Malkoff
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Nitecore Explorer Series (EC1, EC2, EA1, EA2)

Default Re: Nitecore Explorer Series (EC1, EC2, EA1, EA2)

Having heard of red LED runtime and (possible) waterproofing bugs, I'm waiting for an EC2 v.2 to spend my hard-earned cash on...

Any Sysmax/NC folks reading this thread?

Cheers

EC2 and EA2 don't have any runtime or heat issues.

Flashaholic*

I concur, I think they ironed out the bugs on the EC2 as it took a few more months to come out after the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom23 View Post

hi,ive had EC2 for 4 weeks no problems brilliant light...........then decided to dunk it in a glass of water for less than 10 secs was going to be longer but the air bubbles that rose up got me worried,and rightly so water in lens not much it still worked, left it to dry overnight, still condensation in it put battery in and no sign of life apart from occasional flicke,r vendor going to replace......emailed nitecore no reply...........

Quote Originally Posted by phantom23 View Post
    True so far - my bad. Still don't like the idea of a press-fit bezel ring and a sticker switch cover on an IPX8 rated light, though.

Cheers

Explorer Series do not have the design risk of water leaking. The whole control panel is potted with waterproof glue and sealed, there is no gap between the waterproof panel and the battery tube. So the products would not have waterproofing bugs. Thank you for questioning.
    Last edited by Sysmax Ind.; 08-21-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Flashaholic*

Trying to understand this.... So I'm assuming then by this statement then if you were to remove the sticker it would still be waterproof?
    Not that many had water issues inside their bezel, but some have - how and why if there is no waterproofing bugs? Or was it just poor QC on a random few.

Quote Originally Posted by NiteShift View Post
    I commented about this in Selfbuilt's review thread. It does seem like the weakest point for water entry. However, Bigmac's and Selfbuilt's submersion tests indicated no water entry into the switch. It's hard to say how long-term water/moister would effect the adhesive on the switch, but since no tests have been done I think it's a little unfair of you to say decisively that it would be an issue. Also I doubt anyone has taken the sticker off and examined the switch, maybe it's waterproof under the sticker? Since we don't know I think we shouldn't make any firm conclusions.

I had to send my EA1 back due to issues, so not a very happy experience for me with these lights - but I still praise Nitecore for their innovation. Also their customer service is very good so if you do encounter any issues you can at least rest assured that it will be taken care of.
    I've been around long enough to know that waterproof glue will not just cut it. Anyway, if Sysmax says its IPX8 rated, so be it. Sysmax has great customer support, I know this personally. I own a lot of Jetbeam products.

Spoke to some vendors, even they agree that the switch material does not seem as durable as the rubber-made ones.

I have no issues with the features and design of this new light other than the two I already mentioned.

To each his own, I guess, you can either love the light or hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sysmax Ind. View Post
    Explorer Series do not have the design risk of water leaking. The whole control panel is potted with waterproof glue and sealed, there is no gap between the waterproof panel and the battery tube. So the products would not have waterproofing bugs. Thank you for questioning.
    Does this mean there's a waterproofing layer underneath the control panel? So, as stated by Glenn, even without the control panel, the light is still waterproof? Coz if this is the case, then that changes everything on the waterproof issues of the light.

I actually love the interface of your new light, runtimes are fantastic. Maybe it could have been made with dual rubber covered switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Sysmax Ind. View Post
    Thank you for answering. In my post I was referring to few reports of water ingress and condensation which were posted on this forum. Flashlights in those cases were submerged only to the length of flashlight itself or less. Explorer series comes with a standard Sysmax warranty and I'm buying directly from a country distributor, so he'll be able to help in case of any issues anyway.

Now that you have entered the discussion in this thread, I'd like to ask if it's possible to introduce neutral white XP-G or new, more efficient XP-G2 emitters in EA/EC series at some point, since these lights are (I assume) intended for outdoor use?

Cheers

Tam

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    Not that many had water issues inside their bezel, but some have - how and why if there is no waterproofing bugs? Or was it just poor QC on a random few.
    The water inside the bezel is because on some samples the bezel ring (being press fit) hasn't been completely flush. Some people in this thread have commented about having to press it in so that it's seated properly. I guess a few like this have slipped through QC.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill1109 View Post
    Maybe it could have been made with dual rubber covered switches.
    I think the prototypes were - it's hard to tell from the pic, but they do look rubber.

If they are indeed waterproof under the switch cover then it doesn't really matter which buttons are used, just down to preference.

From what Sysmax is saying though it sounds like no water can get behind the switches (control panel) So the worst the can happen is your switch cover sticker comes unstuck - which I guess is why you get a spare one

I have the Ea1 on order from Battery Junction, any idea which protected 14500's will fit? I'm afraid I'm not gonna be impressed with the output on aa's, because my edc is a Liteflux Lf2x with a 10440, which is impressive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The water inside the bezel is because on some samples the bezel ring (being press fit) hasn't been completely flush. Some people in this thread have commented about having to press it in so that it's seated properly. I guess a few like this have slipped through QC.

I think the prototypes were - it's hard to tell from the pic, but they do look rubber.

If they are indeed waterproof under the switch cover then it doesn't really matter which buttons are used, just down to preference.

From what Sysmax is saying though it sounds like no water can get behind the switches (control panel) So the worst the can happen is your switch cover sticker comes unstuck - which I guess is why you get a spare one
    Gee, it does look like its rubber in these prototypes. Can sysmax confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by hurld View Post
    I have the Ea1 on order from Battery Junction, any idea which protected 14500's will fit? I'm afraid I'm not gonna be impressed with the output on aa's, because my edc is a Liteflux Lf2x with a 10440, which is impressive.

This was how I was planning to roll with a EA1 with 14500 cell, but the runtime on the EC2 was too attactive to pass up. Also, it seems the EC2 is brighter than the EA1 despite both using cells with similar voltages. (Would have been nice to have big EC2 output in the size of the EA1 would make a good pocket rocket!

I guess the PA10's still the king with 650 lumens from a single 14500 format. (too bad you lose the modes though)

My EA1 had no problem with 14500's - I was using the AW brand. Width shouldn't be a problem since on my sample there was still some space between the battery and the tube. Length however may be different - the trustfire brand of 14500's are noticeably longer than most, so keep this in mind.

I only had my EA1 a short time :-( but the little I used it I was impressed with the output from just an Eneloop. The throw on these are very good.

My EA1 had no problem with 14500's - I was using the AW brand. Width shouldn't be a problem since on my sample there was still some space between the battery and the tube. Length however may be different - the trustfire brand of 14500's are noticeably longer than most, so keep this in mind.

I only had my EA1 a short time :-( but the little I used it I was impressed with the output from just an Eneloop. The throw on these are very good.
    That's the cool thing about this light. Small yet throwy. I've been looking for something this small and throwy.

So i got my Ea1 today put a battery in it and played with it long enough to figure out the different modes, then put it in its holster on my side and went back to work. First time i needed a light during the day i reached in my pocket for my liteflux lf2x out of habit, then remembered the new nitecore. Pulled it out of the holster and dropped it from about 4 ft on concrete Got two very small dents out of the deal, but the light still works great. What a dumb azz ! Oh well it's gonna get beat it's my new edc.
    What brand 14500's do you mean when you say aw brand? And are they protected? Thanks

So i got my Ea1 today put a battery in it and played with it long enough to figure out the different modes, then put it in its holster on my side and went back to work. First time i needed a light during the day i reached in my pocket for my liteflux lf2x out of habit, then remembered the new nitecore. Pulled it out of the holster and dropped it from about 4 ft on concrete Got two very small dents out of the deal, but the light still works great. What a dumb azz ! Oh well it's gonna get beat it's my new edc.
    What brand 14500's do you mean when you say aw brand? And are they protected? Thanks

AW 14500's are protected. Dropping's fine, try not to get the light wet! hehee

Flashaholic*

yes but when someone posted those photos of the prototypes nitecore said where did you get those photos? and no they are not our lights..... Hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    yes but when someone posted those photos of the prototypes nitecore said where did you get those photos? and no they are not our lights..... Hmmmm.
    That's strange, you can clearly see nitecore on the sides. hehehe...

They definitely insist that the waterproof glue is enough to keep the water out of the head. For all we know it might be double-sided tape. hehehe. Anyways, i will bite the bullet and get the EC2 (because i just love the interface of this light!) I will just remember not to get it wet nor dunk it in water when doing flashlight demos to potential buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill1109 View Post
    They definitely insist that the waterproof glue is enough to keep the water out of the head.
    One more thing to look at is the press-fit bezel ring, which is IMO the most probable cause of water ingress (not the side switch!). I'm willing to pay a few bucks more for a threaded interface, which would ensure better waterproofing and easier access to emitter (if I decide to swap it for a NW or G2).

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tam17 View Post
    One more thing to look at is the press-fit bezel ring, which is IMO the most probable cause of water ingress (not the side switch!). I'm willing to pay a few bucks more for a threaded interface, which would ensure better waterproofing and easier access to emitter (if I decide to swap it for a NW or G2).

Cheers
    Yeah I guess you are right, there might be some design flaws but they probably already mass produced the light, so no choice but to market it.

Maybe they can just omit the ipx8 rating? hehe

Under the switch sticker, there is just a flat circuit board with no holes in it. As long as that circuit board is sealed on the outside, water won't leak in, even if water gets under the switch sticker.

I like the way the dual-rubber-boot version looks. Can we get that version?

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    I like the way the dual-rubber-boot version looks. Can we get that version?
    It sure looks better, but I doubt that any rubber buttons can withstand terrors of pocket EDCing a side-switch light. Maybe, if they're recessed deep enough.

Cheers

I think it's really disappointing to see all these quality issues on a product that is supposed to be great, because expected and advertised to be so by a well known company.

Since the first moment I've seen the light I've thought of the possible issues due to the sticker switch cover that reminds me of a 30 year old torch that was used by my grandfather. Imagine the poor durability of such a solution and how it can brake in time if put under a little stress as the outdoor usage implies. (imagine leaving it in direct sunlight, using it in a very humid environment or a very hot environment. Simply the sticker (sticker!!) will crack or peel off, leaving you with a nearly useless and badly exposed tool). But I would have never imagined something like this: http://www.cpfitaliaforum.it/phpbb/v...=3012&start=80 (it is in Italian but the images speak for themselves or otherwise use translate.google.com).

Quote Originally Posted by windmill View Post
    I think it's really disappointing to see all these quality issues on a product that is supposed to be great, because expected and advertised to be so by a well known company.

Since the first moment I've seen the light I've thought of the possible issues due to the sticker switch cover that reminds me of a 30 year old torch that was used by my grandfather. Imagine the poor durability of such a solution and how it can brake in time if put under a little stress as the outdoor usage implies. (imagine leaving it in direct sunlight, using it in a very humid environment or a very hot environment. Simply the sticker (sticker!!) will crack or peel off, leaving you with a nearly useless and badly exposed tool). But I would have never imagined something like this: http://www.cpfitaliaforum.it/phpbb/v...=3012&start=80 (it is in Italian but the images speak for themselves or otherwise use translate.google.com).
    I agree that the sticker switch doesn't seem conducive for an outdoors environment. But I guess it depends on what adhesive was used - some modern adhesives are totally waterproof and can withstand extreme heat,cold,pressure etc. If Nitecore used one of these types of adhesive then it shouldn't be an issue, similar with the switch cover itself.

It would be really good to hear from people who brought these when they first come out (they've been out for some months now?) and see how they've performed, especially those who have been using them in 'explorer' type scenarios.

Well, received mine today. We're still likely not to carry it though it looks a LOT nicer in person than in the photos. Being really anal about details, the mode sticker cover is not quite centred and it irks me. Luckily it comes with a spare sticker so I might remove and change it. Having the sticker offset means the locator beacon blink hits the edge of the hole. It's a tiny bit smaller than the C20C.

It may very well be the smallest 18650 light for now. I would love to own one of these after the concerns with the waterproof issue have been addressed.

Now running the EC2 with the Nitecore diffuser. Can anyone say McGizmo Mule? It's effectively replaced it this week for around the home use. I'm starting to like this thing...

I gave my EC1 some time before I passed judgement on it but now I have to confirm the initial impression: I don't like it.

The low level is too high and the thought that the red LED keeps happily blinking away the battery juice in my pocket are the negative factors. The locking mode is too complicate so it's easier to loosen the tailcap but when you tighten it again the light comes on always at max level.

OTOH the beam is good enough and nobody can complain about the output/size ratio.

Oh well, win some lose some ...
    Last edited by Kilovolt; 09-10-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast