SLA charge rate Junsi 106B+

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy, quick question. Need to charge power wheels 12V 9.5A battery, what charge rate should I choose? 1/10C or is that too low?

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok well I know during the initial phase of charging very nearly 100% of the energy goes into the battery, so I am going to choose a somewhat high charge rate of 3 amps. Hopefully the Junsi will be smart enough to lower its rate as the battery fills up.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Vegas. I went through this a while back concerning my Dad's (1915-2011, R.I.P.) 24 Volt wheelchair battery. The battery consists of two 12 volt 34 Ah AGM batteries in series.

The Junsi chargers do utilize the proper CC/CV algorithm for charging Pb batteries. One thing that may be of concern, is that if the Power Wheels uses a "gel cell" battery, as I recall, a slower rate is recommended than for typical wet cell, or AGM batteries. In my case, I was limited to a 1/10 C rate anyway, due to the small wires I used.

I'm pretty sure there is discussion about this, as well as charging Pb batteries in general, in the huge Junsi thread over on RC Groups, if you want to check it out. I punched in "Pb" in the "search this thread" function and came up with a gazillion hits. Perhaps a more precise search parameter would yield fewer results.

Dave

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome, thanks Dave. If I remember, the main issue with gel cell vs other types of lead acid is they were very intolerant of high float voltages. Something to do with the gelled electrolyte separating and once it does its unable to recombine?
Anyhow, I chose 3A but the charger shut off at 4 AH a safety I forgot to shut off. So I restarted it and it's currently down to 1.53A charge rate. I will search that big old thread and see if I can find anything.