries have low-voltage cutoff circuits built in, or use a non-explosive chemistry like LiMN or LiFePO4, there should be no problem. Unprotected LiCoO are the only cells you really need to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by JML View Post
    Got my hands on my new RRT-01 today. A stunner, in every way; it looks better than the pictures on the JB site and others. Gorgeous workmanship for a well-designed light. I'm ready to buy a second when they have an OP reflector. A warm LED would be nice, too. But I'm totally satisfied with it.
    Someone installed a McR20 reflector in their RRT-01. It required some sanding though. Maybe a McR18 would work better? I dunno. In any event, there are options if you're the DIY type.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    As long as the batteries have low-voltage cutoff circuits built in, or use a non-explosive chemistry like LiMN or LiFePO4, there should be no problem. Unprotected LiCoO are the only cells you really need to avoid.
    err... so I shouldn't use the Ultrafire 1200mah ones that I linked?
    Better cancel my order lol

Let's say I want protected cells, which are the suggested batteries that have the highest capacity?
    Last edited by ignign0kt; 04-16-2012 at 10:14 PM.

For those of us who are looking for an OP reflector for our RRT-01's: let's not expect a great improvement in the beam quality. I have compared the RRT-01 with Sunwayman V10R Ti2 which has practically the same LED but with a LOP reflector and the rings are there, a bit less evident but still there.

Besides in the real world this ringy beam is IMO something you can live with considering the staggering output of this tiny light.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast